Confirmed with Link: Sam Bennett and 6th (2022) traded to Florida for 2nd (2022) and Emil Heineman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Hopefully the Flames pick their next Dube etc with that second.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There is no chance in hell he is a 2nd line center for them or even in the top 6.
I haven't posted in a while, but this is the truth, the Cats have a better version of Bennett as their #3C already, a guy who brings the same positives as Bennett, but plays better defensively and on the PK

there is only one response to this trade
3FRQyNA.gif

3FRQyNA.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
With this trade, Calgary now has 9 picks in the first three rounds of the next two drafts.
I would not be surprised to see us get more by the draft.

Good luck Sam. You were a bust here. I hope you can find a spot on the Panthers, and help them suck as hard as they possibly can in 2021-22 so that 2nd rounder is like a late first.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Good luck to Sam. At the start of his career, I thought he was going to be better than Draisaitl but it seemed more and more clear that he did not have the hockey IQ and hands to make a living as a top 6 guy.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Good luck to Sam. At the start of his career, I thought he was going to be better than Draisaitl but it seemed more and more clear that he did not have the hockey IQ and hands to make a living as a top 6 guy.

I won't miss watching him handle any puck like it's a live grenade. Nor will I miss constantly having hear about him being a 1C.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Good luck Bennett, it didn't work out but I'm happy with the return. Those oiler fans sure were right about us getting a late round pick at best for him.

A 2nd is not a late round pick and Florida till this division format has been a fringe playoff team. We got 2 2nds basically for Bennett. Better return than Buffalo got for Hall.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kg810

Sep 24, 2015
Is the 6th round pick confirmed? All the tweets and thread I've seen don't mention it.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Solid return and let’s not forget the other two benefits - Bennett possible Seattle pick we would lose for nothing and we can find a player for under a million cap hit to return same value Sam did. Add Heineman and 2022 2nd and there are four parts to this deal that all trend as a plus.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You'd think that but their current 2C (Wennberg) has 19 points in 42 games while shooting 19% and playing 18 minutes a game. If ever there was a place Bennett could play 2C Florida is it.

How is 12 point, -14 (worst on the Flames before the trade) a better 2nd line center option than a guy who has more points and can actually score?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
How is 12 point, -14 (worst on the Flames before the trade) a better 2nd line center option than a guy who has more points and can actually score?
It's not but it's not much worse. Bennett has 7 less points in 3 less games playing almost 5 minutes less a game though. I was just pointing out that Wennberg really sucks so I wouldn't be surprised if Bennett played on their 2nd line at some point.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
This is a good opportunity for Bennett. Quenville is one of the coaches that should be able to get the lost out of Bennett plus Florida’s middle 6 is a little shallow

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I will always love Bennett (like Whitney Houston). He’s an easy guy to like and I love the energy he plays with. But whether or not whose fault it was, Bennett was a bust in his time here. He was drafted to be a franchise player and he was never going to be that here.

I wish him the very best in life and his career, but for Sam’s sake this needed to happen. Flames probably really gonna regret this.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Solid return and let’s not forget the other two benefits - Bennett possible Seattle pick we would lose for nothing and we can find a player for under a million cap hit to return same value Sam did. Add Heineman and 2022 2nd and there are four parts to this deal that all trend as a plus.
Agreed except so far none of the 1M players signed by the Flames can provide the same value as the bad Bennett

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Fact of the matter is that even Bennett doesn't know his niche in the league very well, especially when the playoffs roll around and he starts looking like a 4th overall pick again. This organization deserves 100% of the blame for treating him like an afterthought and failing to develop him well.

I'd have a different tune if the red carpet was rolled out for him and he struggled with impunity like other players on this team but that never happened. Things seemed to be turning a corner with Sutter but he came too late into the story. Quenneville is more than a good enough coach, though. You could definitely find worse landing spots than that

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bennett will be better but there is no way he can look like a 4th overall pick

there is no scoring touch on that boy

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
The problem with Bennett is that the game he play when he is at his best (in the playoffs) simply can’t be sustained over a full season. I see him finding more success elsewhere for sure, but certainly not to the extent that he lives up to the hype some posters have stood behind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad