Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Sheary, Hunwick and Rowney.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Ok.

But your losing depth in other positions.

You can't just add Brassard to the team without losing other players is my point.

Correct, but adding him is YUUGGGEE and generally speaking, the players you are losing are mediocre depth or Sheary, which is a loss, but far from a big deal.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ok.

You can't just add Brassard to the team without losing other players is my point.

Nobody is going to miss Sheary, who’s probably playing below replacement level. The “depth” he’s provided this year is pretty inconsequential, especially when measured against what Brassard could bring.

Reactions: Ryder71

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Ok.

KIRK showed an example yesterday of just moving Sheary to accommodate Brassard.

For another player making less than 2 mil, we could get them with 50% retention and moving out someone like Kuhnhackl or Rowney and it only being a pro rated difference of well under 100k.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Correct, but adding him is YUUGGGEE and generally speaking, the players you are losing are mediocre depth or Sheary, which is a loss, but far from a big deal.

How do you know somebody would take Hunwick?

Somebody actually has to want these players, you can't just pick which ones you want to leave if nobody wants them.

I also think it would be dumb to trade Sheary, when Sheary and Horny got hurt we all of a sudden ended up with Kuhn in the top 6 playing with Geno, i don't want that.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

Somebody actually has to want these players, you can't just pick which ones you want to leave if nobody wants them.

I also think it would be dumb to trade Sheary, when Sheary and Horny got hurt we all of a sudden ended up with Kuhn in the top 6 playing with Geno, i don't want that.
I am sure someone like Vancouver would take Hunwick and a low pick off our hands.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I mean, we don't know who wants what, so it's equally strange to say "Nobody wants _____". Rob Scuderi got traded. Sutter got traded. Plotnikov and Bennett got traded. Perron got traded. All players that we thought had absolutely no value.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if any of those players got moved, with or without sweeteners. The NHL trade market is unpredictable. :laugh:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
KIRK showed an example yesterday of just moving Sheary to accommodate Brassard.

For another player making less than 2 mil, we could get them with 50% retention and moving out someone like Kuhnhackl or Rowney and it only being a pro rated difference of well under 100k.

I'm not trying to be a jerk to you or Kirk

But Ottawa has been firing scouts and front office people to cut salary.

Do you really think a team like that is going to retain salary?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
How many teams are serious cup contenders who will be bidding on a player like Brassard? The jackets are on the cusp of not making it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Whether we get Brassard or not though, we do have the calibre of assets they’re looking for. I think we’d be remiss if we didn’t try to make it happen.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm not trying to be a jerk to you or Kirk

But Ottawa has been firing scouts and front office people to cut salary.

Do you really think a team like that is going to retain salary?

Fine, we'll trade them Hunwick and Cole for Karlsson and a 1st, and then move Rowney, Sheary, and to someone else to get cap space. We'll even thrown in a second. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
There is one thing WOWY won't tell you. For example this:
Guentzel - Crosby - Kessel: 33 TOI, 2 - 5 GF-GA, 75 ZSR
Guentzel - Malkin - Kessel: 89 TOI, 6 - 7 GF-GA, 79 ZSR
Guentzel - Sheahan - Kessel: 116 TOI, 5 - 6 GF-GA, 48 ZSR

That winger combo does not work with any center, not only Sheahan. And then there is rest of Sheahan WOWY with them:
w Guentzel: 42 TOI, 0 - 0 GF-GA, 27 ZSR (52.6 CF% though)
w Kessel: 38 TOI, 1 - 4 GF-GA, 31 ZSR

That 1 - 4 may look terrifying but I would reserve my judgement until I see how they perform while not having such a heavy defensive starts.

And yet some still say that moving Guentzel off that line to find another LW is "catering to Sheahan/3C". It's not... it's catering to Kessel, because the line doesn't f***ing work as it is - unless of course you're an allstar center and even then it's still not very good.

Fair points. The point though that seems to lost (no pun intended) on some people is that Kessel and Guentzel perform much, much better w/out Sheahan. On the other hand, Sheahan's production seems to be either scattered, or AT THE EXPENSE of Kessel/Guentzel/Skill Player. Sheahan can likely be just as effective on the 4th line as he is on the 3rd whereas Kessel and Guentzel have the potential to be MUCH more productive with a non-Sheahan 3C, as the numbers demonstrate.

No they don't - at least not when they're paired together. Guentzel AND Kessel as a PAIR of wingers is very bad together - and it doesn't really matter who the center is.

I don't think you understand what this numbers demonstrate. Guentzel AND Kessel together show that it doesn't really matter who their center is, they're not all that good together. Individually, it's another matter, but together with Crosby, Malkin and Sheahan they've been bad all the time. If anything simply due to the zone starts, Sheahan is probably the most productive of the 3 centers with those two wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad