Confirmed with Link: Sam Gagner 1 year extension

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Not for me. I thought he had a decent cup of coffee when he first came over from Edmonton (pre-COVID world), but last year he went invisible until the last month or two when he remembered he needed a contract. I would have swerved personally.

Obviously an easy body to put in the press box if any of the kids look ready, but still, meh.

Reactions: Ulysses31

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Love this. Gagner will never move the needle on our rebuild but he is a great guy, adds some depth offence with skill, a desperately needed right shot and a good right shot.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I’d like to hate every signing this year because I want to be the worst team in the league and lock in Wright, savoie, or lambert. Good start.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Hope this is not indicative of the moves SY has planned for.

It is 100% indicative of the approach. Yzerman will be brining in low cost, short term players to add depth. Not sure we should expect anything different. We'll probably see a namestnikov type signing as well.

Im not sure how many top of the lineup players would really consider signing here.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It is 100% indicative of the approach. Yzerman will be brining in low cost, short term players to add depth. Not sure we should expect anything different. We'll probably see a namestnikov type signing as well.

Im not sure how many top of the lineup players would really consider signing here.

Ww can only do that for so long though.

I agree with depth it's just too bad it cant include skill or being younger to perhaps be here beyond 12 months, rinse repeat.

Nothing against Gagner whatsoever

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
We need some right shot forwards and Gagner beings a similar 4th line game to Glendening while actually providing some offense. Don't mind this

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm ok with this. Gagner is pretty versatile and if the kids are pushing then he can just sit or be waived. He's fine depth.

That's if we're thinking that Blashill doesn't sit the kids in favor of a 4th liner who doesn't have much left in the tank.

We know that Raymond, Berggren, Givani Smith and Veleno bring more than Nielsen and Gagner, but Nielsen (unless bought out) and Gagner are going to get some games next year and that means less time for the rookies. Right handed shot or not, I'm not cool with that choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad