Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to October Part 2 (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Personally, I feel he wanted that to force his way out of Ottawa. I could see him going for a bit less for a winning situation. Why would he want to hurt that aspect?

The teams are mostly close to the cap.

Honestly I heard whispers of this on Twitter. It sounds like EK doesnt wanna sign an extension with anyone.

He does want traded.... but wherever he goes he wants to test out first before resigning in case he doesnt like the fit.

For real i think he just wants to be able to choose where he wants to go as a UFA. Which is fine.

But that may be throwing wrenches into what teams are willing to give up, compared to what OTT is asking for.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Honestly I heard whispers of this on Twitter. It sounds like EK doesnt wanna sign an extension with anyone.

He does want traded.... but wherever he goes he wants to test out first before resigning in case he doesnt like the fit.

For real i think he just wants to be able to choose where he wants to go as a UFA. Which is fine.

But that may be throwing wrenches into what teams are willing to give up, compared to what OTT is asking for.

Then he wont be traded.

Because that would be a stupidly huge ask for a rental.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I don’t want Karlsson.

We are well on our way to another very deep team which we were missing arguably the past two years and more than likely any trade that could realistically get Karlsson here would gut us.

Trading Guentzel would be awful IMO, even in a package for Karlsson.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
but at what point do they drop their ask for the sake of getting something instead of nothing like the Isles just did.

Considering the Sens don't have a 1st this year, unless Dorion gets an amazing package in return it might be in his best interest to hang onto Karlsson until the deadline just so the team doesn't earn Colorado a lotto pick. That's the sort of thing that loses a GM his job.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don’t want Karlsson.

We are well on our way to another very deep team which we were missing arguably the past two years and more than likely any trade that could realistically get Karlsson here would gut us.

Trading Guentzel would be awful IMO, even in a package for Karlsson.

Well, if that little tidbit is correct, not one team is going to giving up a Guentzel type prospect for a perceived rental. If anything, this moves any trade happening to the TDL.

They had a deep team two years ago, only last year did they fall short due to letting guys go after keeping them together for two years.

Karlsson is a generational player, as much as I like Guentzel, he's not even close to that tier, but luckily it shouldn't come to that extreme.

Karlsson could also be using that ploy so his team he gets traded to isn't gutted. He wants to win.

Why wouldn't you want to try, or want to get a generational player?

Reactions: Aerrol

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
People want to acquire Karlsson for the exact opposite reasons they wanted to trade Kessel for. Makes no sense.

I want to keep Kessel and get Karlsson added. You let the cards play out after/after this season.

It may look to be greedy, but we all know this ride will come to an abrupt end in the coming years. Let's do it in style.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

The rumors I see all say he won’t sign an extension with the current crop of serious suitors with the exception of Tampa, and that EK is pushing for Tampa only, but I guess Tampa’s deal with the Rags to take someone to clear cap space wasn’t good enough....that was the holdup, not the return to OTT...who knows

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The rumors I see all say he won’t sign an extension with the current crop of serious suitors with the exception of Tampa, and that EK is pushing for Tampa only, but I guess Tampa’s deal with the Rags to take someone to clear cap space wasn’t good enough....that was the holdup, not the return to OTT...who knows

Gee the Rangers didn’t want to take Callahan for peanuts? Who woulda thunk it?

Reactions: Andy99 and Pens x

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Considering the Sens don't have a 1st this year, unless Dorion gets an amazing package in return it might be in his best interest to hang onto Karlsson until the deadline just so the team doesn't earn Colorado a lotto pick. That's the sort of thing that loses a GM his job.
I'm all for that. Less time for the team to build around him this year is a good thing assuming we aren't the ones who are going to get him.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I'm all for that. Less time for the team to build around him this year is a good thing assuming we aren't the ones who are going to get him.

This yr would be the best time for TB to get EK.

Next offseason and onward they got alot of cap to pony up.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
EK can go to Tampa. They don’t scare me with or without EK. I find them to be paper tigers. Soft, perimeter play. They seemed to be let off the hook by the media but their playoff performance this year left a lot to be desired. The core of the team is super soft and I’m not just talking about physical play/hits.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I have a feeling that this will go on until late August.

EK is earning asshole status in my notebook.

It's not circled yet.

But the writing is appearing. Don't care for this "will he ask me to prom, or not" drama. Even IF he arrived here, it feels like it'll be a huge season-long distraction--media, fans, players will all be dumb.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
EK can go to Tampa. They don’t scare me with or without EK. I find them to be paper tigers. Soft, perimeter play. They seemed to be let off the hook by the media but their playoff performance this year left a lot to be desired. The core of the team is super soft and I’m not just talking about physical play/hits.
I wouldn't go that far but they do seem to have weirdly gotten a pass for blowing 3-2 leads in the ECF in 2 of the last 3 years. And missing the playoffs the year in between. Weird team.

Reactions: Trade

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Sometimes it only requires one element to make the whole sum work. Just how everything came together when the Pens added Kessel. The Pens were soft as well, but they made up for it with a large dose of depth being able to have the horses in front and back of said cart and the secondary pieces helped fill the voids.

Tampa adding a piece the likes of Karlsson makes a huge difference if that puck isn't on the other teams stick very much.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Pens are currently better than Toronto (whose defense is pretty bad) and Tampa Bay. With Karlsson, depending on the cost, Tampa Bay is better than the Pens.

As currently constructed though I like the Pens chances around as much as any team in the league. They are in that small handful of cup favorites, and far better than they were going into last season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sometimes it only requires one element to make the whole sum work. Just how everything came together when the Pens added Kessel. The Pens were soft as well, but they made up for it with a large dose of depth being able to have the horses in front and back of said cart and the secondary pieces helped fill the voids.

Tampa adding a piece the likes of Karlsson makes a huge difference if that puck isn't on the other teams stick very much.

Guessing Mayor is talking about the willingness to risk injury, to go to the dirty areas and be willing to do anything to win here. In that respect, 2016 Pens certainly weren't soft.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

They took the eventual Cup champs to 7 games without Karlsson. Any talk of that team not being able to get it done after adding the most dynamic defenseman in the league because they're "soft" is misguided, to say the least.

That's not to say they're unbeatable - any team is. But that would be as formidable a team as there is in the league.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Until the Yzerman era Lighting win a cup they will just remain the NHL’s perennial offseason and trade deadline “champs”.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They took the eventual Cup champs to 7 games without Karlsson. Any talk of that team not being able to get it done after adding the most dynamic defenseman in the league because they're "soft" is misguided, to say the least.

That's not to say they're unbeatable - any team is. But that would be as formidable a team as there is in the league.
it does depend what they give up for him in terms of roster players though.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
it does depend what they give up for him in terms of roster players though.

For sure. But it would take a lot more significant roster turnover for Tampa than is generally being discussed here for Karlsson not to be a huge net positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad