Sam Bennett = Nail Yakupov?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
It’s funny cuz in my area last night cable/internet was out for a few hours due to a truck hitting the opictal wire, so I watched a dvr’d Sportscenter show from over a year ago and it features Sam Bennett’s 4 goal game LOL.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
18-year old Sam Bennett was pretty good.
19-year old Sam Bennett was pretty good.
20-year old Sam Bennett was okay.
21-year old Sam Bennett is a disaster.

I feel like we should just turn the page and move right along into 22-year-old Sam Bennett and see if that works better.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Seems like a bottom-6 player right now but he might get into a different system and break out. We'll have to wait and see if he's still a Flame in a couple years.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
These threads need to stop. If you are going to use an ellipsis to drive a point (which is not its intended use in the first place), at least put in the extra effort to type in one more period.

English rant over. Still a stupid thread (am I doing good?).

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The hype after the 2015 playoffs were so hilarious.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I always liked the guy pre-draft but then Flames got him.
But his hype after-draft grew way out of proportion. People saying he was the true #1 OV, everyone else was a bust, this guy would be a top 5 C in the NHL etc. I remember reading a lot of bizarre stuff about him after playing game 82 in 2015 and his playoff run

cc

Feb 28, 2002
They have time to wait for him to develop because even if his value gets any lower in a couple of years, Benning will still trade a 2nd for him.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Sam Bennett was the Flames’ best forward in the 2015 playoff series against the Canucks. He showed a ton of talent and grit that absolutely justified the hype and we likely wouldn’t have won the series without him.

His struggles offensively are definitely disappointing relative to expectations, but I still think he has the potential to be an effective bottom 6 player who can hit hard, play with energy and drive hard to the net to create havoc. Maybe he finds a way to pot a lot of ugly ones since he cleary doesn’t shy away from traffic.

But I don’t think he’s a bust yet and I certainly wouldn’t give up on him this early. In the course of history, there’s been tons of high picks who’ve started out the gate slow and yet have figured out a way to carve out a decent NHL career. I think Bennett can do that and aside from all the noise and draft expectations, if his NHL career spans 10-12 years, that’s a successful career to me.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
How urgent will Calgary be to trade him if he continue to not gain points and Calgary is not in a playoff spot? Didn't Calgary trade their first this year?

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
How urgent will Calgary be to trade him if he continue to not gain points and Calgary is not in a playoff spot? Didn't Calgary trade their first this year?

Gulutzan being fired, Bartkowski getting fired into the sun, pretty much anything else will happen before trading Bennett.

Not sure why people think the Flames will trade Bennett, what's the point in trading the 4th overall player from a couple years ago for no value? This narrative needs to die, he won't be traded.

This stupid thread also needs to die, it's just troll post after troll post from people who don't even watch either of these players play.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

His value would be so low right now that I can't see any way they deal him.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Gulutzan being fired, Bartkowski getting fired into the sun, pretty much anything else will happen before trading Bennett.

Not sure why people think the Flames will trade Bennett, what's the point in trading the 4th overall player from a couple years ago for no value? This narrative needs to die, he won't be traded.

This stupid thread also needs to die, it's just troll post after troll post from people who don't even watch either of these players play.

It makes no sense to trade Bennett for no value, but if the right deals comes along for a promising prospect in the AHL (i.e Kapanen) or a youngish roster player, I think Calgary should consider it. The top two lines for Calgary is pretty good and they could have a third line with Jankowski leading. If there's a chance to improve the team this year, I think Calgary should do it, especially considering they traded away their 1st round pick.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Not very.

He was a pick of Treliving so that usually buys a guy more time than when he was taken by another GM and his value is so low that you likely aren't getting anything worthwhile back so it is much more beneficial to keep him and hope this is the exception not the norm. It is still such a small sample size that there is no reason to think that this is norm anyways.

And yes Calgary did trade their 1st this year.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Kapenen is no more promising than Bennett so I can't see why they would want to do that. He also likely has at best as much, more likely less of an impact on the Flames making the play-offs that Bennett would.

But sure if a team wants to give the Flames something of actual value, ideally a RW with size and scoring sure they should listen.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Unless the wheels completely fall of, Calgary should be in contention for a playoff spot despite Bennett anyways so they won't be selling.

I could see him going in a package if they're buying though, which they probably will be.

Bennett busting really destroyed this teams chances of being a true, through and through contender though. Need someone from the farm to surprise or they'll be hoping for a Nashville-esque Cinderella run throughout their window.

Mangiapane has an outside shot of surprising maybe but it's still highly unlikely.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Not very.

He was a pick of Treliving so that usually buys a guy more time than when he was taken by another GM and his value is so low that you likely aren't getting anything worthwhile back so it is much more beneficial to keep him and hope this is the exception not the norm. It is still such a small sample size that there is no reason to think that this is norm anyways.

And yes Calgary did trade their 1st this year.

I wouldn't say it's a small sample size. Not only is 0 points this season a concern, but he regressed last year, dropping from 36 points to 26 points, while playing more games and picking up 38 minutes in penalties. A trade for no value doesn't make sense for Calgary, but if the right deal came, I think Calgary should definitely consider it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad