Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I'll use this fresh thread to remind everyone that we just won a second straight Cup and promptly said goodbye to Kunitz, Fleury, and Steigerwald.

life is just insane sometimes, man.

i still can't believe it. back to back. wow

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So apparently it's being reported that Bergevin is leaving it up to Radulov and Markov who wants to come back. He can only afford one of them at what he's offered.

I'd love to have Markov here. Exactly the type of guy that can be Letang insurance from an offensive standpoint. He's looking for a two year deal. That's fine by me. His offense has actually gone up in recent years and he relies on his mind for the game more than anything so a crazy drop off isn't likely. And it wouldn't interfere with the contracts we have to deal with in 2-3 years.

I wont want him at 6M per, maybe 4 or 4.5M. But then we would have Letang, Schultz, Markov wanting PP minutes. Might then have to have Crosby and Malkin have their own PP units and Markov or Schultz would rotate between 1 and 2.

I think the only way this happens is if JR has a deal in place for a 3C involving Maatta. Then, he will probably turn his attention to Markov. But it is risky because he might never leave Mtl. Maybe he is just leveraging them.

As for the PP, I don't think it would be an issue. Markov would play on the second PP with Letang.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I wonder if we do keep Schultz on the 1st PP. Sullivan might just go Letang just because he's the #1 D

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We know they are gonna go after a 3C.

My question now is, can we have a viable post where we can look at all possible targets from each team? Not that all teams will have guys actually available for trade.

Maybe just add it to the OP that you posted Cole and label the section as "3C TARGETS."

One stop shop.

If you want to do the research - go ahead. It's not my job to do so. :)

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I think the only way this happens is if JR has a deal in place for a 3C involving Maatta. Then, he will probably turn his attention to Markov. But it is risky because he might never leave Mtl. Maybe he is just leveraging them.

As for the PP, I don't think it would be an issue. Markov would play on the second PP with Letang.

If JR has a deal like that for Maatta availible and Markov will sign at 5M x 2 years I make that move all day. Markov would really stabilize the d pairs after Dumo-Letang, give the team a vet that hasn't won yet to rally around, and presumably switch Maatta out for good youngish centre to fill in for Bonino.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

If Maatta were moved for a young stud 3C, I'd have no problem with Markov at 6 for 2 years. He's a legit top 3 D. Closest thing to Gonchar left in the league.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'll use this fresh thread to remind everyone that we just won a second straight Cup and promptly said goodbye to Kunitz, Fleury, and Steigerwald.

And our biggest problem is finding a way to get a 3C in the next 9 months. We have it very, very good.

Damn does that feel good to read. :yo: Name a team who wouldn't trade their situation for ours.

giphy.gif

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
If JR has a deal like that for Maatta availible and Markov will sign at 5M x 2 years I make that move all day. Markov would really stabilize the d pairs after Dumo-Letang, give the team a vet that hasn't won yet to rally around, and presumably switch Maatta out for good youngish centre to fill in for Bonino.

Why?

Here they are side-by-side.

B9CwADr.png

Maatta's slightly better at suppressing shots, scoring goals. Markov generates more assists and shots and did it with a lot more ice time.

Markov is older, more expensive and more likely to decline. Maatta is younger, under control, and more likely to improve now that he's healthy.

I think people keep looking at Maatta in a couple of high-profile situations and think he's worse than he really is. And they keep forgetting that he's 22.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Why?

Here they are side-by-side.

B9CwADr.png

Maatta's slightly better at suppressing shots, scoring goals. Markov generates more assists and shots and did it with a lot more ice time.

Markov is older, more expensive and more likely to decline. Maatta is younger, under control, and more likely to improve now that he's healthy.

I think people keep looking at Maatta in a couple of high-profile situations and think he's worse than he really is. And they keep forgetting that he's 22.

I'd be interested to see what the quality of competition and teammates does to impact that comparison. Either way Markov + good young centre beats Maatta + cap space.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I'd be interested to see what the quality of competition and teammates does to impact that comparison. Either way Markov + good young centre beats Maatta + cap space.

But you could probably get a good young center without giving up Maatta. Radek Faksa, for example, likely wouldn't cost Maatta. Hell, you could buy low on 26-year-old Cody Eakin, who has had one down year offensively that coincided with early injuries.

Also Markov is 38 and wants a 2-year deal worth $6 million per year, according to McKenzie. Pens just said goodbye to Daley, Bonino and Kunitz for wanting too much at their age.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It is true, if any team is playing with house money it is the Pens. Two cups in the bank, three to five years to add to the total.

But I am greedy, I want more.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Obviously Markov replacing Maatta would be a short term thing.

So then the Penguins have to go out and sign or trade for another Top 4 defenseman, all while guys like Guentzel, Rust, Hornqvist, etc. have their contracts expire and get raises.

Bad. Asset. Management.

Maatta is 22, under contract for the next five years, and is very likely to improve. Trading him for a 3rd line center and signing Markov is just bad. Bad. Bad. Bad.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don't think people are looking ahead enough.

Penguins have five forwards under contract for next seasons: Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hagelin, Guentzel. Sheary will be No. 6. Maybe Zach Aston-Reese if he cracks the lineup.

Sprong, Rust, Kuhnhackl and Wilson will all be RFAs, with Sprong and Rust likely to get solid deals if they play as expected this season.

Hornqvist, Reaves and Rowney will all be UFAs, with Hornqvist likely in the market for one last 4-5 year contract similar to his current cap tag.

And Ian Cole will be a UFA on defense.

Maatta brings cost certainty. You can't toss $6 million at Andrei Markov for 2 years in place of Maatta when you have so many expiring contracts coming up.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Not a long term plan, but if GMJR does drag his feet on a 3rd center, we will still have a good lineup.

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Wilson-Geno-Phil
Hagelin-Jake-Rust
Kuhn-Rowney-Reeves
Archie

Dumo-Tang.
Cole-Schultz
Maata-Hunwick
Pouliot-Ruhl

Murray
Niemi

Next Up