Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Does it even Maatta? The defense is still absolute Jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Re The Ottawa thing - yes they need cap, and won't need it again all that soon, but why not keep selling the cap space again and again in their shoes, instead of having Johnson occupy it for all four years?

Depends who we get. Does everyone think York really falls to 21? I know hes fallen a bit but a proven track record and was ranked anywhere from #9 to #16 from what I've seen. Dont know why some have him going to us at 21.

Would you trade Rust knowing it would land us York(and freeing up cap space)?

Or keep Rust and take whoever else falls to us ...likely being a good prospect as well.

I guess its all about how high one is on York. We haven't had great luck in drafting D but that was under Shero. York could be a game changer. Yeah hes only 18, but if hes what is expected....should be ready sooner than later and would be up during this window

I'd rather target the Andrew Shaw trade with Rust if we're looking for cap space alone. 2 2nds. Use one to move up if it makes sense at the time. He's worth more than the difference in picks alone.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Re The Ottawa thing - yes they need cap, and won't need it again all that soon, but why not keep selling the cap space again and again in their shoes, instead of having Johnson occupy it for all four years?

I'd rather target the Andrew Shaw trade with Rust if we're looking for cap space alone. 2 2nds. Use one to move up if it makes sense at the time. He's worth more than the difference in picks alone.

I'd bet Shero would pay 2 2nds for rust. Great fit for NJ.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Honestly I could live with JJ being on the roster as a scratch defenseman. It's a lot of dead money laying around and forces you to play some lesser experienced guys in higher roles than you'd maybe like but I think, looking at the depth chart, that I could at least live with it until they figure out what to do with him. The problem is I don't have enough faith in the coaching staff to keep his minutes down. Coaches simply defer to "vet experience" 9/10 times when making lineup choices. Especially entrenched coaches... it's seen as easier and safer. Even if the results are often shit-city.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Moving Scuderi required him to have no term left and taking back a more expensive player with term.

Translate the same principles to Johnson and you're basically taking back Lucic to get it done.

Now, sure, there's other ways to skin the cat... but unless we're lucky with another team's valuation of Johnson, none of them pleasant.

Tbh, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me that the plan will be to keep him with the hope that he plays better and the expectation that Riikola gets game time if he doesn't. I don't like it, but it's beginning to sound likely.

I should have said RH shot RWs. Bjugstad certainly didn't look comfy there last season, although here's hoping that's a blip.

Fair enough about not having any right shot RW... maybe instead of Tanev bring in Donskoi? That way you have Bjugstad and Donskoi as righty's? I do think Bjugstad would look comfortable playing RW if he was there full time and not moved back and forth between there and center

Reactions: Peat

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
If the cap is 81.7 mil we have 5 mil to sign at least 3 forwards (Blueger, ZAR, #13) and at least 1 D (Pettersson). While still trying to have a cushion for call ups if we have too many injuries.

It’s very toight

raw

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

I would agree he is worth more than that. Coming off an up and down season but when he was on...it was great. Def not someone Id be willing to move on from based on play alone. Just coming at it from this talk about the cap. And us having some younger players who could/should take that next step. Have a handful of those on the roster already(McCann, Blueger, Kahun, Simon, ZAR) ....would be nice if our system gets back to the point where everyone we brought up succeeded(Sullys first two years here).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Fair enough about not having any right shot RW... maybe instead of Tanev bring in Donskoi? That way you have Bjugstad and Donskoi as righty's? I do think Bjugstad would look comfortable playing RW if he was there full time and not moved back and forth between there and center

I would love Donskoi so much but again, I'm worrying about fitting it all in.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I would love Donskoi so much but again, I'm worrying about fitting it all in.

Yeah I am not sure what kind of money Donskoi is looking at. The lineup I posted originally left us with $1,075 million in cap space. So it would be tight depending on Donskoi's ask

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Good for Trouba - but when we all come back down from the clouds..the NHL isn't reality.

Shattenkirk wanted to be close to home, etc. He's now being shopped.

Suppose it's a good thing residency periods for prospective doctors aren't very long...and that medicine is a great career for a relationship partner of an NHL player as there are desperate needs for doctors all over the U.S.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Man, New Jersey has three 2nd rounders, three 3rd rounders and a lot of cap space... can't we trick them into taking one of our middle-salary guys? :D

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Flyers doing some work, this offseason. That seems like a lot for Braun, though. And Niskanen has certainly seen better days.

I guess they kind of have to shit or get off the pot with their current core of players, though. So they are probably looking at a "now or never" scenario, right now.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That seems like a lot of picks. Isn't Braun just a third pair guy?

He was their third most used dman at ES last season, so probably not, but still not that productive and had awful possession stats last year. Plus 3.8m x 1 (although I'm not sure whether the term is a blessing or curse here). RH though, which counts.

When I was talking up what Maatta could fetch in futures, it was deals like this I had in mind.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad