Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to Free Agency (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
She just walked in at the worst possible time! Hahah... great scene great movie.

NHLcom is sending subliminal imagery. I love the McDavid Crosby picture front and center with McD stick wedged in between Sid's arm and chest, blade deep.
Ohhh you nhl.

cut.jpg

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Big moves are sexy and exciting, but for us, currently not necessary IMO. We need a depth defensemen and a quality LW preferably with Speed and hopefully some grit. That should be good enough to start the season.

Reactions: Shaffer

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yah but Bones has a better track record. He basically had a 50 point season with Anaheim and a 40 point season with Vancouver the next year.

And i would use just overall points. Both got PP time and PKed. Bonino definitely is the better offensive player, he actually was decent on PP2, that's actually a plus for him that he was able to score on the second PP unit.

Sheahan got 23 minutes of PP time - Bones got over a 100 a season. Not a fair comparison. Sheahan had a higher p/60 on the PP (I think, just eyeballing it). Sheahan's 24 in 42 and 36 in 79 aren't that much worse than the two seasons cited either.

Career paces
Bonino - 0.34 ES, 1.71 p/60
Sheahan - 0.28 ES, 1.39 p/60

There's an advantage to Bones there, but its not huge and it's partially made up of outliers neither guy is repeating in a hurry. He's a bit better, but not hugely so.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
The thing I wonder...

Let’s say the Penguins get a Karlsson, who’s openly said he is going to get “what he’s worth” next contract.

Are the Penguins prepared to make someone else outside of Crosby and Malkin, the highest paid player on the team? Because Karlsson isn’t signing for some 8.7 million dollars a season.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Yah but Bones has a better track record. He basically had a 50 point season with Anaheim and a 40 point season with Vancouver the next year.

And i would use just overall points. Both got PP time and PKed. Bonino definitely is the better offensive player, he actually was decent on PP2, that's actually a plus for him that he was able to score on the second PP unit.
Bonino had 138 minutes of PP time. Sheahan had 23 minutes.

Of Bonino's 49 point season, 20 of those came on the Duck's PP. He's also 4+ years older than Sheahan giving him more time to build said track record. Sheahan's first two seasons in Detriot his rookie year he was on pace for 47 points and his Sophomore season he racked up 36 points. That's a measly 3 less than Bonino's 39 point season that you are citing.

I'm not seeing a difference that would clearly define Bones as a 3C and Sheahan as a 4C.

Reactions: Peat

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
NHLcom is sending subliminal imagery. I love the McDavid Crosby picture front and center with McD stick wedged in between Sid's arm and chest, blade deep.
Ohhh you nhl.

cut.jpg

Sid will be putting up points until he hangs them up... the second Mcdavid loses a step... look out.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The thing I wonder...

Let’s say the Penguins get a Karlsson, who’s openly said he is going to get “what he’s worth” next contract.

Are the Penguins prepared to make someone else outside of Crosby and Malkin, the highest paid player on the team? Because Karlsson isn’t signing for some 8.7 million dollars.

Did you know Geno makes more than Sid?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The thing I wonder...

Are the Penguins prepared to make someone else outside of Crosby and Malkin, the highest paid player on the team? Because Karlsson isn’t signing for some 8.7 million dollars a season.
Which is why such a move shouldn't even be considered. Too much in the way of upheaval.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I do. How would say they are different?

That's sort of the fun thing here. I know just by a few of your responses, it wouldn't be worth my time. :laugh: That's just a lack of hockey sense. I'm just trying to gauge if it is all a nice fun jest or not. Time will tell.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Sheahan got 23 minutes of PP time - Bones got over a 100 a season. Not a fair comparison. Sheahan had a higher p/60 on the PP (I think, just eyeballing it). Sheahan's 24 in 42 and 36 in 79 aren't that much worse than the two seasons cited either.

Career paces
Bonino - 0.34 ES, 1.71 p/60
Sheahan - 0.28 ES, 1.39 p/60

There's an advantage to Bones there, but its not huge and it's partially made up of outliers neither guy is repeating in a hurry. He's a bit better, but not hugely so.
You beat me to it. :laugh:

I wonder what Sheahan's p/60 is with out his outlier.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Big moves are sexy and exciting, but for us, currently not necessary IMO. We need a depth defensemen and a quality LW preferably with Speed and hopefully some grit. That should be good enough to start the season.

Totally agree that big/sexy moves are NOT needed. We are in a good spot. Sexy moves are fun to discuss but hot damn we don't need it.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
You’re right.

Still, PK makes 9 mil. I see Karlsson going for 10 and getting it.

Normally I wouldn't have a clue but the off-season has me staring at the cap space and salaries before D-day 01 July.

That is a lot of bread, 10 million. Great day in the morning.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You beat me to it. :laugh:

I wonder what Sheahan's p/60 is with out his outlier.

Man, if I'd realised you were looking up those stats as well I wouldn't have bothered.

The difference between Sheahan and Bonino is small, small enough that one being a 3C you can win cups with makes the other a 3C you can win cups with. There's no shortage of cup winning and cup finalist 3Cs in his mould.

Totally agree that big/sexy moves are NOT needed. We are in a good spot. Sexy moves are fun to discuss but hot damn we don't need it.

Give Rutherford a bell then, he's clearly looking at it.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
To play devils advocate, they could then re-coup a lot of those assets though if they were to trade Letang (say to Vegas, for example).

Having said that, I highly doubt the Pens get Karlsson. Or Panarin.

Just throwing random package out there. Not sayings that's what theyd want or wed give.

But if its Jake, 1st, Brass or Maatta.

Instead of needing a 2nd line LW and a 3/4 Dman like we do now.

We now need 2 top 6 LWs (1 being a high end young LW), and a high end 3/4 C or a 3/4 Dman.

I dont think Letangs return gets us back to only needing a 2nd line LW and a 3/4 Dman.

If that made any sense.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just throwing random package out there. Not sayings that's what theyd want or wed give.

But if its Jake, 1st, Brass or Maatta.

Instead of needing a 2nd line LW and a 3/4 Dman like we do now.

We now need 2 top 6 LWs (1 being a high end young LW), and a high end 3/4 C or a 3/4 Dman.

I dont think Letangs return gets us back to only needing a 2nd line LW and a 3/4 Dman.

If that made any sense.

I love Sid for his low (ish) cap hit. The guy made more money on endorsements and adverts than he did playing pro hockey. So to sink your own ship hemorrhaging spondulix just to keep him signed would never help in the long run.

If you want to capitalize on money fine, but odds are against your winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad