Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Still July (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, but buying a UFA year and after that Johnson contract happened. It does make it more pressing for him to improve.

That 745k is while carrying 14F.

Yeah I imagine Hayes goes back down so it’d be 1.4 mil

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He produced more points with Crosby than any other player? Is the issue that Sheary put up 12 assists or the issue that our team was terrible for half the year at even strength?

Like I've said all along pixies, the issue is that Sheary was 10th in ES production despite being in an incredibly advantageous position. That's not the team being bad, that's Sheary being bad.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
From what i can tell, the Pens now have the most expensive D-core in hockey. We'll see how they actually perform, but on paper it looks kind of disappointing for that much money.

We make up for it by being the best value-for-money forwards in the league.

Uh, I hope.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I guess their response might be what else is out there for 2 mil without costing assets.

It is a low risk move is he’s not as good as they’d hoped and want to move him. I imagine it’d be easy given his size.

Does Oleksiak win a single game for this team as opposed to a random jobber making league minimum? That’s the kind of thing I’m talking about. 5.5 mil between Johnson and Olelsiak is a lot of money for two guys who probably aren’t giving that much value beyond Burkisms.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Or ZAR if he won’t be getting playing time. Either way, it’s a nice cushion and could be useful at the TDL.

Yup. That could be enough space at the deadline to get a quality rental (eg Skinner, Pacioretty etc) without moving anyone of the roster.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So I just saw Hellebuyck signed a long term deal for just over 6M per, is that what you think MM gets assuming he rebounds? or closer to 5M?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Does Oleksiak win a single game for this team as opposed to a random jobber making league minimum? That’s the kind of thing I’m talking about. 5.5 mil between Johnson and Olelsiak is a lot of money for two guys who probably aren’t giving that much value beyond Burkisms.

And yet those are both guys who can move up in the lineup, and who allow us a better chance at playing the style of game our coaches want to play.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I like this signing but our cap hit on defencemen is, what, 1st or 2nd highest in the NHL? If you’re spending that much on D, you better see results!

This is what happens when you have a drought of drafting and developing defensemen well. No one is on an ELC and no one is coming up to make any of them trade pieces. The thing is that it looks like Dumoulin and Maatta are on good deals while Letang will be if he’s right again. It could be much worse and it would be on the org.

The entire team is under the cap and 4 of these D have won cups. They’ve made it work.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

I like Johnson and think he’ll do well here so I’ll leave that aside.

Big O could become a high quality bottom pair guy so that contract is really good if that happens. If not a slight overpayment and easily moveable if they need to. Most players can’t win games for teams on their own and he’s better than some random on minimum wage in UFA.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
And yet those are both guys who can move up in the lineup, and who allow us a better chance at playing the style of game our coaches want to play.

Any more than most jobbers toiling away at league minimum? Doubt it. My whole premise is that I don’t think they do that. Johnson maybe despite being a dumpster fire last year, Oleksiak has proven nothing in his career to suggest he can move up and down an NHL roster.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, even strength and 5v5 are different. Are you surprised Sheary’s point totals suffered when you start using 4 on 4 and 3 on 3?

Actually I'd have thought he'd be better with the extra open space for his speed. But it doesn't seem so.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
So I just saw Hellebuyck signed a long term deal for just over 6M per, is that what you think MM gets assuming he rebounds? or closer to 5M?

I think this year will determine what figure it’s closer too but it’ll be at least 5 and form will probably dictate from there.

I imagine his numbers will be better though as we have a better roster to start the year and shouldn’t have the fatigue issues of last season (with the amount of hockey and a **** schedule )

Reactions: 66-30-33

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Actually I'd have thought he'd be better with the extra open space for his speed. But it doesn't seem so.

I would assume it is because he was likely going out with Sheahan or someone else while typical Jake and Rust would get paired with Crosby.

Point being we are judging him for his 5v5 play with Crosby. Where he was a top six forward on our team in terms of production.

Ahead of Hornqvist and Rust. Now, I think it is clear that Sheary was our worse top nine forward and Sprong is a good replacement for him. But saying Sheary should have been scratched is just unfounded and biased.

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce