Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: The Calm Before the Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm sure the majority here would hate it but I'd like to see Rust back on L4 and try to roll 4 lines again.

It makes sense to move him I know, but we’d lose even more speed...I wouldn’t be in a hurry to get rid of him unless as the season progresses it’s clear he’s superfluous between McCann and Kahun, but we have to see how the latter fits in first...ideally JJ gets traded and we don’t have to worry about it..

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I’d go with these forward lines if everything were to stay the same personnel wise going forward—

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
McCann-Malkin-Hornqvist
Aston-Reese-Bjugstad-Kessel
Simon-Blueger-Rust

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
So let's say the Penguins don't make any further moves and that somehow ends up with them being cap compliant. What is your lineup going into next year? Personally, I'd go with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Simon
Johnson

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz, with limiting Johnson's minutes to #6 levels
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Murray-DeSmith

Looks like we'd have a new coach by December.

But I don't think that would be at all like when they canned Therrien and Johnston. You can't "win now" with that defense. No chance. I don't even think they make the playoffs with that.

Probably unpopular opinion: Fix the D (A) or blow it up (B). Choose one or the other. Ideally, A, but if they can't/won't, might as well move to B. I know they had a poor blue line for the B2B, relatively speaking, but this is much worse. Crosby/Malkin/Kessel/Hornqvist continue down the "past prime" point of their careers so the supporting pieces need to be better.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I’d go with these forward lines if everything were to stay the same personnel wise going forward—

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
McCann-Malkin-Hornqvist
Aston-Reese-Bjugstad-Kessel
Simon-Blueger-Rust
I'm hoping for...

Guentzel Crosby McCann
Kahun Malkin Zuccerello
Blueger Bjugstad Kessel
Johnson xxx ZAR

Pens need to figure out that 4th line. They have to buzz and set the tone while playing 8 mins a game. Have to be all about tempo and pace like a pack of wild dogs.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He's also one of the few guys who has trade value and would deplete a significant chunk of salary if moved.

Love Rusty. Will be sad if he goes. Just makes a lot of sense.

No matter how much I dislike it or what JR says publicly, Kessel's probably still going to be the guy moved before next fall which will open things up. Talk about moving Rust is moot IMO.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I think the lines are going to be shuffled regularly.

I think you can bet on Kahun playing on all four lines, but I definitely think most of it will come on the LW. I think with Kessel and Hornqvist sticking around and the fact that the Penguins prefer Rust on RW, the lines are pretty much set. Guentzel, McCann and Kahun will probably make up the LWs. Aston-Reese and Simon will probably switch.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I'd rather not see Kessel or Hornqvist with Malkin. I'd go with :

Guentzel - Sid - Hornqvist
McCann - Geno - Bjugstad
Kahun - Blueger - Kessel
Johnson - Simon - Rust

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Schultz
Riikola - Gudbranson

Extras: ZAR and Johnson

Simon looked great at C in the WC so why not have him play there. Kahun can also play LW.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I'm sure the majority here would hate it but I'd like to see Rust back on L4 and try to roll 4 lines again.
Rust on the 4th line makes sense to me and I guess with PK time he can get 10 mins in. That contracts a killer.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Man I want Gusev on this team so badly. Kid is gonna be f***ing good. Real good, next season.

Him with Geno would be phenomenal af.

Reactions: Andy99

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I think next year we can expect Pettersson to take a step forward, and possibly show us whether or not hes a 2nd or 3rd pairing guy. I think a at best he could be a good number 3 but im not sure he reaches that.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Yeesh. Reminds me of Casey Pierro-Zabotel's wife

64895814_397476667776932_791164745796288512_n.png

Reactions: Riptide

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
From what I've heard about Zucker's wife...its her shtick. She known for goofing on her husband on social media. It's a joke...lighten up Francis.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Yohe seems to think that Subbans meager return indicated that Letang isnt worth much either. Also JR said the next two weeks will be the best time to change up the Penguins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad