Salary Cap to Jump to $78M-$82M

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Great offseason to have a new Billionaire owner. Canes have $50 million in Cap spent for next year with basically only Hanifin, TVR and Elias Lindholm to re-sign.

Maybe the new owner throws a max contract at Tavares (if he gets to UFA)? So many possibilities. Canes fans are in for a treat.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
erik-karlsson.jpg

tavares.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x752.jpg

Vm0Cdd7.jpg

Last edited:

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Looks like those McDavid and Draisaitl contracts won't be killing the Oilers as soon as some thought.

Cap will continue to rise with Vegas being successful and Seattle joining the league in a couple years time. Oilers won't have a problem spending 90-100 million when it eventually gets that high in 5-8 years or so.
Except you forget one thing, exapansion has inflated revenues. If Vegas had not come into the league this season the cap would be going up very little.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
82 million would be tight.

My problem is it might save Chiarelli's ass and give him more room to do damage.

Reactions: Burned

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Players loathe using the escalator because of the escrow. I could see the players declining the use of the escalator this time around with the increased natural growth.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
So anywhere from a $3-7M cap raise... And the UFA pool is absolute garbage... And league scoring is seriously inflated this year.

There's gonna be a lot of bad contracts handed out July 1st. I'm glad Ken Holland has almost no cap space...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Looks like those McDavid and Draisaitl contracts won't be killing the Oilers as soon as some thought.

Cap will continue to rise with Vegas being successful and Seattle joining the league in a couple years time. Oilers won't have a problem spending 90-100 million when it eventually gets that high in 5-8 years or so.

Those contracts won't kill the Oilers, it's not the star players getting paid that kills teams it's the overpaid guys that make more money than they are worth that kills teams.

In the Oilers case that's Lucic, his contract and contracts like his is what will kill teams

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
That means Jonathan Ericsson's cap hit under an $80M cap is like $3.4M when he was originally signed. What a steal!

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
That means Jonathan Ericsson's cap hit under an $80M cap is like $3.4M when he was originally signed. What a steal!
Yea a steal for big rig.

If the cap goes up to max and Holland actually sells at the deadline like he should I am legit terrified what he'll do with that cap space.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yea a steal for big rig.

If the cap goes up to max and Holland actually sells at the deadline like he should I am legit terrified what he'll do with that cap space.

I expect him to sell Green, but I honestly don't see him doing much more. (Even though he should)

That'll leave us enough to re-sign Mantha/Larkin/AA. After that, I don't really see how we have much money to be a player, thankfully.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
so we know that cap will likely be 82 million and no less than 80, because for it to be 78 that would the players don't use the 5% bump that they have the riht to use.

They have never elected not to use at least a portion of it and in all but 1 year they have used all of it, the only time they didn't was last year.

I love this as a Leaf fan the more money we have to spend the better

Reactions: 21 Savage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad