Sam Bennett = Nail Yakupov?

Batrous

May 4, 2016
I'm not all that sure what the issue is with him.

I have to wonder ... would being sent down to the AHL be a better option / viable option?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I never ever saw the hype with him to be honest. Not even after his rookie playoff season.

Wanted Leon or Ekblad at the draft. Couldnt be happier with LD.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
He's been good defensively, but damn, overall he's sure been disappointing. Seems like he's been on the verge of breaking out for 2 years now but still hasn't done it. Lots of Flames fans are preaching patience and pointing out signs of improvement, some of it true and some of it homerism, but frankly I'm tired of him accomplishing nothing out there

I'm glad they finally moved him to the wing, and gave him better linemates. So there's no excuses now.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If his name was Boris and was from Siberia, he’d be labeled a bust and out of the league
he's a clear draft disappointment. 26 points in his last 94 games and he's like a 46% possession player. He's not really that good. However he's a serviceable NHL player and probably always will be so I wouldn't call him a bust

Reactions: Steven and SniperHF

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I'm not all that sure what the issue is with him.

I have to wonder ... would being sent down to the AHL be a better option / viable option?
30 teams would line up to pluck him off waivers, funny thing is he's not playing that bad overall but you can tell his confidence is shot offensively.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Does Sam Bennett really need two threads? But yes the guy is trending towards being a bust

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He looked like he was putting it together when he was 18. But at this point he may need to start thinking about becoming more of a two way bottom six player.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
It’s frustrating to watch. You want to give him the benefit of the doubt and have patience, but at some point he has to actually start producing. It’s not like he’s snake-bitten, he just isn’t generating much. Neither is anyone in the bottom-6, but when you draft someone 4th overall you expect them to be able to generate their own offense. Every once in awhile he pulls of a dangle that Datsyuk would be proud of, and some games he looks like one of the faster players on the team, but most of the time he gets the puck and he gets edged to the outside and that’s about it. You can see he has talent. The good part is that he’s not a completely useless player when he’s not scoring. It’s getting more and more difficult to defend him though, he’s been pretty invisible most of the season so far.

Lame Staley

Nov 3, 2017
Will Bennett end up being a Benoit Pouliot? Someone who is offensively talented but can rarely put it together

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The guy shows up for pre and post season. Hoping he still puts it together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad