Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I kind of hope the Habs trade him.
While I appreciate your view point, perhaps a bit of substance to your point is warranted?
Why? He would get a higher return?
Maybe because you think he is the worst of the 3 current goalies?
Maybe he is bad for the the tank so many embrace?

Just curious as to why some want him traded.

I'm not sure what he's worth salary wise, but I'd be very reluctant to go longer than 2 years. I feel either Primeau will grab the spot, or it's easy to get a better goalie on the UFA market pretty much every year. Down the road we have Dobes and Fowler coming up.
It's easy to grab a UFA goalie pretty much every year? Yeah maybe we can get Charlie Lindgren or Jack Campbell...

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
While I appreciate your view point, perhaps a bit of substance to your point is warranted?
Why? He would get a higher return?
Maybe because you think he is the worst of the 3 current goalies?
Maybe he is bad for the the tank so many embrace?

Just curious as to why some want him traded.

It's easy to grab a UFA goalie pretty much every year? Yeah maybe we can get Charlie Lindgren or Jack Campbell...
I'm assuming it's because he would get us the higher return by far. I don't think the rest of the NHL values Primeau that much and not sure teams are willing to give a decent return for Allen TBH.

Sam is younger, potential of being a solid goalie in the NHL and his win with TC last spring definitely raised his value and opened some eyes around the league. Plus the team picking him up control his next contract situation..

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm assuming it's because he would get us the higher return by far. I don't think the rest of the NHL values Primeau that much and not sure teams are willing to give a decent return for Allen TBH.

Sam is younger, potential of being a solid goalie in the NHL and his win with TC last spring definitely raised his value and opened some eyes around the league. Plus the team picking him up control his next contract situation..
I 💯 % agree that any team needing a competent goalie it would be Montembeault.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think Vejmelka is a fair comparable though. He at least had a season of 50+ starts when he signed.

Maybe 3x3?
...And even then, he signed during the season, when he hadn't been the best netminder (for the whole season anyways).

3x3 would be possible. Team-friendly, but possible, due to that 3rd year.

Reactions: Canadienna

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

Ya but why trade him? The guy you describe is the guy they should keep. Plus he wants to be here despite being in a rebuild. If (a big if) Primeau works out, then you have 2 solid goaltenders like most other teams. Will the return really be that great for him? What’s acceptable?

Reactions: Tyson

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I like Monty, and I think he's a good choice to bridge the G position until our top G prospects are ready. Allen was signed to do that, but it might be better overall for the team to move allen first, even if we don't get as much as we would have for monty. Monty can whether the next few seasons and he might even solidify into a starter.

Trading him and keeping Allen has more cons and risk IMO. The worst case scenario with keeping Monty is we move on via trade (for next to nothing) because he's only so-so. The worse case scenario with keeping Allen is not being able to move him at all and him hurting the team who is starting to try to win games/holding up a roster spot for a better G. I'd bet on Monty/Primeau as a bridge duo than riding out a dminishing player in Allen.

The ball is in Monty's court. I think he has what it takes to take over the starter spot, but I would understand if there's a better situation for him elsewhere and he cooperates with the contract that team would want in exchange for playing time.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
if you want S.M then the price is a 1ST + 2nd + I get to pick prospect you have.
Not a chance we get that return. Personally, i'd be shocked if we got a 1st. A second round pick is what i'd expect.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Not a chance we get that return. Personally, i'd be shocked if we got a 1st. A second round pick is what i'd expect.
I can see Monty for Holloway + 2nd + Campbell. For all of Soups troubles (and salary) all I read on the guy is that players love him, not the worst goalie to have as a back up or in the AHL.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I can see Monty for Holloway + 2nd + Campbell. For all of Soups troubles (and salary) all I read on the guy is that players love him, not the worst goalie to have as a back up or in the AHL.
If Campbell is attached, sure, the price goes up dramatically.

Reactions: themilosh

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Sam is only 26. Lower cap hit, longer term (4-5 years) should be the move here

If some of his advanced stats numbers are right than best case scenario, Sam continues to improve and solidifies himself as a solid NHL starter as the team gets better and enters its winning window. We get a bargain in net.

Worst case scenario, Sam plateaus as a serviceable 1B/backup type of goalie. At an appropriate cap hit and his age this kind of goalie is always movable. Low risk.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
30 save shut out for Campbell last night.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Ya but why trade him? The guy you describe is the guy they should keep. Plus he wants to be here despite being in a rebuild. If (a big if) Primeau works out, then you have 2 solid goaltenders like most other teams. Will the return really be that great for him? What’s acceptable?
I'm talking 1st round pick ++ especially if we're taking on Campbell

Reactions: jaffy27

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
if you want S.M then the price is a 1ST + 2nd + I get to pick prospect you have.
Not gonna happen. We’re kind of screwed because of this looming contract possibly.
Don’t want to overpay to keep him so if teams are smart they can sniff that out unless we got a decent bidding war going on between a few teams which is very possible.

I don’t see us getting a massive package for him but hopefully one solid asset. I’d take a first and run

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I know the Habs have a plethora of pieces they can dangle to improve the team. Hughes better be sure if he trades a guy who is coming into his own for a prospect and a high draft pick.
Think of how much Monty has improved from day 1 and think how much better he could be in a year.
Yes he is probably the most in demand goalie but I would rather keep him unless the return is too good to pass up.
He is a solid goalie. I am always at ease when he is in net.
Another thing that impresses me is how he is handling playing in his home province, the kid doesn't get rattled.

Reactions: jaffy27 and japhi

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Monty putting Hughes in a tough spot, Playing great hockey and getting better. Looks like an NHL starter, and who knows what his upside is? If you trade him, does he become a top 15 on another team? Look at Ullmark and Hill, goalies get better with age and not at all uncommon for a goalie to break out on their mid to late 20s.

I think he has forced them to sign him, this team has good G prospect depth but not sure the team wants to wait 5 years for a guy like Fowler, and no evidence Primeau is ready to carry a load. So if you trade Monty, even for a later 1st, you are likely using that first to try and find a guy like Monty as soon as next year.

But can you move Allen?

Very tricky situation to navigagte.

I 💯 % agree that any team needing a competent goalie it would be Montembeault.
You mean a team like Montreal?

Reactions: viceroy and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Monty putting Hughes in a tough spot, Playing great hockey and getting better. Looks like an NHL starter, and who knows what his upside is? If you trade him, does he become a top 15 on another team? Look at Ullmark and Hill, goalies get better with age and not at all uncommon for a goalie to break out on their mid to late 20s.

I think he has forced them to sign him, this team has good G prospect depth but not sure the team wants to wait 5 years for a guy like Fowler, and no evidence Primeau is ready to carry a load. So if you trade Monty, even for a later 1st, you are likely using that first to try and find a guy like Monty as soon as next year.

But can you move Allen?

Very tricky situation to navigagte.

You mean a team like Montreal?
I am not on the trade Monty bandwagon but he is the only goalie we have that would interest any team.

Reactions: jaffy27 and le_sean

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
To me, Monty is worth 4 x 3.85M. He's a 1B goaltender. Currently a slightly below average starter with potential to be an above average starter if he can solve his consistency issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad