Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sure make that trade and then what? There goes most of the cap space. Not trying to be negative but if we get Sheahan, chances are that he's the guy. Gotta hope a WBS kid impresses down the stretch.

Again, we have 3.28m in cap space. Sheahan takes up ~2m of that. That would leave us ~1.3m (more if we do not carry 23 players). 1.3m at the TD, is plenty. We could basically get whomever we wanted at that point.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not to mention a late pick here and there gets you some retention on rentals, so that 1.2-1.3 is at least 2 players.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And those guys aren't even real 3Cs. Getting a real 3C at the trade deadline would be impressive enough - adding retention without wanting to start crying at the cost even more so.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/2018/center/ufa/ - looking here, I'm not seeing a bunch of guys you'd be interested in who are at likely trade deadline sellers, and the obvious one plays for Philly so maybe not there.

My guess is that if we try again to fix the 3C problem during the season, we're looking for another misfit for misfit trade, only this time sending salary out to make space.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would say this is true for pretty much depth at every position outside of centers. Boyle cost a 2nd, Desharnais a roster D.

I meant in addition to whatever a team gives up, a roster player or a higher pick, throw in another late pick or whatever for a rental and a team might retain, which I think has been happening more often as of late.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Again, we have 3.28m in cap space. Sheahan takes up ~2m of that. That would leave us ~1.3m (more if we do not carry 23 players). 1.3m at the TD, is plenty. We could basically get whomever we wanted at that point.

Maybe. We will be using some of that cap space for call ups for injury replacements. You are right though that we will have some extra space.

I just don't think it's likely that we get Sheahan and then get a better center than Sheahan at the deadline.

I'm just trying to be realistic with my expectations. Good centers aren't cheap and they aren't abundantly available. If JR and Sully are comfortable with Sheahan than he is likely their guy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Maybe. We will be using some of that cap space for call ups for injury replacements. You are right though that we will have some extra space.

I just don't think it's likely that we get Sheahan and then get a better center than Sheahan at the deadline.

I'm just trying to be realistic with my expectations. Good centers aren't cheap and they aren't abundantly available. If JR and Sully are comfortable with Sheahan than he is likely their guy.

I think the only realistic options are the pivots in Vegas, and I don't think anyone can make a convincing case any of them are a clear upgrade over Sheahan.

Last year at this time, there were people who thought Sheahan could be an elite third line pivot if he took the next step. I'm not sure if that is true, but he has a lot of tools.

I have little doubt he will do well in his own end and play responsible hockey. He has a sound defensive game. The only question is his production, but if he puts up 25 points, which is realistic, I'd be content with that.

Most third line pivots aren't going to dazzle you... I mean, the gold standard is probably Couturier right now, and he has never broken 40 points in his career. Most games I barely notice Couturier, and when I do, it's because I'm laughing at how offensively limited he is vs what Flyer fans had hoped for him coming out.

And to land Couturier a team would have to get their nose open... badly. That's just the premium nature of the position.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I believe JR will either trade for Sheahan or sign McClement just to sure up the C position atleast somewhat to start.

I just can't see him going into the season without atleast 1 bottom 6 vet center he and Sully can somewhat trust in defensive situations.

Sheahan's sort of an unknown atleast to Sully and JR but they might be willing to have that experiment than the Pouliot, take 3, one.

I don't see how the 3C search stops after such a move tho unless of course Sheahan blossoms here under Sully.

We'll see, but i will be very surprised if JR's bottom six C's are some mix of Rowney/McKegg/Bleuger/Johnson to start.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't think McClement has much of a chance of making the team. McKegg is just a better player.

But can McKegg win you that draw and keep top players off the scoreboard. Thats more the angle, i'm coming at it from. Typically GM's are gonna side with the guy with better FO numbers/experience in those situations.

Like i said, we'll see.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think McClement has much of a chance of making the team. McKegg is just a better player.

If they don't land a third line pivot via trade, I suspect McClement has a better shot as their fourth pivot than TB or Johnson, based solely on vet experience.

Keep in mind McKegg is basically a rookie still... and I can't see them having two green pivots manning their bottom lines... unfortunately.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
But can McKegg win you that draw and keep top players off the scoreboard. Thats more the angle, i'm coming at it from.

Can McClemont? Maybe the faceoff, but after that?

Without a trade, I figure it would be McKegg and Rowney for the short time until they make a trade. But I expect a trade either before the season or shortly into it.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If they don't land a third line pivot via trade, I suspect McClement has a better shot as their fourth pivot than TB or Johnson, based solely on vet experience.

Keep in mind McKegg is basically a rookie still... and I can't see them having two green pivots manning their bottom lines... unfortunately.

Exactly.
If no Sheahan, i see that happening and Rowney or McKegg centers the 3rd line.

Like i've been saying tho, maybe i'm totally off here but we'll see.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really don't see why you're pushing so hard for the Penguins to sign McClement. He has done nothing in camp to deserve a contract from what I've read. McKegg and Rowney are both clearly above him, as are Johnson and Blueger.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Exactly.
If no Sheahan, i see that happening and Rowney or McKegg centers the 3rd line.

Like i've been saying tho, maybe i'm totally off here but we'll see.

Sullivan isn't DB so maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe Rowney wins the fourth pivot spot, even though I'd say he's done the least to deserve it of all the candidates so far.

Maybe it's McKegg and Rowney then?

Unless he does something noteworthy in the last couple chances he will get this preseason, Rowney will only win that position based on what he did last season.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
And those guys aren't even real 3Cs. Getting a real 3C at the trade deadline would be impressive enough - adding retention without wanting to start crying at the cost even more so.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/2018/center/ufa/ - looking here, I'm not seeing a bunch of guys you'd be interested in who are at likely trade deadline sellers, and the obvious one plays for Philly so maybe not there.

My guess is that if we try again to fix the 3C problem during the season, we're looking for another misfit for misfit trade, only this time sending salary out to make space.

Depends on when in the season. If Sheahan can't be good, odds are we're probably stuck with him until pretty close till the TD. We can either try to load the top 6 and just use him defensively like we did with Bonino, or we can try to give him support and put more work on Crosby and gut it out. Personally I'm not all that worried about it. Even if he doesn't produce offensively, we have the horses to handle that.

I'm just trying to be realistic with my expectations. Good centers aren't cheap and they aren't abundantly available.
If JR and Sully are comfortable with Sheahan than he is likely their guy.

That I agree with. About all we will be able to do near Christmas/the TD is get a better #4C (assuming we do not need anything anywhere else). And hope that said C can help with the defensive role/duties. Or you go big close to the TD on someone like Spooner/Z.Smith/etc - who comes with his own warts, and who at that point would likely be fairly pricy to acquire.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think the only realistic options are the pivots in Vegas, and I don't think anyone can make a convincing case any of them are a clear upgrade over Sheahan.

Last year at this time, there were people who thought Sheahan could be an elite third line pivot if he took the next step. I'm not sure if that is true, but he has a lot of tools.

I have little doubt he will do well in his own end and play responsible hockey. He has a sound defensive game. The only question is his production, but if he puts up 25 points, which is realistic, I'd be content with that.

Most third line pivots aren't going to dazzle you... I mean, the gold standard is probably Couturier right now, and he has never broken 40 points in his career. Most games I barely notice Couturier, and when I do, it's because I'm laughing at how offensively limited he is vs what Flyer fans had hoped for him coming out.

And to land Couturier a team would have to get their nose open... badly. That's just the premium nature of the position.

Well, Couturier may be IDEALLY a third-line center but he is the Flyers' No. 2 center until further notice. Maybe Nolan Patrick passes him at some point, but by then Giroux may be surpassed as well. My point being, MOST ideal No. 3 centers in the NHL today are playing either on Line 1 or 2 for their teams. Coaches value defense and face-offs now more than playmaking, which SHOULD be the No. 1 asset of your top two centers (but that's just me).

As for Sheahan, caught a bit of Det-Bos last night. It seemed like Sheahan was being showcased...playing in Zetterberg's spot between Tatar and Nyquist.

But can McKegg win you that draw and keep top players off the scoreboard. Thats more the angle, i'm coming at it from. Typically GM's are gonna side with the guy with better FO numbers/experience in those situations.

Like i said, we'll see.

I don't think the Pens have won back-to-back Cups by making the typical move.

I think McClement ONLY makes sense for us if we trade for a one-way, offensive center a la Spooner or Galchenyuk. If we land someone like a Sheahan we will not need McClement at all.

It depends on how the rosters shakes out. If Rowney is going to play a regular role at center, we definitely don't need McClement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad