Confirmed with Link: Sam Gagner 1 year extension

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I get Ogee's concern.

The front office language is always that "if the kid outplays the vet he'll get the minutes" yet come January no matter how shitty the vets look Babs/Blash has them logging big minutes.

I'm not sure that will happen here, we obviously do need some bodies, but I get the concern 100%.

Gagner isn't really a bad player IMO, and it's possible he is actually a better player as of today than someone like Veleno.

But even saying that, would have been totally fine with not signing him.

Guy has consistently put up pretty good possession metrics.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We need some right shot forwards and Gagner beings a similar 4th line game to Glendening while actually providing some offense. Don't mind this
Yeah, maybe 3 or 4 games a season. Take away his lucky hat trick game and he would've had less points than LGD.

Because Geno is no good
Neither is Gagner.

I puked a little in my mouth, and I'm going full vomit when I see Gagner on the PP or starting OT. I hope this is just an insurance for injuries, but Blash will give him tons of ice time because he's Blah.

The best way to force a coach like Blah to develop youngsters is to take away the veteran garbage like Gagner. Don't like this signing at all. I'd rather see Pearson, he can't be any worse than Gagner, Nielsen, or Brome (lol, low bar).

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It's one year and a right handed shot. Gagner is definitely a 12/13 forward, but it isn't the end of the world. It's a cheap depth signing. I was hoping it would be Bobby Ryan instead, but oh well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I puked a little in my mouth, and I'm going full vomit when I see Gagner on the PP or starting OT. I hope this is just an insurance for injuries, but Blash will give him tons of ice time because he's Blah.

He should NOT be on a PP unit. I don't care if he is one of our only RH forwards.

Reactions: Gniwder

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm not expecting Gagner to play 82 games. But 50-55 isn't out of the realm of possibility.

So if he's playing 55 games at 15:26 ATOI that is 55 games at 2nd/3rd line minutes less that could go to a youngster that needs that playing time to make those rookie mistakes and learn from them.

(Yeah, Gagner actually played 15 minutes a game with Detroit. With how little I noticed the guy I was assuming he played 12 or less until I looked it up.)

But which youngster that has a future with the Wings? Any promising forward that makes it out of camp won't be blocked by Gagner.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Gagner isn't really a bad player IMO, and it's possible he is actually a better player as of today than someone like Veleno.

But even saying that, would have been totally fine with not signing him.

Guy has consistently put up pretty good possession metrics.

That chart shows that, despite solid possession metrics, he provides nothing. He's a black hole.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I'm not worried about the kids getting minutes. This is a depth signing in case Ray/Berggren aren't ready. They may also have some sort of taxi squad again and you don't want kids sitting around not playing. I'd be shocked if Veleno and Smith aren't on the team playing. The only guy he might bump would be Pearson, but there is no guarantee that he is going to be an NHLer either.

If Stevie feels like they are part of the teams long term success he gets them ice time. Ras got playing time, Zadina got playing time, Veleno got playing time, Smith saw some time. The only two younger guys that have really sat were Svech and Cholo, both of whom were clearly not in the teams plans.

This year I think Veleno and Smith join the full time group and maybe one of JB or Ray make it out of camp. I wouldn't be surprised to see both needing some AHL seasoning though. Seider will be there too.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
But which youngster that has a future with the Wings? Any promising forward that makes it out of camp won't be blocked by Gagner.
Veleno, Smith, Berggren, Pearson in that order.

If Gagner plays and Veleno and Berggren get sent to GR, I'm going into boycott mode even if Seider is on the team. Gagner is a plug, basically a slower version of LGD with a little puck luck.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He should NOT be on a PP unit. I don't care if he is one of our only RH forwards.

Blashill was playing him 2 minutes a night on the PP.

Also on your previous comment, Gagner's CF was 6th best on the team. I think that says more about the rest of the team than Gagner though.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He's getting depth squared before any other moves. Depth signings are depth signings.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Why let go to Svechnikov and sign Gagner, don't get it
I believe Svetch was offered a 2-way contract but not enough to qualify him. Maybe he'll be back if he doesn't find a better deal or another team he likes. Don't really know

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Normally pretty negative lol

Sam Gagner - the kind of vet you want around your kids.
The high-end first-round talent who's career never went anywhere because of consistency and defensive issues.
The spinsters never stop.
Like how Thomas Vanek was a true pro and positive influence for our kids. Vanek - the guy in the middle of a gambling ring, who never came to camp in shape and spent the first month of the season skating off the fat.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Sam Gagner - the kind of vet you want around your kids.
The high-end first-round talent who's career never went anywhere because of consistency and defensive issues.
The spinsters never stop.
Like how Thomas Vanek was a true pro and positive influence for our kids. Vanek - the guy in the middle of a gambling ring, who never came to camp in shape and spent the first month of the season skating off the fat.

I find myself agreeing with MBH.

Is blood raining from the heavens? Is it the end times?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Cats and dogs, living together

Not a big deal.
Like the Staal move.
A meh-player.
On a meh-team.

Just holding a place,
Next year's the center draft.
Hopefully you land your future C and then you head to the future.

(raises hand)

"I was told there'd be an interpretive dance counter remark"

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It's like insurance signing for money amount , man we just lost Glendening for 1.5, I don't know

Reactions: PelagicJoe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Luke was a vet signing I'd have been OK with. But hey, I'll get to see him fire backhanders into goalies crests at the American Airlines Center this season.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
tenor.gif

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Makes a bit more sense now that LGD news is out. Would have made more sense to overpay LGD and toss Gagner, but maybe Luke just wanted to win.

Whatever, I'm rooting for Veleno AND Pearson to make the team now.

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad