Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Still July (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Whats is JJ's trajectory exactly?
Fact is, he was a minute eating D-Man(getting the toughest assignments nightly) for a PO team(the last 2 seasons) that personally had a down year all while having to deal with his parents bankrupting him. Also requested a trade.

Judging his trajectory on last season alone is foolish.

I expect a #4 dman with a big body who will use it. He'll get us 25-30 points, eat minutes and show up in the playoffs like he always has, other than when he was scratched because the team played a very good young player instead. The contract is fine.

And if he sucks in year 4 of his contract, his 3-3.5 mill contract will not be hard to move. The cap is going to go up like it always does.

One thing about Jack Johnson - dude is known for being in excellent condition. I don't expect him to just fall apart all of a sudden.

Well to be fair nobody really cares how good he is until the games get big.

Well, luckily he has 21 points in 23 playoff games! I don't expect that to continue, but I do expect him to continue playing up during big games like he has every other time.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I think that with Jack Johnson having a smaller role here will benefit him. While at the same time I feel that he could lighten Letang's workload, which should benefit Letang as well.

Ruhwedel is a solid 7 but the idea that JJ is taking minutes away from him is ridiculous. Ruhwedel is a 15 minute a night guy who can fill in ok, but playing him 15 means Letang needs to play 25. JJ can play closer to 20

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
All these comments and not one about Letang's ego. How is that going to cope being off PP1 and not playing the lion share of a game?

The coaching staff f***ed up last year saying his minutes would be limited then not following through. It is almost a similar situation to Phil's ironman streak, IT DOESN'T MATTER TO US HOW YOU FEEL! Team First!

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I liked the Schultz/Cole pairing and think a Schultz/JJ pairing would work well. Letang/Dumo 1st pair: Schultz/JJ 2nd pair: Oleksiak and Olli 3rd pair.

Reactions: Jacob

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Whoever originally brought it up, I do not hate the idea of this:

Maatta-Letang
Dumoulin-Johnson
Oleksiak-Schultz

Swap Maatta and Dumoulin as needed. As well as Johnson and Schultz.

Dont love Maata with Letang but those aint half bad.

If you want to go highest risk/reward IMO you could...

Oleksiak-Letang
Dumo-Johnson
Maata-Schultz

We know Maata and Schultz can work really well, Dumo and Johnson could be a good shut down type pair or could be a dumpster fire. Oleksiak could thrive in a simple role where he can focus on his own end and not be relied upon to worry about offense or it overexposes him and its a cascading avalanche of brain dead quicksand.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Looking at all of these defensive pairing is frustrating considering how expensive this blue line is. All of these lineups are just mehhh.

Reactions: KIRK

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
They will absolutely start the season with Dumo-Letang as the top pairing. If they or the defense as a whole struggle, maybe they will break them up, but any of these pairings that don't start with Dumo-Letang are not realistic to me.

The simplest solution is usually the best solution.

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
JMFJ-Oleksiak

Go from there.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The blueline just straight-up does not look very stable. But I choose to remain hopeful that Gonch and Sully's insight will trump all the indications that suggest we're in for a wild ride. We've overcome some dubious-looking defense groups before.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The blueline just straight-up does not look very stable. But I choose to remain hopeful that Gonch and Sully's insight will trump all the indications that suggest we're in for a wild ride. We've overcome some dubious-looking defense groups before.

If the Pens forwards decide to not play defense for much of the season, it’s gonna be a wild ride.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Never blow your money on a depreciating asset.

So you're saying I shouldn't have just gone and purchased a Mercedes SLK55 that I fly down to Vancouver to pick up today... Dammit!

Actually my advice is that as long as the bills are getting paid, and you have some money tucked away, you only live once - so you might as well actually go and live the life you have! Buy the fun car, take the expensive vacation(s).

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
If the Pens forwards decide to not play defense for much of the season, it’s gonna be a wild ride.

This is key for the pens.

With the style they play, the forwards need to commit to coming back hard. They give up WAY too many odd man rushes. I dont care who the dmen are .. if you give up 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's repeatedly, you will get burned.

Reactions: EightyOne

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

It'll be entertaining as hell either way.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jake just needs to continue his Claude Lemieux impression.

giphy.gif

He has to. This gif cannot die.

It'll be entertaining as hell either way.

Word.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t care how they play until February or March, as long as they are in PO striking distance....if the forwards want to dog it defensively, fine...

I just want health and Sprong playing and playing like a top 6 forward...is that too much to ask?

Reactions: Riptide

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don’t care how they play until February or March, as long as they are in PO striking distance....if the forwards want to dog it defensively, fine...

I just want health and Sprong playing and playing like a top 6 forward...is that too much to ask?

Yes.

Reactions: Andy99

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I really don’t want to see “how quickly can we fix the bad habits we’ve spent most of the season cultivating?” again. If the forwards can’t be assed to play defense in November it’s going to be a problem in March because it’s not going from 90% to a playoff style. It’s going from doing f*** all to a playoff style for a run and putting Murray and the D through more abuse for months.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal

Which limb/organ are you giving up and which child is for the sacrifice?

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad