Salary Cap: Salary cap+roster building: To Malkin or not to Malkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Go...

Pittsburgh Penguins - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
2019 NHL Entry Draft - Wikipedia
2019 NHL Draft
NHL Draft big board: Latest rankings of top 31 prospects in 2019 class

OevF92f.png

blQD7pG.png

U6G1dpR.png

N7alaPG.png

zlK3n5w.png

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I said JR earned a short leash, but as we knew from the minute we got JR - he's a guy that can make or break a team very quickly. We knew that was the case. IMO there is no debate. JR is the one that needs to go. The unacceptable attempts at trying to add size is ridiculous. We lost an identity that won us 2 cups for no f***ing reason. Unacceptable contract given to a guy who was a healthy scratch. An unacceptable trade to get a fighter who plays 5 minutes a night. Unacceptable.

I'm fine if you want to go big, but go big. Get a coach who wants to play big. Make it clear. Don't half ass try to be both. So if there is anyone at the top of the list that should go in the Pens organization it starts with JR.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I wanna see AT&T Sports do some sort of Yinzer 30-for-30 on the Sully/Geno/Kessel love triangle at some point.

Like, who wanted to play with who? Did Phil want to play with Geno? Did Geno want to play with Phil? And did Sully want them to play together legitimately, or as a way of trolling/proving a point to whomever wanted to be together.

And what's the timeline of all this? I'm guessing at some point Geno realized that his best bet to be value-add at even-strength was not alongside #81 but maybe didn't have the heart to voice it to Sully.

It all started the season prior with Kessel lobbying to play with Malkin.

It became a mega pressing issue last season because Brassard sucked so bad and the lack of production and all the injuries on both lines 2 and 3 got Kessel and Malkin to lobby for it.

It was a shit storm of ultimate dysfunction that led to it all going down. Between Rust and Hornqvist getting hurt as well everyone’s hands were tied. The lack of depth with injuries really cemented all of this garbage and didn’t help either.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Does JR have an email we can flood with protests against his ridiculous comments? If not, for someone in Pittsburgh, can you stop at his favorite PF Changs and put up a big thumbs-down message from the fans? Much thanks....

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Thank you UM!

Btw - get the **** out of here if you want to trade G or Letang. :laugh:

My favorite post was @Andy99 saying Maatta for Blake Coleman. I'd mark the **** out. I love it.

You trade Letang you end up looking for a Letang right after. If you have a number 1 Dman you keep them, I mean wtf? It should be like so obvious, right? Malkin should stay without even blinking unless it is HIM saying he wants a change of scenery and that's BEFORE it's because of some issue, he has to want a change because he wants a change instead of due to frusteration from things that could have been solved. I think I need to get off these boards for the summer soon before my blood boils from all this specculation.

Reactions: Turin and ColePens

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I said JR earned a short leash, but as we knew from the minute we got JR - he's a guy that can make or break a team very quickly. We knew that was the case. IMO there is no debate. JR is the one that needs to go. The unacceptable attempts at trying to add size is ridiculous. We lost an identity that won us 2 cups for no ****ing reason. Unacceptable contract given to a guy who was a healthy scratch. An unacceptable trade to get a fighter who plays 5 minutes a night. Unacceptable.

I'm fine if you want to go big, but go big. Get a coach who wants to play big. Make it clear. Don't half ass try to be both. So if there is anyone at the top of the list that should go in the Pens organization it starts with JR.
I don’t disagree, but I still don’t think this is the root problem. Our top players just are not willing to play the way they need to consistently. That is what needs to be addressed.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I don’t disagree, but I still don’t think this is the root problem. Our top players just are not willing to play the way they need to consistently. That is what needs to be addressed.

The other side of the coin is when there are injuries, especially on defense, there are no adjustments that are made. He already employs a defensive strategy that’s too aggressive a fit for the likes of guys like Maatta and Johnson.

So when our guys who can play in that type of strategy get hurt, is the problem the players aren’t willing to play the way they need to or is the problem we don’t have the players to play that system well? A coach should recognize this and not be blinded by success otherwise we just end up wasting a lot of time trying to get to our game.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
The other side of the coin is when there are injuries, especially on defense, there are no adjustments that are made. He already employs a defensive strategy that’s too aggressive a fit for the likes of guys like Maatta and Johnson.

So when our guys who can play in that type of strategy get hurt, is the problem the players aren’t willing to play the way they need to or is the problem we don’t have the players to play that system well? A coach should recognize this and not be blinded by success otherwise we just end up wasting a lot of time trying to get to our game.
A coaching change could be the fix? Maybe it’s a major trade or two? Maybe it’s some tough conversations but no movement? Either way, shuffling the cards on the bottom pairing or bottom 6 is not going to change the trajectory of this team. It has to happen at the core.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
A coaching change could be the fix? Maybe it’s a major trade or two? Maybe it’s some tough conversations but no movement? Either way, shuffling the cards on the bottom pairing or bottom 6 is not going to change the trajectory of this team. It has to happen at the core.
Coaching change wont really do much if JR keeps mixing the type of team and it goes against how the headcoach runs the team. They both need to be on the same page.

Reactions: Peat

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Why though?

I mean I get trading a core player and resetting things for the near future.

But we don't "need" to do that. Spend our cap space more wisely than JR's shown recently and draft/develop. We have our 1st this year. That's a start. Get both of Maatta and JJ the f*** out of here, use Phil as trade bait to restock the cupboard and use the cap space in free agency where there's a few players who can keep us competitive while we retool.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Why though?

I mean I get trading a core player and resetting things for the near future.

But we don't "need" to do that. Spend our cap space more wisely than JR's shown recently and draft/develop. We have our 1st this year. That's a start. Get both of Maatta and JJ the **** out of here, use Phil as trade bait to restock the cupboard and use the cap space in free agency where there's a few players who can keep us competitive while we retool.
Why what? I gave like 4 options, lol!

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Coaching change wont really do much if JR keeps mixing the type of team and it goes against how the headcoach runs the team. They both need to be on the same page.
I honestly don’t think that is the core issue. I don’t think it is good, but we saw this team go on a couple of stretches where they couldn’t be beat (with that mix) That shows me it is a lack of effort and commitment.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I honestly don’t think that is the core issue. I don’t think it is good, but we saw this team go on a couple of stretches where they couldn’t be beat. That shows me it is a lack of effort and commitment.
We saw Murray be really good during those stretches. We saw Kessel and Malkin have terrible years playing in front of a guy who killed the xgoal differential of the team every time he touched the ice sans 2 weeks.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Trocheck would have to be included in any deal with Florida. The Panthers are a top-heavy team, though, and the pickings are slim after their top guys.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
We saw Murray be really good during those stretches. We saw Kessel and Malkin have terrible years playing in front of a guy who killed the xgoal differential of the team every time he touched the ice sans 2 weeks.
I watched them make terrible decisions with the puck and there was never accountability.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Why what? I gave like 4 options, lol!

You're saying shuffling depth isn't the answer. I'm saying it most certainly could. We're 2 years removed from back to back best in the game with this core. Since then the depth and identity have gone south.

GM, coach and core have to be on the same page moving forward. That's the most important thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad