Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves looks like a damn tough line to play against. Ideally they should be playing no more than 10 a night anyway, so who cares if they dont score. Kuhn fits in there just as well. I was hoping he would take a few steps forward this past year as I saw him as about the same level as Rust their rookie year, but the two have trended in opposite directions.

Also, no way Sheary signs for under 3 unless its just for a year.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I like Wilson - Rowney - Reaves. Then slot Sid or Geno into Rowney's spot a couple times per game.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Will we even get 10 goals combined from that 4th line during the while season tho?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
With Ottawa picking up a depth center in Nate Thompson... I wonder who becomes available? Ottawa has some pretty decent depth centers options in Z.Smith, Thompson, Pageau and White.

For a team that's a little more budget conscious then most teams, I wonder if Smith would be available? Not sure what it would cost - likely futures.

Sheary @ 2.75m
Dumo @ 4.25m

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Rust - Smith - Hornqvist
Wilson - Rowney - Reaves
Kuhnhackl

Dumoulin - Letang
Cole - Schultz
Maatta - Hunwick
Ruhwedel/Pouliot

MM/AN

Cap: 75m
Spent: 74.195m
Cap Space: 805k

Very surprised that Smith has barely been brought up. Something to note is that he got a four year extension in january though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I seriously doubt Staal would be awful offensively with us. We won the Cup with awful Bonino offensive production. Staal would be an upgrade in every aspect, save for maybe shot-blocking. No big deal.

Anyway, if teams like Carolina want to one day leapfrog over us, they can't trade us their good players.

But if they are willing, we'll take them gladly.

and I would wager Staal would allow less shot attempts. He's just a much better hockey player than Bonino. Which is why he costs more and will likely be impossible for us to acquire. But in terms of his actual fit on the team as a player, Staal would be damn near perfect.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Will we even get 10 goals combined from that 4th line during the while season tho?

Yes, easily in my opinion.

Scott Wilson is easily a 5-10 goal scorer and 20-25 point player even without Matt Cullen. Reaves is probably a 5-10 goal scorer and 15-20 point player. I think Rowney is probably capable of 5-10 goals well, and 15-20 points.

I don't think that's a guarantee that they'll each get at least 5 goals each, but I think all three are plenty capable. If I had to guess, Wilson would be the most productive and be the closest to double digit goals, followed by Reaves then Rowney. I'll say all three combine for 20 goals.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Staal would be pretty staggering upgrade over Bonino in every single aspect of the game, I think. I'd love to have him back, but again, if we're spending big I'd go for Duchene first. I don't think Carolina has anywhere near the urgency to trade Staal that Colorado does with Duchene. That situation for Sakic is approaching critical mass.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yes, easily in my opinion.

Scott Wilson is easily a 5-10 goal scorer and 20-25 point player even without Matt Cullen. Reaves is probably a 5-10 goal scorer and 15-20 point player. I think Rowney is probably capable of 5-10 goals well, and 15-20 points.

I don't think that's a guarantee that they'll each get at least 5 goals each, but I think all three are plenty capable. If I had to guess, Wilson would be the most productive and be the closest to double digit goals, followed by Reaves then Rowney. I'll say all three combine for 20 goals.

I don't agree with this at all, not with that as the line combo. Reaves had a career high 13 points last year. Rowney looks like he'd be in a similar ballpark to me, if not a bit less. Wilson I agree with, but not if he's got no real talent to play with. If they were with Cullen, I'd agree with those totals for any of them. But not as a trio.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I'd be willing to trade for Staal if Sprong wasn't part of the deal.

I'm fine with trading Sheary, just not Sprong. I think Staal and Kessel would fit very well together.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Bjugstads value must be at an all time low. The question is if he can raise his level of play.

Bjugstad has played 4 full NHL seasons. In 3 of those he scored 15+ goals (and on pace for 17+ each season) and had 40+ or was on pace for 40+ points in each of those seasons.

The only season he didn't produce like that was last year when the entire org was a mess and they changed their GM (twice) and their coach.

If I'm looking at him and going to make a guess on what his next two seasons are like... I suspect that he's more likely to go back to a 15g/40pt center then not. It's just a question of whether FLA would move him. But if there was a way to get a deal done with them surrounding Maatta, Sheary and Bjugstad and Demers (say @4m), I'd be pretty interested. I'm just not sure why FLA is interested. They don't save much by moving Demers and Bjugstad for Maatta and Sheary. With mild retention, we're talking about maybe 1.5-2m tops.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't agree with this at all, not with that as the line combo. Reaves had a career high 13 points last year. Rowney looks like he'd be in a similar ballpark to me, if not a bit less. Wilson I agree with, but not if he's got no real talent to play with. If they were with Cullen, I'd agree with those totals for any of them. But not as a trio.

Yeah. Reaves, for example, has a career high of 7g and 13pts.

Our 4th line, as far as production goes, is going to be pretty awful. Unless we land a solid 4C, I don't see how any of our projected 4th liners do much of anything offensively.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Rowney's regular season + playoffs numbers would put him on about a 20 point pace over a full season.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Yeah, that fourth line isnt going to pot 20 next year, no creativity. Wilson could theoretically hit 10 goals a season on the fourth line, but needs a better center. Rowney is a run of the mill fourth line center with not much offense, wed need a Cullen/Letestu/JJ or someone like that.

But again, I dont care if they dont score that much. With the talent we have up front, run the top three lines almost evenly, play the fourth line 10 a game tops (with Crosby/Malkin double shifts here and there) and let them be the energy. Rowney is good defensively, Reaves seems to be, and wilson is not a liability in his own zone so I dont expect them to get wildly outscored either.

Its not Kuhn-Cullen-Rust whom Id throw out against any line in the league, but its a good fourth line that needs to be played like a fourth line unless we get that upgrade at 4C.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010

Reaves is coming from a very defensive-minded system.

I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but I think coming to a more offensive-minded system, Reaves could be slightly more productive. Nothing huge, just a couple more goals and points.

I liken it to Mike Rupp. He was in a similar situation, coming from a defensive-minded team to an offensive one, he saw a nice rise in production. I'm not saying it'll be as much as Rupp, it might not even happen at all. I'm just saying it's a possibility.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Rowney's regular season + playoffs numbers would put him on about a 20 point pace over a full season.

but not while playing with Reaves.

Reaves is coming from a very defensive-minded system.

I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but I think coming to a more offensive-minded system, Reaves could be slightly more productive. Nothing huge, just a couple more goals and points.

I liken it to Mike Rupp. He was in a similar situation, coming from a defensive-minded team to an offensive one, he saw a nice rise in production. I'm not saying it'll be as much as Rupp, it might not even happen at all. I'm just saying it's a possibility.

Here's hoping. I'd like to be wrong, because I love the other stuff Rowney and Reaves bring. I just don't love the idea of them together.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
With Ottawa picking up a depth center in Nate Thompson... I wonder who becomes available? Ottawa has some pretty decent depth centers options in Z.Smith, Thompson, Pageau and White.

For a team that's a little more budget conscious then most teams, I wonder if Smith would be available? Not sure what it would cost - likely futures.

Sheary @ 2.75m
Dumo @ 4.25m

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Rust - Smith - Hornqvist
Wilson - Rowney - Reaves
Kuhnhackl

Dumoulin - Letang
Cole - Schultz
Maatta - Hunwick
Ruhwedel/Pouliot

MM/AN

Cap: 75m
Spent: 74.195m
Cap Space: 805k

You have to remember Brassard is out for 1-2 months to start 2017-18, so I doubt Ottawa deals away any centers before his return (if ever).

I like Z. Smith a lot as a top-9 winger, but as a center I am not a big fan.

Wilson-Rowney-Reaves looks like a damn tough line to play against. Ideally they should be playing no more than 10 a night anyway, so who cares if they dont score. Kuhn fits in there just as well. I was hoping he would take a few steps forward this past year as I saw him as about the same level as Rust their rookie year, but the two have trended in opposite directions.

I'd have no problem giving Sheary just one year. Prove it deals are win-win. They prove it, you pay gladly and shed elsewhere. They don't prove it, you know what to do with said player.

As for Wilson-Rowney-Reaves, I am not a big fan. If we got a Staal for 3C, then sure. Who cares at that point.

But unless we get a really offensive 3C (think Galchenyuk, Spezza, Spooner et al), I think we are going to need more than what Rowney can provide.

Wilson-Cullen-Reaves would be awesome, but let's also remember the possibility that Kuhnhackl replaces Wilson on LW4 because of his ability to kill penalties. So that would hurt the fourth line even more.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Two years and he's a UFA, so if Rutherford gives him the short deal that management has said (at least to DK) that they're looking to give him, odds are it's a 1 year deal so he's still a RFA afterwards.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Matt Martin plays similarly to Reaves, produces about as much, but never hindered Clutterbuck & Cizikas from putting up points. In fact he was 1/3rd of the best 4th line in the league for a 2-3 year stretch. Martin would create turnovers that the other two would cash in on. I think Reaves can do something similar for that line.

I think our 4th line can easily score 20 goals, and that's excluding any production Wilson gets when moved into the top 9 when there's injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad