Eklund Rumor: Sam Bennett to Boston

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
As a Leaf fan I would give up our 1st in 2018 and a guy like Leivo for Bennett. I still think he can be an impact player.

I haven't took much notice on Leivo (well really the leafs in general, if you're willing to give up the 1st and Leivo, id have to take it. Just because its not conditional or protected.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Look at the age differences, look at the importance of youth in the NHL, yes I think Bennett can get a conditional 27th-31st OV pick, he has upside unlike Grabner.

If by upside unlike Grabner, you mean Bennett will never score 27 goals you're probably right.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
If by upside unlike Grabner, you mean Bennett will never score 27 goals you're probably right.

You do know what upside means right? He can become a 60 point player if given the chance, or he could stay be 20-40 points for his career while being a 3rd line player without the chance, he still has the upside of becoming a top line player, he literally played on the 2nd line for part of his first season and has been placed on the 3rd line due to left shooting depth on the Flames, he was given a chance tonight on the top line and he may have gotten points due to the duo, but he very well earned the promotion, he's looked pretty deadly throughout the season either than his first 15 or so games, hes a decade younger than grabner, if a team doesn't want to overpay to pry him from us, why trade him? Teams will know hes been stuck behind depth and if they want to give up a 2nd/1st and a prospect to pry him away and try him in the top 6, they'll see what a smart move it was for them.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
You do know what upside means right? He can become a 60 point player if given the chance, or he could stay be 20-40 points for his career while being a 3rd line player without the chance, he still has the upside of becoming a top line player, he literally played on the 2nd line for part of his first season and has been placed on the 3rd line due to left shooting depth on the Flames, he was given a chance tonight on the top line and he may have gotten points due to the duo, but he very well earned the promotion, he's looked pretty deadly throughout the season either than his first 15 or so games, hes a decade younger than grabner, if a team doesn't want to overpay to pry him from us, why trade him? Teams will know hes been stuck behind depth and if they want to give up a 2nd/1st and a prospect to pry him away and try him in the top 6, they'll see what a smart move it was for them.

Look, I'm just trying to get you to pump the brakes a little. That is WAY too much to ask for Bennett. He may hold that much value to you and maybe even Treliving. He doesn't to anyone else. Bottom 6 guys don't usually command that kind of return. For example, Pat Maroon is a fan favorite here. He scored 27 goals last year on McDavid wing. He's on pace for 20 this year. He is 6'3" and 230 lbs. He plays with an edge. He has a ultra cheap contract (thanks Anaheim for retaining 25%!) and is a UFA at the end of the season. He plays a top 6 role, usually glued to McDavid's wing on the top line.

I expect no more than a 2nd for him at the deadline.

Reports have Chiarelli holding out for a late 1st. Hey that's great! But realistically he won't get it. If he gets a 2nd and a prospect everyone in Edmonton, with the exception of Patty Maroon, will be happy.

Bennett holds a lot of value to the Flames and a number of their fans. More value than anyone else really holds for him. Teams aren't likely to cough up a 1st for a guy like that even if he is 21 and might get better.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Look, I'm just trying to get you to pump the brakes a little. That is WAY too much to ask for Bennett. He may hold that much value to you and maybe even Treliving. He doesn't to anyone else. Bottom 6 guys don't usually command that kind of return. For example, Pat Maroon is a fan favorite here. He scored 27 goals last year on McDavid wing. He's on pace for 20 this year. He is 6'3" and 230 lbs. He plays with an edge. He has a ultra cheap contract (thanks Anaheim for retaining 25%!) and is a UFA at the end of the season. He plays a top 6 role, usually glued to McDavid's wing on the top line.

Reports have Chiarelli holding out for a late 1st. Hey that's great! But realistically he won't get it. If he gets a 2nd and a prospect everyone in Edmonton, with the exception of Patty Maroon, will be happy.

Bennett holds a lot of value to the Flames and a number of their fans. More value than anyone else really holds for him. Teams aren't likely to cough up a 1st for a guy like that even if he is 21 and might get better.

That is your opinion, and no wonder GM's won't give up 1sts for RENTALS or soon(1-2 extra years) to be RENTALS, I wouldn't either, but when it comes to a young cost controlled player who has been stuck on the 3rd line due to depth and trying to even out scoring, GM's shouldn't be scared to cough up a late conditional 1st for a player they would be trying to get to build for their future and not just a cup run, that's a huge difference in the NHL today, I'm not saying we're going to get it, but for me to trade a high overall pick who has shown his potential in stretches and 99% of Flames fans wish he could have a chance in a top 6 role like he is now (well for a single game) I hope he sticks

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Pat Maroon is turning 30 in 2 months and is not cost controlled. He has a career high of 42 points, while getting playing time with McDavid... These are seriously the worst examples. You realize how a 21 year old RFA's value is entirely different?

It's all a moot point. The Flames aren't trading Bennett for a late first either

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't even trade Bennett for a 1st. Bennett is going to be a solid top 6 player some day. It's like NHL fans only think the McDavids of the world exist and guys over 25 who begin to be excellent players simply blink into existence I guess. I mean, we have one of our own home grown late bloomers currently on our roster in Backlund. Nobody can argue with the near selke value he'd bring to any team. Exercise patience, the tools are there, Bennett just needs to figure out how to make it work at the nhl level. He's 21 freaking years old. There is nothing the Bruins would be willing to part with that I'd move Bennett for.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I wouldn't even trade Bennett for a 1st. Bennett is going to be a solid top 6 player some day. It's like NHL fans only think the McDavids of the world exist and guys over 25 who begin to be excellent players simply blink into existence I guess. I mean, we have one of our own home grown late bloomers currently on our roster in Backlund. Nobody can argue with the near selke value he'd bring to any team. Exercise patience, the tools are there, Bennett just needs to figure out how to make it work at the nhl level. He's 21 freaking years old. There is nothing the Bruins would be willing to part with that I'd move Bennett for.

Pastrnak I would, but obviously they'd laugh and hang up.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

I get the like for Bennet and also see the upside and hope he puts it together. But he also kind of reminds me of Brett Connoly - another player I really liked. He kept working hard out there, had all the tools in the tool-box, and every game you just thought - 'O.k., this is the game he puts it together.' - both in Tampa and Boston. He got two second rounders but could never take that next step and got waived. Definitely too much to pay. He's still in the NHL but never became an impact top 6 player.

Long random way for me to say that holding onto him for his potential is fine but don't be surprised if he can't put it all together - the NHL is difficult - and don't expect teams to pay a major premium on the potential rewards.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Long random way for me to say that holding onto him for his potential is fine but don't be surprised if he can't put it all together - the NHL is difficult - and don't expect teams to pay a major premium on the potential rewards.

That's the reason trading Bennett makes no sense for the Flames. Better to keep him and hope he developes.

Reactions: TrentonF

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I just Google searched him but that only helps on with stats, 134 games played with 131 points in the AHL over the last four years and in two try outs in the NHL he has 59 games I think it was but only 12 points, he was hot in 3 games getting 3 A's about two weeks ago but has only played 10 total this season in the NHL, older player but still young ish.

Yeah I think I'd pull the trigger on a 1st and Czarnik even. He's not a bad player but there just isnt much upside there I dont think.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I get the like for Bennet and also see the upside and hope he puts it together. But he also kind of reminds me of Brett Connoly - another player I really liked. He kept working hard out there, had all the tools in the tool-box, and every game you just thought - 'O.k., this is the game he puts it together.' - both in Tampa and Boston. He got two second rounders but could never take that next step and got waived. Definitely too much to pay. He's still in the NHL but never became an impact top 6 player.

Which is more then a fair opinion to hold, and one our own fans squabble over a lot. I've simply seen enough of Bennett to make my decision as to hold onto him (barring an over payment), I could be wrong, but I that's my position as a fan who sees him play regularly. I believe he will be a top 6 player who can regularly contribute on offence and be a physical beast as well. Hell, he's already a fearless (almost reckless player) and regularly wins fights against guys who have 4 inches and 20-25 pounds over him. For that reason alone, I absolutely love Bennett as is, and I'm looking forward to more.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I'm not sure why the Bruins would be interested in Sam bennett. I like the player but he's kind of the wrong fit right now. Need a RW.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Yeah I think I'd pull the trigger on a 1st and Czarnik even. He's not a bad player but there just isnt much upside there I dont think.

It's a good and fair offer, I still believe in him, an overpayment for me would be a 1st + Cza, but i don't know if I could/would pull the trigger, If he was a couple years younger he'd have better upside but im not sure if I could since he's 25 and can't put it together in the NHL, he has extremely well stats for the A, why do you guys have his upside at 3rd liner? Are his stats inflated a bit for being a "vet" in the A? (Imo anyone over 24 in the A is considered a vet there) and he plays against younger less developed players, but when he comes up he plays against men who are developed and matured and just can't put it together in the faster game?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00