Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Man, Oh, Man, Oh, Friend of Mine. All Good Things in All Good Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I forget about the WC teams - Tanner Pearson is a guy I think is a perfect match for this team.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I’d change up the D in the off season.​

Well... we don't have much in the way of D-prospects, so you gotta find ways outside of the organization.
Don't see that much to entice in UFA although signing John Carlson (thus killing the Caps) and dealing Letang somewhere for a package of good futures... that would appeal to me greatly.

Maatta and Schultz are the only guys I'm married to on our current D though - and then I'd add that on showings so far, there is no reason not to consider Oleksiak a keeper.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Well... we don't have much in the way of D-prospects, so you gotta find ways outside of the organization.
Don't see that much to entice in UFA although signing John Carlson (thus killing the Caps) and dealing Letang somewhere for a package of good futures... that would appeal to me greatly.

Maatta and Schultz are the only guys I'm married to on our current D though - and then I'd add that on showings so far, there is no reason not to consider Oleksiak a keeper.

Yeah it’s more swapping players. Our D is expensive and 3 out of our top 4 have a flaw that really sticks out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Isn't Letang with Olli's physical short comings basically Marc-Andre Bergeron?

Close . . .

tenor.gif

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Not to nitpick, but didnt Sean McGuire get dealt in the Archibald trade?
Missed that. Thanks. The W-B/S part isn't going to be entirely accurate because there are guys on the roster that I have no source for their cap hits. If you have a source to share other than CapFriendly or NHL Armchair GM that would be great.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Whitney was fine until his foot issue started to creep up, Pens noticed, dumped him asap. Whitney pre-foot injury was pretty decent. People just remember the bad with him.

Ric Jackman?

Jackman's another guy who had a good point shot.

Tough to come up with a guy like Letang who's slow. There might not be one. All the slow guys who can't score from range are either big or cerebral.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
Who cares that he's better at actual hockey than Cole he doesn't block shots he's not a warrior!!!!!!!

Hunwick > Cole and it's not even close.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I’d love to know what the offers for Letang were.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I’d change up the D in the off season.

Easier said then done - unless your FA shopping. And honestly, if Letang is playing anywhere near his potential, having the below group isn't the end of the world.

Dumoulin - Letang
Olek/Hun - Schultz
Maatta - Olek/Ruh
Hunwick/Ruhwedel

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Easier said then done - unless your FA shopping. And honestly, if Letang is playing anywhere near his potential, having the below group isn't the end of the world.

Dumoulin - Letang
Olek/Hun - Schultz
Maatta - Olek/Ruh
Hunwick/Ruhwedel

It’s not the end of the world but I’d say 3 out of our top 4 D have a huge flaw and it’s an expensive blue line. It might have to be a D for a F then a F for a D situation in the summer.

You’re right though Letang is exacerbating everything. He’s probably the one we look at moving though if we get a good enough offer.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We don't have to replace Letang with an all-star defenseman. We just have to go from a top-heavy blueline to a more blueline by committee. We'd need much better than Hunwick and Cole. It'll be an adjustment, but I don't think it would crush this team nearly as much as people want to think. Letang's a really bad option to be the cornerstone of your blueline between his cap hit, injury issues and inconsistent play. That being said, I'd be absolutely astonished if we couldn't get a huge return for the guy (great roster player, very good prospect, 1st rounder). Give me a less talented/top-end blueline but full of consistent, quality players over the high risk/high reward situation we have now where our blueline corps relies almost entirely on the performance/health of a guy as inconsistent and injury prone as Letang. And when I say injury prone, I don't mean like Beau Bennett. I mean injury prone due to constantly putting himself in horrendous positions to take these cheapshots and dangerous hits. If it hasn't changed after half a dozen concussions/neck injuries/etc. it's never gonna change. Let someone else worry about his health and performance while hoping he stabilizes his game and becomes the defenseman that we see once in a blue moon but people latch on to and sing the praises of, ignoring his crippling shortcomings.

This team needs to be fleshed out from top to bottom. We were successful because of depth in 2015-16 and we won entirely on the back of talent and timely performances in spite of our shortcomings in 2016-17. We need to fix the bottom six (3C, 4C), we need another scoring winger (youth, speed, goal-scorer), and we need to build a better blueline as a whole as opposed to building it with Letang as our linchpin using Dumo, Maatta, Schultz and Oleksiak as the start.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I'd like to for sure hang on to Olli Maatta, Justin Schultz, and Jamie Oleksiak. The rest, I don't know if I would be angry to see them moved for other players on D or whatever.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s not the end of the world but I’d say 3 out of our top 4 D have a huge flaw and it’s an expensive blue line. It might have to be a D for a F then a F for a D situation in the summer.

I hear this but at the same time, do we need the cap space they take up? And are we gonna have a better defence for that trade?

I'd like to trade Hunwick for another project as that's the only way we're getting decent value dmen anytime soon. Other than that I don't see good moves.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
From left field, maybe, but if LA Kings were to get caught in the quicksand they're presently in, how much would you guys offer for Jeff Carter?

A 3C option who'd fit contract wise with the remaining prime years of our stars, and will start to become so cheap in salary terms that it should be very little risk as he's ageing. Big, pretty good at everything, winner, faceoff ability (we're short a RH for key draws also) - can PK well, would make our 2nd unit PP a genuine threat. Manageable cap-hit with the suspected cap-rise next year....

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
While the thought of it is nice TR, Carter's less likely to move than a guy like ROR. I mean if he ever did become available, of course i and probably JR would be interested.
It'd probably cost a 1st+best prospect+a Jarry or Gus to compete with other teams.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
While the thought of it is nice TR, Carter's less likely to move than a guy like ROR. I mean if he ever did become available, of course i and probably JR would be interested.

I don't consider Ryan O'Reilly an option for us as he has a 7,5 million cap hit. Just like I was never interested in Matt Duchene who will command that or more going forward. 5.25 million is an entirely different kettle of fish, and I also think the asking price would be much lower for Carter given his age.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't consider Ryan O'Reilly an option for us as he has a 7,5 million cap hit. Just like I was never interested in Matt Duchene who will command that or more going forward. 5.25 million is an entirely different kettle of fish, and I also think the asking price would be much lower for Carter given his age.

Thing is there'd be a alot more teams throwing their hats in for Carter. He may not get the futures Duchene got but it'd be a substantial package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad