Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to Free Agency (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
how about Sprong for Fabbro from NSH? Swap of Prospects

As questionable as it sounds, I'd pass on that because the Penguins just drafted Addison. He's such a good RD prospect that I'd rather not trade Sprong for another RD prospect, I really think highly of Addison.

If you don't count Sprong, I'm honestly not sure if I'd rank him #1 or #2 in the Penguins prospect pool. I think he's super debatable with Bellerive.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Skinner might be the closest thing stylistically to Crosby’s skating style, just less power and acceleration obviously. It’d be fun to watch them play together.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
That's why I think he'd be required to get someone like Skinner. He's the only B prospect (guys like Kapanen and such) that the Penguins have. It's not that he doesn't have insane value, it's just that the Penguins don't have much in value outside of him.

And like I said, being good defensively for wingers doesn't count for anything. You don't win games by preventing goals.

Uh yah you do. And besides Rust is the better scorer.

-so Rust scores more

-does the little things very well

-PKs

not even close. Rust is literally better at everything when it matters.

Sheary has 2 goals in like 40 playoff games lol and ruins lines defensively. He is a net negative come playoffs.

Reactions: Trade

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Remember, Carolina really wanted Grubauer and was even offering a better deal, but Capitals didn't want to send him to the same division. I don't think JR has that fear with his moves.

I think in terms of other "future #1's available" Jarry has to be one of the best ones left that could be had.

Colorado is rocking a Varlamov/Grubauer tandem.
Carolina needs a better option than finding shitty guys like Lack, Darling, re-hashing Ward over and over. Then the horrible ones like Peters, etc that just never panned out.

I think Jarry would hold a very high value for them.That and Skinner is 100% walking after this next season if he stays there.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Skinner might be the closest thing stylistically to Crosby’s skating style, just less power and acceleration obviously. It’d be fun to watch them play together.
To play Skinner with Sid, you're taking Jake off of Sid's line.

Skinner is decent defensively, so at least that's a huge plus. But if you're adding Skinner, it's depth on the LW.

Guentzel, Crosby, Hornqvist
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel
Skinner, Brassard, Sprong
Aston-Reese, Sheahan, Rust

Good balance there. If we can pry TVR too...

Dumoulin, Letang
Maatta, Schultz - Maatta just needs to go, just too slow.
Oleksiak, Van Riemsdyk
*Ruhwedel

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Well, if we're talking a Skinner with a new contract, it's gotta be in the 1st or Jarry+Sprong+CapDump or dumps range.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

-so Rust scores more

-PKs

Sheary has 2 goals in like 40 playoff games lol and ruins lines defensively. He is a net negative come playoffs.

Outside of the playoffs...

Sheary is the better goal scorer.

23 and 18 in his last 2yrs.
Rust, while I love the guy, scored 15 and 13, but he brings a ton more to the table than just goals.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
That's why I think he'd be required to get someone like Skinner. He's the only B prospect (guys like Kapanen and such) that the Penguins have. It's not that he doesn't have insane value, it's just that the Penguins don't have much in value outside of him.

And like I said, being good defensively for wingers doesn't count for anything. You don't win games by preventing goals.

If we prevented 6 more goals in the Caps series we could have been playing in the Conference finals.

The puck is at both ends of the ice. Everyone has to play a role no matter your position. It all contributes to the result to varying degrees.

Reactions: Peat and Riptide

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Actually, come to think of it, you'd need a physical set of line mates for Skinner as the guy isn't exactly the strongest dude, he's weaker in the upper body department and those concussions in his history, he's played a fair amount of games, but that's actually quite surprising.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
As questionable as it sounds, I'd pass on that because the Penguins just drafted Addison. He's such a good RD prospect that I'd rather not trade Sprong for another RD prospect, I really think highly of Addison.

If you don't count Sprong, I'm honestly not sure if I'd rank him #1 or #2 in the Penguins prospect pool. I think he's super debatable with Bellerive.

Yah, but Fabbro is ready now. Addison is probably a few years away.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
My thoughts on the subject:

-You know what you're getting with Rust. He is dependable. Not going to blow your socks off but he's not completely devoid of skill, despite some serious tunnel vision. Great speed, has scored big goals in the playoffs. Very good defensively, never hurts you. He can easily play up and down the lineup so there's versatility there. His production has also been getting better each year.

-Hagelin is the best defensively of the three. I can't remember him ever making a dumb play that hurt the Pens. By far the best speed which is the team's identity. Relentless on the forecheck and back check. Puts up 30-40 points but he runs VERY cold when he does enter his cold streaks. Only 1 year left and the most expensive of the three (I don't see Rust getting $4 million, maybe $3.5 million).

-Sheary has the most pure skill, that's pretty evident. When he's on he can produce much better than the other two and it's not even close. He's a real disruptive player on the forecheck, never stops moving his feet. Made huge strides in his 2nd year, mainly improving his balance and strength, then he regressed hard last season, falling over non-stop once again. Even still, he managed to put up 18 goals while being moved all over the lineup, so the skill is there. If he can get back to where he was in his 2nd season, he's a huge asset for $3 million a year. Having said that, he's terrible defensively, completely lost in his own zone. Probably the worst defensively on the team. As disruptive as he can be on the forecheck, he never is on the back check/in his own zone. He's also terribly weak along the boards. He needs to have a good defensive winger (and center) on his line or they bleed shots against.

We know Hags and Rust wold have value around the league but would Sheary, or do other GMs think he's a product of Crosby?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If we prevented 6 more goals in the Caps series we could have been playing in the Conference finals.

The puck is at both ends of the ice. Everyone has to play a role no matter your position. It all contributes to the result to varying degrees.

The issue is that the Penguins didn't lose due to defensive wingers, though. Defensive wingers aren't going to sway the needle enough in terms of goals against to actually impact a series, just because of the position they play. Hagelin isn't going to be able to step in and stop the Letang gaffes.

And along with that, Murray didn't even have a bad series in the first place, it would be much easier to argue that offensive wingers would have won that series instead of defensive wingers.

-so Rust scores more

-PKs

The comparison in my eyes if Sheary vs Hagelin, not Sheary vs Rust. The defensive ability of those guys don't matter because you don't win in the playoffs with good defensive wingers.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The issue is that the Penguins didn't lose due to defensive wingers, though. Defensive wingers aren't going to sway the needle enough in terms of goals against to actually impact a series, just because of the position they play. Hagelin isn't going to be able to step in and stop the Letang gaffes.

And along with that, Murray didn't even have a bad series in the first place, it would be much easier to argue that offensive wingers would have won that series instead of defensive wingers.

The comparison in my eyes if Sheary vs Hagelin, not Sheary vs Rust. The defensive ability of those guys don't matter because you don't win in the playoffs with good defensive wingers.

just a totally baseless statement. I think you do win with good defensive structure. Especially in tight tough playoff games...you're telling me Hagelin wasn't key to winning in 2016?

, both outscored Sheary anyway, while being very good away from the puck.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I wouldn't throw Sheary away for just a draft pick (and cap space) unless they sign a player who greatly improves the team. Sheary still has a lot of value to the Pens.

As for Sprong, he of course (like almost every prospect on this site) is overrated in his own fans' mind. It's not hard to see why though. He has an NHL level shot, he can skate very well and isn't a midget either. It would be nice having a guy who can skate that well, shoot that well who is also 6'2". He also produces at every level.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
just a totally baseless statement. I think you do win with good defensive structure. Especially in tight tough playoff games...you're telling me Hagelin wasn't key to winning in 2016?

, both outscored Sheary anyway, while being very good away from the puck.

Hagelin was key to winning in 2016 because he was producing. He wasn't key to winning in 2017 because he was garbage in the playoffs.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Hagelin can actually backcheck effectively

Sheary can't as he's still getting back on his skates at the opposition goal line

But even if he didn't fall, sheary has maybe broken up three plays ever on a backcheck?

His offense doesn't best Hags enough to deal with the defensive issues.

and-thats-the-ljesgx.jpg

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Carolina is a very big analytical organization.

They would probably be one of the very few teams that would value Sheary over Rust because Sheary has better analytics.

Hags also has good analytics.

Reactions: KIRK

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You can quote stats all you want. Sheary has had a pretty ****ty go of it via the eye test the past few seasons especially last season.

I’d put Rust out there with the game on the line in any situation. I wouldn’t do the same for Sheary.

I’d be interested to see what Sheary’s stats are with and without Sid.

Higher p/60 in 16/17 and 17/18 regular seasons away from Sid. Dunno for sure about 16/17 play offs but Pens scored at a quicker rate with Sheary alone rather than just Sheary/Sid, so probably higher. Higher also 17/18 series, but didn't score enough points to justify existence.

Higher p/60 in 15/16 regular and post season with Sid.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hagelin was key to winning in 2016 because he was producing. He wasn't key to winning in 2017 because he was garbage in the playoffs.

he was key because of his speed and PK ability. I think Defensively responsible players come playoffs are much more valauble than a scoring wing who can't play D.

Hagelin sucked in 17 because of injuries but even then he wasn't hurting you like Sheary does when he isn't scoring.

Rust has the most EV goals since the back to back cup run. aside from guentzel...So I don't get your gripe about scoring....when he is literally scoring the 2nd most goals at EV strenght. while being very good away from the puck and a PK beast.

Reactions: Riptide

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
This Sheary = Rust argument is just weird. It is pretty clear that Rust brings more of what the Penguins are lacking (PK ability, defensive ability, physicality, doesn't disappear in the playoffs) than Sheary does. I also dont think cost is an issue, as I highly doubt Rust costs much more than 3, if he even gets 3 at all.

Reactions: Jacob

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

And you also don’t win by getting scored on all the time. I’m not sure where this “defense doesn’t matter from wingers” thing came from but it’s wrong.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
I feel like people overrate the hell out of Rust in the playoffs because he has gotten some goals in elimination games in the past, while underrated the hell out of Sheary because he's a whipping boy.

Based on your Sheary take, I’ll assume you just like arguing the contrarian position.

Anyone watching these games can see how much more valuable to the team Rust is, just a really bad take by you. I’m happy when Sheary takes a full shift without falling over. Sheary is so easily taken out of the game with even a modicum of physicality.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
"It hasn't been related to Rust, it's more in general."

This doesn't completely apply to Rust and Hagelin, because they have assets of their game that help offensively. Rust is an effective offensive player and Hagelin is a monster on the forecheck. I just don't see any added value in them being good defensively, I think it's mostly irrelevant because of their positions. Same thing with versatility, versatility doesn't help you win games. Scoring does. When you start getting rid of the things that don't matter for wingers, it suddenly becomes a lot more debatable for who to keep between Sheary and Rust (or Hagelin).

Of course versatility and defense on the wings help you win games. They don't overrule offense, but all other things being equal it's absolutely an advantage if a player can also provide tenacious, responsible play away from the puck and be effective on any line and on either side of center, particularly when injuries hit.

How this is even debatable?

Not to mention, even if it's a more general argument, Rust was better than Sheary at just about everything last year outside of regular season goals, where Sheary's advantage was marginal.

Yohe just came out with an article about JR looking to make a deal and Skinner being his main target. All throughout the article it was assumed Kessel will not be apart of any said deal.

Interesting. I really do like the idea of us adding Skinner (esp. if we can get him re-signed to a decent deal), I just don't think that "moving Kessel out and Skinner in" alone brings us anything but a net loss. There have to be some other pretty significant moving parts here for us to become a better team.

Waiting on that JR sleight of hand.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I have said this since the day Skinner broke into the NHL.

I'm also a huge Justin Faulk fan, but there is no where for him to go in this lineup unless JR is trading Letang or Schultz

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If Sheary’s defense didn’t matter Sullivan would actually put Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary together all the time, but since Sheary provides no value defensively and runs hot and cold he’s often replaced by Rust because Sullivan doesn’t trust him. Crosby dragged him and Horny kicking and screaming in 2016, and he obviously doesn’t work with Kessel or Malkin. In an ideal world he plays on the 4th line with another quality player and sometimes with Sid, but he put up a ton of points with Crosby in 2017 and made too much for a middle six player who can’t do anything in the playoffs away from the best player in the world.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Any thoughts on Tatar. I would love to find a way to fit Tatar in. IMO he would mesh well with Malkin and makes the team better 5 on 5. Malkin needs skill on his line while not taking away from the third line... Meaning Kessel.

The idea of letting Hags, Sheary and Rust go might need to happen but that's a ton of speed leaving. I'm actually not sure if Sullivan is a good enough coach to coach a team without speed. A better coach would have plays where the puck does the work... Not sure if we've seen that with Sullivan.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So we're assuming it'd be Sheary+Sprong for a Skinner with a a new contract?
How would everyone feel about that?

I think it’s a mistake to give up Sprong when Skinner is only signed for next year....we don’t know what Sprong is yet....Skinner may be the better scorer but he’s not a right shot and he won’t be cheap for the next few years, even if we sign him, as will Sprong

I also don’t think we need another wing who has no jam and plays bad defense...yes, he’s an upgrade on Sheary but he’s costing us more than that....if we could get him for Sheary and a second, or Simon, then fine...but I don’t really think he’s worth that cost for one year unless the plan is also to trade Phil, who’s a similar player, for some other 200-foot forwards...

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
So let's say everything else is = between Rust and Sheary production wise...Rust PKs, much stronger on the puck, better defensively and drives the net. Going forward, much rather have Rust.

EDIT: The only way I would consider letting Hags go is a replacement that is what he is, but younger. Period. You can't teach his speed.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sprong isn't that great of a prospect.

We treat him like he is because hes one of the very few prospects the Pens have.

I don't think he has anywhere near the value this board thinks he does.

We treat Sprong like he's a pretty great prospect because he has a rare ability to score a lot of goals. He's done it at every level.

You don't lead the entire CHL in goals-per-game at age 20 (regular season + playoffs) and then finish 2nd in the AHL in goals at 21 without being an impressive prospect.

Reactions: Badfish87

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And you also don’t win by getting scored on all the time. I’m not sure where this “defense doesn’t matter from wingers” thing came from but it’s wrong.

Why is it wrong? Just because you say so? You can win games when getting scored on a bunch. You can't win games when not scoring at all. You can outscore your defensive issues, you can't out-defend your offensive issues. No team in recent memory has won a cup with a bad offense, while plenty have won with a bad defense.

Wingers in general can't have that much of an impact defensively because of their position. So why does it matter if a wing is good defensively? Wingers don't have much responsibility defensively.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Re: Skinner

If acquired, who does he play with? What's his next contract going to look like? What all does Carolina need?

edit: why is my post in the middle of the page?

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I question anyone who is advocating Sheary over Rust and if they watched Sheary the past two seasons especially the playoffs. I can’t remember a player that falls on the ice as much as he does even when no one is around him. It’s unbelievable. In the 2016 playoffs against the Rangers he was an absolute possession monster and after he got injured he’s never been the same since. If you so much as fart on him he’ll fall on the ice. I would take Rust every day of the week over Sheary and his upside. The guy can’t stay on his skates anymore without falling on his face half the time.

Plus, when he’s not scoring he is literally useless and a detriment to the team. He doesn’t PK and he really should to make himself more valuable to the team. When he doesn’t play with Sid he’s garbage. So if you don’t plan on having Jake - Sid - Sheary you might as well trade his ass and be done with it because he does nothing to help the team in any aspect when he’s not riding Sid’s coattails.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Rust has scored more “big” goals than sheary in the playoffs. That’s why we say he’s a big game player. Not sure that’s fair to sheary but it’s true. Sheary scored in overtime against the sharks.

Rust iced the game on a breakaway in game six when Tampa bay was on the verge of coming back, scored both goals in game 7 and then opened the cup final with a goal in game 1 vs San Jose. He went through a short burst of goals.

Also, this idea that defense on the wings doesn’t matter is absurd. No your wings don’t have to be Marian Hossa but they need to have a clue in their own end. Good defense means not watching your team get dominated in possession because your wingers are out to lunch in their own zone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
he was key because of his speed and PK ability. I think Defensively responsible players come playoffs are much more valauble than a scoring wing who can't play D.

Hagelin sucked in 17 because of injuries but even then he wasn't hurting you like Sheary does when he isn't scoring.

And again, preventing goals doesn't help you win, scoring them does. You're looking at a position with low defensive responsibility in a spot that requires offense to win. There's no value in a defensive winger who can't score. They flat out don't help you win. I'd much rather take a scoring winger who can't defend over a defensive winger who can't score, it's not even remotely a question in my eyes.

If a winger isn't scoring, they're not helping the team. Being good defensively counts for less than being good offensively, because you can't win with just being good defensively. A team who is good offensively but bad defensively will 100% do better than a team who is bad offensively but good defensively. Look at the Kings last year, they were bad offensively but good defensively and got swept in the 1st round.

This also doesn't touch on the "best defense is a good offense" philosophy, which I really agree with. Want to know the best way to be good defensively? Always have the puck, because you're not going to be giving up goals if you have the puck in the offensive zone.

Rust has the most EV goals since the back to back cup run. aside from guentzel...So I don't get your gripe about scoring....when he is literally scoring the 2nd most goals at EV strenght. while being very good away from the puck and a PK beast.

And again, I've been repeating time and time again this isn't about Rust. Rust isn't applicable to this, it's about Hagelin more than anyone else. Rust can actually produce well, so the comparison for him doesn't work.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Hagelin can play on every line and make it better with his forechecking. He’s also a staple on the PK. Sheary can play on like 2 possible line combos and one of them is always broken up because of Sheary.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sheary has value and certainly he simply is one of wingers on the Pens who really don't offer needed size on the wing. I do trade him with that contract and really don't want Skinner. Sprong is a future RW scorer who needs to play. I anticipate Kessel gone after this year Hornqvist, Rust, Sprong plus what Kessel brings back or Pens use that cap space to sign someone. Jake, Reese, LW so Pens have to plan for the last 3 years of the Malkin Crosby era. Brassard, Hags at that age will go so who ever is the GM will have flexibility in 2019.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Our team wins when they outscore the other team. There are the rare defensive lockdowns during our cup wins, but this team wins by possessing the puck, moving the puck up the board, and being in the other team’s zone.

Skinner is that type of player and we potentially are losing Hagelin and Brassard. We have money to lock him up long term. He makes us a better team, even if he is unnecessary. If you can bring in that type of player you do it.

Plus, no way is he not hungry for a cup.

There’s outshooting a team and than there is a potential top six of

Skinner - Crosby - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Malkin - Kessel

That is absolutely ridiculous and we can run potentially run it for more than one year.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm not sold on Desmith either.

But Desmith and Jarry have kind of grown up together in the Pens organization and Desmith is always the one that's outplaying Jarry.

Well, two things about that. How much longer will DeSmith outplay Jarry when you take age into consideration? Jarry has been on a fast track in terms of goaltending development, so you would expect the more mature, more experienced DeSmith to perform better in the AHL.

Secondly, at the NHL level they have been fairly even imo. I just think if all things are equal, they prefer to have the younger Jarry play more games in the AHL and the more backup type in DeSmith sitting on the stool in the NHL.

Carolina is a very big analytical organization.

They would probably be one of the very few teams that would value Sheary over Rust because Sheary has better analytics.

Hags also has good analytics.

That was true of the old Carolina regime, but is it still the case? I think the 'Canes now are trying to become a far grittier team and are trying to change the culture over there under Waddell/Dudley/Brind'Amour. Sure, under Peters they were analytics darlings but he is now in Calgary and Carolina did NOTHING under Peters except underachieve.

Remember, Carolina really wanted Grubauer and was even offering a better deal, but Capitals didn't want to send him to the same division. I don't think JR has that fear with his moves.

I think in terms of other "future #1's available" Jarry has to be one of the best ones left that could be had.

Colorado is rocking a Varlamov/Grubauer tandem.
Carolina needs a better option than finding ****ty guys like Lack, Darling, re-hashing Ward over and over. Then the horrible ones like Peters, etc that just never panned out.

I think Jarry would hold a very high value for them.That and Skinner is 100% walking after this next season if he stays there.

I am not so sure. Grubauer is probably a lot more ready to be a No. 1, but even he landed in a spot where he can be a 1A with Varlamov. Carolina under the old regime, already tried to turn a backup into a starter (or even a 1A with Ward) but Darling failed miserably.

Secondly, the 'Canes have a goaltending prospect just as good as Jarry in Alex Nedeljkovic. He does not have as much NHL experience as Jarry, but Jarry did not have as much NHL experience as Grubauer either. I think if they can move Darling, Carolina will try to find a veteran to share the job with Nedeljkovic.

My thoughts on the subject:

-You know what you're getting with Rust. He is dependable. Not going to blow your socks off but he's not completely devoid of skill, despite some serious tunnel vision. Great speed, has scored big goals in the playoffs. Very good defensively, never hurts you. He can easily play up and down the lineup so there's versatility there. His production has also been getting better each year.

-Hagelin is the best defensively of the three. I can't remember him ever making a dumb play that hurt the Pens. By far the best speed which is the team's identity. Relentless on the forecheck and back check. Puts up 30-40 points but he runs VERY cold when he does enter his cold streaks. Only 1 year left and the most expensive of the three (I don't see Rust getting $4 million, maybe $3.5 million).

-Sheary has the most pure skill, that's pretty evident. When he's on he can produce much better than the other two and it's not even close. He's a real disruptive player on the forecheck, never stops moving his feet. Made huge strides in his 2nd year, mainly improving his balance and strength, then he regressed hard last season, falling over non-stop once again. Even still, he managed to put up 18 goals while being moved all over the lineup, so the skill is there. If he can get back to where he was in his 2nd season, he's a huge asset for $3 million a year. Having said that, he's terrible defensively, completely lost in his own zone. Probably the worst defensively on the team. As disruptive as he can be on the forecheck, he never is on the back check/in his own zone. He's also terribly weak along the boards. He needs to have a good defensive winger (and center) on his line or they bleed shots against.

We know Hags and Rust would have value around the league but would Sheary, or do other GMs think he's a product of Crosby?

Excellent post. I think the main point here is that none are untouchable and all three could (should) be offered around the league by JR if he is talking trades with others (and we have to assume that he is).

- with Rust, it is ALL about the contract. For Sheary money, he would be the one you would want most on this team. If he is looking for Hagelin money, I think he is a goner.

- most people on this board love Hagelin more than I do. I recognize his value, but while most here look at this player from what he can do in his own zone out, I still feel a forward's principle job in hockey is to create scoring chances (either for himself or his teammates) and Hagelin fails miserably in that element of the game. When you need a goal, I would trust Ryan Raves more, put it that way. But, he is a glue guy and complements just about any type of forward reasonably well and that has value. I just don't think he is worth re-signing for his current contract for multi years. He is very different but his worth is similar to Ruslan Fedotenko, whom we let go as well. But Fedotenko was a clutch scorer, something Hagelin can never be. Last point about Hagelin: if he goes, Rust has to stay.

- Sheary is definitely the most polarizing. Hell, I go from not being able to stand him to wondering if we can keep him pretty much during games when I watch him play. The value here is production vs. contract. The problem with Sheary is he probably has quite a bit less trade value than the other two. Even the older Hagelin and his expensive, expiring contract probably can fetch more via trade than Sheary can. So the question with him for me is always whether he is worth more to the Penguins than via trade because of this fact. It's different but it's a bit like the Kessel situation. Neither player can probably net in return what they can produce for you.

At the end of the day, in order to improve the team, I am open to trading any of the above three. We can add Simon (RFA), Kuhnhackl (RFA, not that he has any value at all), Brassard and Letang to the mix of players I would shop if I were JR, depending on what he is ultimately looking for.

Ideally, any trade would include Matt Hunwick's contract, and that is a strong consideration as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I question anyone who is advocating Sheary over Rust and if they watched Sheary the past two seasons especially the playoffs.

Gonna throw this out there again:

Rust: 16 goals and 21 points in 58 games
Sheary: 6 goals and 19 points in 57 games

I really don't get this idea that Sheary has "sucked" in the playoffs. Why do people act like he has sucked in the playoffs while Rust has been this clutch playoff performer? Their production is nearly equal.

This isn't me saying Sheary has been better than Rust, btw. I keep seeing people say that Sheary has sucked in the playoffs without any support for why. His production is virtually identical to Rust's production, who people simultaneously call a "big game player".

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

I really don't get this idea that Sheary has "sucked" in the playoffs. Why do people act like he has sucked in the playoffs while Rust has been this clutch playoff performer? Their production is nearly equal.

Rust has 10 more goals, doesn’t hurt the team defensively and Sheary goes awol when the games get tight. He repeatedly is demoted because he cannot be trusted by the coach.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I wouldn't throw Sheary away for just a draft pick (and cap space) unless they sign a player who greatly improves the team. Sheary still has a lot of value to the Pens.

Does he though? Barring any additions this summer, these are the forwards:

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Sprong
Rust - Brassard - Kessel
xxxxx - Sheahan - xxxxx

Extras: Sheary, ZAR, Simon, Kuhnhackl

Where does he fit and help the team? He shouldn't crack the top 9 over any of the players I put there.

As for the 4th line, ZAR looked very promising before his injuries, and Simon scored more in 8 games as a rookie last playoffs than Sheary did in 12, and both are dirt cheap compared to Sheary's 3 mil for a one-dimensional player whose one dimension wasn't very good in the regular season and downright brutal when it mattered most.

Re: Skinner

If acquired, who does he play with? What's his next contract going to look like? What all does Carolina need?

edit: why is my post in the middle of the page?

Skinner could look great on any top 9 LW, though obviously we'd want Jake with Sid to be the default.

Not sure what Carolina needs tbh. I'd like to offload Sheary in the deal and avoid adding Sprong. If we have to add a 1st, so be it...Sprong's more important.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rust has 10 more goals, doesn’t hurt the team defensively and Sheary goes awol when the games get tight. He repeatedly is demoted because he cannot be trusted by the coach.

A. Goals don't count for more than assists. Both result in 1 goal for your team.
B. Being better defensively doesn't result in 1 player sucking and one being a playoff warrior.
C. Based on their production, it's really baseless to say that Sheary goes any more AWOL in tight games than Rust does.

I feel like people overrate the hell out of Rust in the playoffs because he has gotten some goals in elimination games in the past, while underrated the hell out of Sheary because he's a whipping boy.

genomalkin71

May 30, 2014
Do all of these Skinner rumors have something behind them or is it just speculation? I haven't been able to catch up on anything because of work.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

This isn't me saying Sheary has been better than Rust, btw. I keep seeing people say that Sheary has sucked in the playoffs without any support for why. His production is virtually identical to Rust's production, who people simultaneously call a "big game player".

You can quote stats all you want. Sheary has had a pretty shitty go of it via the eye test the past few seasons especially last season.

I’d put Rust out there with the game on the line in any situation. I wouldn’t do the same for Sheary.

I’d be interested to see what Sheary’s stats are with and without Sid.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Our team wins when they outscore the other team. There are the rare defensive lockdowns during our cup wins, but this team wins by possessing the puck, moving the puck up the board, and being in the other team’s zone.

Skinner is that type of player and we potentially are losing Hagelin and Brassard. We have money to lock him up long term. He makes us a better team, even if he is unnecessary. If you can bring in that type of player you do it.

Plus, no way is he not hungry for a cup.

There’s outshooting a team and than there is a potential top six of

Skinner - Crosby - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Malkin - Kessel

That is absolutely ridiculous and we can run potentially run it for more than one year.

I'm not sure a Jake-G-Kessel line is designed to play to Geno's strengths. Unless he can go God mode for 100 games straight and manage not to get killed doing the lion's share of work hoing to the net, along the boards, and in the corners.

If you want Jake with Geno, then Rust needs to be the RW. Geno will need more 200 foot help, not the team's biggest 200 foot passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille