Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Insert Witty Thread Title Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If other options are so readily available then why are we still in this crappy situation? I think we could land a center easier once Duchene is dealt. Why is that so hard to understand?

Asked and answered... many many times. Go do some reading and get back to us. :shakehead

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Most of the teams looking at Duchene would be sending pieces back to Colorado. Odds are they're going to be pieces Colorado likes and will not be trading elsewhere. Which means other than Rutherford probably trying to get MD on the cheap, MD getting traded has little to do with us getting someone else to be our #3C. About the only exception to that is if those GMs with other guys who might potentially be available are waiting on MD to move to try and raise the price on their guys... but other than closer to the TD when you know guys will move, most do not operate that way. They'll make a move when they get the price they like.

Really? I don't know how you can say that unequivocally. Say the Pens offer a guy like Sheary for Duchene, they could still trade him to another team for a good center if they can't work out a deal with Col.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think we can all agree that we're tanking this season. Get on JR's level, fools.

The only question is which team in the NHL will actually be worse than the Pens, what with the Pens' huge, massive, insurmountable hole at 3C and all.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The only question is which team in the NHL will actually be worse than the Pens, what with the Pens' huge, massive, insurmountable hole at 3C and all.

You can criticize a team's off season and still think they are a very good team. I'm sorry I don't want this team to settle when it could be one of the best dynasties of all time. There a clear weaknesses and they continue to fail addressing them.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Maatta terrible and his contract is BAD, better trade him for a fourth before he has no value

Murray too, he's getting up in the age department

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
You can criticize a team's off season and still think they are a very good team. I'm sorry I don't want this team to settle when it could be one of the best dynasties of all time. There a clear weaknesses and they continue to fail addressing them.

Exactly what you want them to do is settle... you want them to address the situation right now regardless of whether it is the best option... i.e. settle. I know you think the playoffs start next week, but you are off by about 7 months. So "not settling" is finding the best option by April, not any option by September.

Over the last 2 Septembers there was no Murray, Hagelin, Daley, Sheary, Rust, Guentzel, Schultz, Wilson, Kuhnhackl heading into the season... yet all somehow ended up on the team and contributed significantly to winning a cup. Did the team massively mismanage those situations by letting those opportunities develop after September or should they have signed mediocre scrubs to fill spots early so they didn't have to "settle" for far better options later in the year? You want a dynasty? They are built in April-June, not September-October.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Exactly what you want them to do is settle... you want them to address the situation right now regardless of whether it is the best option... i.e. settle. I know you think the playoffs start next week, but you are off by about 7 months. So "not settling" is finding the best option by April, not any option by September.

Over the last 2 Septembers there was no Murray, Hagelin, Daley, Sheary, Rust, Guentzel, Schultz, Wilson, Kuhnhackl heading into the season... yet all somehow ended up on the team and contributed significantly to winning a cup. Did the team massively mismanage those situations by letting those opportunities develop after September or should they have signed mediocre scrubs to fill spots early so they didn't have to "settle" for far better options later in the year? You want a dynasty? They are built in April-June, not September-October.

I'm willing to concede on this point as I think we can address the center issue in season, but I'll say that two of those players are "essentially" cup run pieces and the rest and pieces you tinker with. Also, in terms of those pieces in Murray and Guentzel we had Fleury and Jake was in the system.

I don't care about addressing the center situation in season and I want to see how TB looks, but I honestly can't wait for the back pedaling if we have to trade a 1st and roster player for a 3C at the deadline.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm willing to concede on this point as I think we can address the center issue in season, but I'll say that two of those players are "essentially" cup run pieces and the rest and pieces you tinker with. Also, in terms of those pieces in Murray and Guentzel we had Fleury and Jake was in the system.

I don't care about addressing the center situation in season and I want to see how TB looks, but I honestly can't wait for the back pedaling if we have to trade a 1st and roster player for a 3C at the deadline.

Even if we do trade a 1st and a roster player, it all depends on the return. Moving those assets isn't inherently a bad thing.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh

Jake, Sheary, Rust, etc were all in the system, but the point is no one knew what they could be. At that point Jake was still in college and then just a taste of the minors at the end of 2016. Your point of seeing what we have in guys like Bleuger is exactly the point because none of those guys could have been imagined as relevant just 2 years ago and it would have ended up as a big mistake if they were blocked by some mediocre vet plugin and never got a chance to show it.

We have the luxury of letting these things develop and seeing what we have and what options open up. Why anyone wants to force it now and sees that as not settling makes no sense to me.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Jake, Sheary, Rust, etc were all in the system, but the point is no one knew what they could be. At that point Jake was still in college and then just a taste of the minors at the end of 2016. Your point of seeing what we have in guys like Bleuger is exactly the point because none of those guys could have been imagined as relevant just 2 years ago and it would have ended up as a big mistake if they were blocked by some mediocre vet plugin and never got a chance to show it.

But, that was a disaster of a roster in 15-16 so any improvement on it would've been improvement. We had no depth then, now we have depth in nearly every position but the pivot.

It is like using the argument that because Lovejoy won us a cup the Despres trade wasn't a bad move.

Waiting to address the center issue makes us more likely to run into an over payment. Especially if one of Crosby and Malkin goes down.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
But, that was a disaster of a roster in 15-16 so any improvement on it would've been improvement. We had no depth then, now we have depth in nearly every position but the pivot.

It is like using the argument that because Lovejoy won us a cup the Despres trade wasn't a bad move.

Waiting to address the center issue makes us more likely to run into an over payment. Especially if one of Crosby and Malkin goes down.

What if we had gone out and signed someone like a Hansen last year so Jake never got a look? I know Hansen wasn't available, but I just quickly pulled up an example of the type of player.

And what exactly do you see as the quick, value move right now that you consider a legit fix for the season and not an overpayment? And I'm not talking about anything with Bones, but what the team should be doing right now with the roster.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
What if we had gone out and signed someone like a Hansen last year so Jake never got a look?

And what exactly do you see as the quick, value move right now that you consider a legit fix for the season and not an overpayment? And I'm not talking about anything with Bones, but what the team should be doing right now with the roster.

Right now, I don't think there is any move we can make and that is why we haven't.

Teams have us bent over a barrel.

We had a top six of Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist and Kuni - Malkin - Rust with a third line of Hags - Bonino - Kessel going into the off season in 16-17. Why would we have signed a LW?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If it's for a rental, that's pretty much unavoidable I think. But the Morrow trade ended up pretty good for us considering how that 3rd panned out, I'd say.

I don't think any trade in the Shero era ended up that badly, but I'm consistently told that they were horrible and short sighted.

I understand the cost and window of being a contender like we have been since 08.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad