Salary Cap to Jump to $78M-$82M

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Crap...that’s terrible....ticket price increases.....I wish players would stop using escalator, they just pay more in escrow.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I love this as a Leaf fan the more money we have to spend the better

maple-leafs-winger-david-clarkson.jpg

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Prefer it goes up not that much this offseason where the Leafs have some room. We get Matthews, Nylander and Marner signed to deals before the cap jumps a lot. Potentially Tavares but probably not. And then it balloons after that giving us room to sign a 2019 UFA defenceman. If it goes up by 7 million this offseason your 10 millions become 11. Your 6 millions become 6.75, your 7 millions become 7.8. 2-3 of the extra 7 million will be used entirely on the big 3 getting more because it's a higher cap now

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
MTL is gonna have like 22M this offseason (after Plekanec' contract is off the books).

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
It doesnt really matter how high it goes. Teams will still get in trouble because the salaries will rise of course. Nothing changes. Its short term relief.

Reactions: BVG

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Great offseason to have a new Billionaire owner. Canes have $50 million in Cap spent for next year with basically only Hanifin, TVR and Elias Lindholm to re-sign.

Maybe the new owner throws a max contract at Tavares (if he gets to UFA)? So many possibilities. Canes fans are in for a treat.
You have no idea if he'll spend that though. The revenue coming in is very bad, One of the worst in the NHL. I'm not convinced they suddenly spend to the cap max.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Again...I hate to be bring bad news but the salary cap increase will just mean the first line players will get more money.

ALL NEW CONTRACTS WILL BE ASKING FOR MORE MONEY. And every team has contracts up at the end of the year and all those contracts will be asking for slightly more money which will eat the cap increase fairly quickly.

It's percentage based. So it really doesn't matter if we pay matthews 12 mil on a 72 mil cap or 14 mil off of an 82 mil cap.

And yes...all this will mean is ticket prices will increase. So yay?

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
It doesnt really matter how high it goes. Teams will still get in trouble because the salaries will rise of course. Nothing changes. Its short term relief.

Allot of people in this thread do not understand this concept. Everyteam has contracts they need to sign and if the expectation is that everyone is going to keep thier recapture costs the same with a higher cap, then you and both have bridges we could sell.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
You have no idea if he'll spend that though. The revenue coming in is very bad, One of the worst in the NHL. I'm not convinced they suddenly spend to the cap max.

You have a fundamental and basic misunderstanding of Revenue vs. Profit. Seems to be pretty common round these parts.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
This means that the Jets will be able to retain Wheeler in two years and Kaner becomes a free agent this off season and is smiling so wide he is getting lipstick on his ears.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This means that the Jets will be able to retain Wheeler in two years and Kaner becomes a free agent this off season and is smiling so wide he is getting lipstick on his ears.

Maybe he'll finally be able to afford that waterproof jumpsuit.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad