Sam Bennett = Nail Yakupov?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd take him.

He works his ass off. Has had some terrible luck so far.
But whats the highest draft pick you'd give up for him? At this point the most I'd even consider is a 2nd rounder tbh. Don't think the gambles worth a 1st round pick, and thats why Calgary probably keeps him and prays he turns this around or watches him bust in front of their very eyes.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest he gets more points in his next 13 games than he has in his first 13 games.
You dare to make such unrealistic predictions that a player clearly cannot uphold?

jks. Everytime I watch Flames games, he plays really well and he’s great on the puck but the “Yakupov” I see in him is that he really doesn’t use his teammates effectively. Seems like the junior mindset of “I’ll just walk around everybody” is still there

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Not every top 5 pick ends up being a good player. I still think he'll carve out a decently long NHL career, but I could see him being a journeyman player that signs a bunch of 1 or 2 year deals throughout his career. Don't think he will be a player that gets that long term deal unless he turns it around in a hurry.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
We have used almost every excuse in the book over the year for him (awful linemates, bad luck, no PP time, only 21, transitioning to center, etc).

Its gotten to the point where us Flames fans get excited when he has a shift where he ALMOST gets a point but he or his teammate can't finish.

Yes, the Bust Line (Bennett - Jankowski - Lazar) has looked good but at some point (0 points in 5GP) somebody needs to score a god damn goal.

Reactions: Kreator

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
One thing I hate is that Bennett is good for one bad penalty a game. Mark Jankowski has outplayed Bennett since being called up.

I really wish I could see the star player held back by coaching that other Flames fans are seeing. Flames fans have been spoiled by Monahan and Tkachuk playing like top 6 forwards right out of the draft, so maybe my expectations are just too high.

Still? I was saying that when he played in the OHL.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I look back to that ECQF series in the O in his +1 year. His team, the Fronts got swept and there was nothing he could do about it--neither him or Lawson Crouse. They played a tight checking team and walked in as the favourite and they just got decimated. That just spoke volumes to me for both of those guys. Both of them will end up as NHL regulars, but I really can't see either of them becoming game-breaking NHLers.

Man, oh man the arguments that summer.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Sam Bennett Point Watch continues. Had a dangerous shift late in the 2nd period. Tonight may be the night folks!

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Like Peter Parker or Clark Kent, he goes missing for large stretches of time. Last year he had streaks of 5, 6, 8 (twice) and 12 games without a point. Even in his rookie year he had a stretch of 7 pointless games, followed by a single assist, followed by another 9 pointless games.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
His line with Janko and Jagr (before tonight Lazar) have been incredibly snake bitten. They have been playing very dangerous the past two weeks but can't pot one. When one comes, a bunch will come.

And though he didn't get an assisst tonight, he was the reason why Tkachuk got it down low on the PP to set up the goal (would have been the 3rd assist if the NHL was ludicrous enough to add them). Won the puck battle on the boards against to Nucks to get it to Tkachuk. Points aren't coming, but he's playing great.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Wow. I was watching the Flames game the other day and boy was Sam Bennett invisible. I thought he was a healthy scratch at first but then I was shocked when I saw he had ice time.

What exactly happened to him? He was regarded as a great 2 way player as a prospect. Did Calgary ruin him?

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
When he was drafted I thought he was going to a Ryan Kesler type- had a similar frame at a similar age, both play with that really obnoxious but effect grit.

As a fan of a rival team, boy was I glad to be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad