Sam Gagner (will not be bought out)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd rather convert Lecavalier to goalie then let Morin take some slappers at him until he decides to retire.

I wonder where they plan to put Gagner though. Obviously if they're keeping him they have some sort of a plan.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The interesting thing is he didn't play badly last year according to the numbers, even if his GM didn't like him (his last two years in Edmonton he stunk out the joint, he's starting to sound like MDZ, when he's good, he's very good, when he's bad he's awful).

According to Hockey Reference (check other sites?):
His EV Corsi was pretty solid some years:
2009-10: CF% rel 4.7 Fenwick rel 5.8
2010-11: CF% rel 4.8 Fenwick rel 5.2
2014-15: CF% rel 5.7 Fenwick rel 3.9

It's a gamble, and if he has a good year, do you gamble real money to keep him, but he can buy a year for the young forwards to develop.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd say this makes B.Schenn expendable.

I don't think this was done with trading Schenn in mind. Schenn is younger and his PPG has slowly increased every season. He finally found a niche at RW as well. We will regret trading him just because we acquired Sam Gagner, who may or may not be here beyond this upcoming season (UFA next summer).

I do think this signifies that Lecavalier will not be here after his $2 millon bonus. It's also insurance in case Read doesn't bounce back from last years dismal season. You can't have too much depth. My guess at lines for next season based on Gagner being here, White re-signed and Lecavalier gone:

Line 1: Raffl-Giroux-Voracek (I still like Raffl here because of his board work)
Line 2: Gagner-Couturier-Schenn
Line 3: Read-Laughton-Simmonds
Line 4: White-Bellemare-VandeVelde

Umberger healthy scratch

That's a much better 3rd line than the last 2 seasons, that's for sure. Can try Gagner with Laughton and Simmonds too. Lots of options.

Other possibility:

Line 1: Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Line 2: Read-Couturier-Schenn
Line 3: Umberger-Gagner-Simmonds

I prefer option 1

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I hope he improves to the point where we can flip him at next year's deadline. I just don't really see him as fit going past this year. Konecny could be banging on the door & you have NAK joining the pro level as well.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Exactly what I was thinking. Move him for a natural LW.

Easier said than done.

How about Schenn brothers for Boedker and a 3rd?

Arizona still needs veteran defensemen and salary, and Luke would help in the tank for Matthews lol.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Philadelphia Flyers, where dying careers go to be revived.

Give him extremely sheltered offensive minutes and let him get his trade value up.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Line 1: Raffl-Giroux-Voracek (I still like Raffl here because of his board work)

Umberger healthy scratch

I thought he didn't play LW.

Yotes fans were saying he plays C and RW but his best position was at RW, they didn't seem very keen on his C abilities.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
The Flyers have too many forwards on this team already and still haven't re-signed White so it is a bit of a surprise that they already said that Gagne is going to be playing for the Flyers. Maybe they can package a deal of Umberger and a 2nd for a scrub player.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I don't think this was done with trading Schenn in mind. Schenn is younger and his PPG has slowly increased every season. He finally found a niche at RW as well. We will regret trading him just because we acquired Sam Gagner, who may or may not be here beyond this upcoming season (UFA next summer).

I do think this signifies that Lecavalier will not be here after his $2 millon bonus. It's also insurance in case Read doesn't bounce back from last years dismal season. You can't have too much depth. My guess at lines for next season based on Gagner being here, White re-signed and Lecavalier gone:

Umberger healthy scratch

That's a much better 3rd line than the last 2 seasons, that's for sure. Can try Gagner with Laughton and Simmonds too. Lots of options.

Other possibility:

Line 1: Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Line 2: Read-Couturier-Schenn
Line 3: Umberger-Gagner-Simmonds

I prefer option 1

I see where you coming from.

If Gagner is comfortable on the LW, yeah no biggies. But from what I read he's a borderline NHL center/middle-six right winger with a good offensive touch. I fully expect him on our third line.

Also, Hextall made it known, he wants another top-six forward. Since he does everything to increase the Flyers cap space I believe he won't sign a pricey FA and will try to get one by trading.

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
Great guy for PP2 and shootouts, adds skill and speed to the lineup. Saying all the right things, glad he's got a chip on his shoulder. He's been playing on a bottom-feeder literally every season of his NHL career. Lets see what he can do with a (hopefully) playoff team surrounding him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Perhaps Hextall already has a plan to get rid of Lecavalier so hes adding people in anticipation of room opening up?

I can dream.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Read will stay with Couts, they have chemistry going back years, they also pair on the PK.

I think Gagner as a center will not happen in Philly, he's a "fail" there, so like Schenn, it's a matter of putting him in a position to succeed.

Can he play LW? Will Umberger be healthy?

Remember, Umberger, even with his injuries, doesn't score much less than Gagner and is a much better defensive player - if healthy, he'd win that contest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad