Sam Gagner Appreciation Thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wish he could have scored a couple in his last game, he sure had some chances, and that isn't all bad when you're getting those. he scored the only goal in a recent game to get us a valuable point as well. He just doesn't have sufficient speed now to play at this level and his hands have left him. Happens to a lot of older players (its weird to say even that as time flies) who got banged up a lot.

Always like the person and player and his heart. He doesn't need good luck in the future, he's a solid guy that will always land, but looks like the NHL career is pretty much done.

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
If he was cheaper I would of liked to have him around for the playoffs. Would of been good depth to have if the injury bug hit. Liked him for his 2nd stay here. Effort was always there and he could pot a few still.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Thanks Sam. You'll be missed again by many. Appreciated his "give all" in ever shift he gave us this year. I hope he can get another 1 year deal somewhere or a Euro/KHL team offers him something. Tough though with his skating.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Feel bad for Sam, hopefully he doesn't take it too hard. Maybe he can perform well in Detroit and get himself a 1 year deal there and it's nearby the Toronto area for him.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have always loved Sam. Works hard, great charater. Sadly his speed is just too slow for todays NHL. I am not sure he will even get offered a contract next year.

I kind of wonder if he has back problems as well. Not only is he not fast but he seems to have trouble with extending out for pucks. That used to be a real strong aspect of his play, that he could wingspan out there and react to plays, cover more and move the puck around more because he could extend. When he was younger he was dynamic like that. He has no reach now. On his first scoring opportunity last night he scores on that type of play earlier in his career. Now if a puck isn't perfectly in position he just seems unable to do much.

Kudos for the Oilers to give Sam another leg up in the NHL. They didn't have to do that, and Sam was one of our better forwards closing out last season, but its time to pack it up or maybe go back to Europe. Albeit the big ice doesn't suit him especially now.

Reactions: Tw0Shoes

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I'd be for him coming back next season for depth at the lowest salary possible. I'm thinking that's the only way he plays hockey next year with having the family in Edmonton.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Really wanted to see Gagner in an Oiler jersey during the playoffs, if we make it.

Seemed like a popular member in the room as well.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Unfortunately when you are that overpaid, you are going to end up being a salary dump on a contending team looking to add players. I bet he would have loved to play in the playoffs here but it is what it is.

I would be open to bringing him back on a 1 year deal around $750k

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Sam, you did pretty well with what you had and nobody ever questioned your heart. Best of luck in your future. Hopefully you get to end your career on your terms. You’ve got a great “normal” life ahead of you and I sincerely hope its a long and happy one.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I've always liked Sam, always struck me as a legitimately good person and even if the results weren't equal to what he was doing in his prime, he worked incredibly hard, especially in the past couple months it felt like he was giving us everything he had in the tank, I appreciate that and it didn't go unnoticed.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I have always loved Sam. Works hard, great charater. Sadly his speed is just too slow for todays NHL. I am not sure he will even get offered a contract next year.

I'd take him back as an extra forward next year. Much rather him in that role than Khaira/PRussell/etc. A good influence on our younger players and a good locker room presence. And he's shown that if he plays occasionally, filling in for injuries and such, he can still be a positive impact player. Scored some clutch goals for us this year.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Hope he comes back to coach one day. Reinvented himself to stay in the league when many would have packed it in. Good luck Gags.

Reactions: ujju2

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Even if he does, you'd assume it would be a 2-way deal. Makes you wonder if he'd just decide to hang em up rather than bouncing around for another couple years. Got to be tough with a young family.

He was certainly one of my favourite players when we drafted him and it was great to see him end up back here even if it was just for a year. All the best to him. I'd love to see him back in the organization in some capacity once he hangs em up.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Even if he does, you'd assume it would be a 2-way deal. Makes you wonder if he'd just decide to hang em up rather than bouncing around for another couple years. Got to be tough with a young family.

He was certainly one of my favourite players when we drafted him and it was great to see him end up back here even if it was just for a year. All the best to him. I'd love to see him back in the organization in some capacity once he hangs em up.

I agree on all points, even if he chooses to retire, only a smidgen of players get to win the Cup. He’ll always have that 8 point night against Chicago.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Thx for the memories Gags.

Glad we have you over Spooner.

(I don't see us signing him for league min either, as I'd imagine Holland would rather have a speedy 25 year old with upside).

Getting Caggiula back seems more likely.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'm honestly choked he didn't get to play a playoff game here. Trade made sense given his huge salary relative to his role, but I've always been a fan of Gagner. Class act, played his heart out, did whatever the org asked of him without complaint. Wish him nothing but the best and hope he can show well in Detroit.

Last edited:
Reactions: VainGretzky

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Probably the last year of his NHL career. The expectations were always very high given where he was drafted, but he did well for himself given his objective limitations. More than 800 games in the NHL spanning 13 years.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Like most was a big fan early.

Got more and more frustrated as he would look good for stints and terrible for others. Far too inconsistent.

Generally weak defensively and miscast as a center.

This last year you could tell he tried as hard as he could every shift and his effort plus experience finally had him playing somewhat decent. His last stint was his most mistake free time as an Oiler.

As a depth player he was acceptable while obviously overpaid.

In short I liked him more this year than the years before he was traded.

Best of luck to him. Certainly a good character guy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's a great guy, maybe he'll have a job with the organization post playing career but I don't think we actually have room next season just to gift away even depth roles.

Benson is gonna be pushing hard for a spot next season and the top 6 is pretty much filled up. Part of me wouldn't be that shocked to see Puljujarvi's agent slap some sense into him and force him into camp next year too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad