Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | And the riot squad, they're restless, they need somewhere to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pens have to make a trade to jump start this team and start winning a bunch of games together or we are going to to far out of the playoff race for it to matter.

Rangers with 44 points
Islanders with 44 points
--------------------------------------------------
Carolina with 41 points
Pens with 41 points

We next play Carolina and if we lose that game and both Rangers and Islanders beat Detroit/Jets then we are sitting 5 points out of a playoff spot and Carolina above us with Philly right behind us if they win tomorrow night.

So if there are going to be trades, now is the time to do it before we get too far behind the pack.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think you're underselling the odds a little, but I also have been wrong before . . . :laugh:

Well the good news is JR doesn't hold his cards that close to his vest. Not as close as Ray Ray. And that's mainly because JR can't stay up late enough to actually play cards.

Other good news: If we get to participate in the draft lottery JR will stand up and yell BINGO if the balls fall our way. And probably even if they don't. The man is a good bingo player.

Reactions: farscape1

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Me neither.

It's my understanding that JR fell asleep 8 minutes ago.

He’ll wake up during the night.

giphy.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Thinking on this a little more . . . it screams rival GM using Friedman to 'balk' at GMJR's ask. If I were to guess, a GM of a Canadian team. If it's a Tallon or a Bots or a McPhee, those guys don't work that way.

It's not like Letang's medical history is something new or, as you said, goes away over the summer.

Friedman has been on record consistently saying 30 thoughts are mostly his own takes if there are no quotes.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Friedman has been on record consistently saying 30 thoughts are mostly his own takes if there are no quotes.

Oh, I know, but part of the opinion may be formed by someone tied to some Canadian team balking at JR's ask.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m sorry if this was discussed, but should we read into the fact Letang didn’t play tonight? Is this just a coincidence with his name being mentioned in rumors?
It’ll be very intriguing to see what his return would be.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I’m sorry if this was discussed, but should we read into the fact Letang didn’t play tonight? Is this just a coincidence with his name being mentioned in rumors?

I think it worked out perfectly that he has a minor injury. Enough to keep him out of a game but not enough to stop a trade. Gives more time to explore and wait to see what’s offered.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

He is legitimately dinged up.

If it were the playoffs, it's my understanding that he'd play.

If JR is looking to move him, then this buys him time to make a deal without facing uncomfortable questions.
'
If JR is looking to make a deal but it unable to do so, this also offers him plausible deniability.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Honestly, it could be either. He really did take a shot off the ankle that had him limping a bit last game.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He is legitimately dinged up.

If it were the playoffs, it's my understanding that he'd play.

If JR is looking to move him, then this buys him time to make a deal without facing uncomfortable questions.
'
If JR is looking to make a deal but it unable to do so, this also offers him plausible deniability.

They have only one policy Mr. Mulder: deny everything.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Please say no to Montreal unless we are getting like Danault, Gallagher, Byron and Petry for Letang and Hagelin. We wont get that so pass on Montreal.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly, it could be either. He really did take a shot off the ankle that had him limping a bit last game.

It's why a day to day LBI, however legit, was, from a PR perspective, was awfully conveniently timed for JR.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It seems some news sites are confused too with the 12:01 am . Some are saying its Dec. 18 at 11:59 p.m. to Dec. 27 at 12:01 a.m.

Well that passed and no trades so are these sites wrong or right?

NHL’s holiday roster freeze tradition lets players breathe easy | Toronto Star
vs
NHL holiday roster freeze 2017: Everything you need to know | Hockey Insider | NHL News, Drafts, Picks, Schedules & NHL Betting Online
The 11:59 PM makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Reactions: farscape1

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If Pens traded Hagelin for cap space would you guys be ok with going for Grabner in the off season? just as fast, pretty good defensivly, can score goals, PKs.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Ugggh, I’m actually starting to believe that Letang will be dealt soon. I don’t blame Gramps, he’s decreasing his trade value every single game he plays like he has this year.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
If Pens traded Hagelin for cap space would you guys be ok with going for Grabner in the off season? just as fast, pretty good defensivly, can score goals, PKs.

I imagine he’ll get a decent contract. It’ll depend who’s still on the team. We need some muscle for Sprong, Jake, Sheary and Phil. We don’t know if we’ll still have Horny and he’s basically it on the “balance” side of things. Rust is ok (but a good defender) but that’s it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Here is where I am at. I am going to go down a list of everyone not named Crosby, Malkin, Murray, Guentzel, Kessel and give my personal opinion on trades.

- Letang: I want to keep. I do not want to trade. I want to work through these issues. Short of a wild deal (and those take months to work out) of like a Haula, Schmidt, _____... I want to keep Letang.

- Hunwick: Yes - please move.

- Dumo: I'm finally open to trading him. Playoff warrior, but not a must keep.

- Maatta: I'm open to trading him, but I put Hunwick/Dumo on the list higher to move first. I've said it before, let this kid develop here. My stance has always been to keep #3 and let him grow here. But if it's the deal we need, i'll be sad but understanding.

- Cole: I'd rather keep and try to re-sign while moving on from others instead. We just don't have what he brings. If it comes at the cost of Dumo (sad to see him go but you can't just trade all shit players) and Hunwick, oh well.

(Schultz: Leaving him off.. he's injured and I don't even think he's in play. Left Ruh off.. injured and no value. Keep him as a #7.)

- Sheary/Rust: I understand talent has to go to get talent back. I'm open to trading either.

- Sprong: I'd rather keep the ELC but they sure as hell don't seem to want to put this kid into the lineup so... whatever. I won't be happy but he's definitely available I guess.

- Hags: Goodness he's near rock bottom here. He is just a mess. Please give him a change of scenery and let him be the sexy hags we all loved in 2016.

- Hornqvist: Please don't.

- Sheahan: I don't care.

- Reaves/Kuhn/Rowney: Honestly.. i'd waive Kuhn/Rowney and is Reaves fits back in St Louis, so be it.

- Jarry: I just never feel goalies have value so I don't see him pulling us anything big. But sure.. if someone came knockin' and wanted him. So be it.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Ugggh, I’m actually starting to believe that Letang will be dealt soon. I don’t blame Gramps, he’s decreasing his trade value every single game he plays like he has this year.

Odds are it likely won’t happen but we want a good 3C which will cost us something decent and a LW with strength and as long as they can play D, skate alright that should not be too expensive. The don’t have to be a huge producer as long as they don’t kill plays.

Then small upgrades to 4th line/3rd pair.

Those things start happening and Sully keeps the lines consistent will go a long way with this team.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
If Maaatta or Dumo go in a trade we obviously need to get someone back. I’d be trying my best to get someone who is an elite skater even if their D is a little less.

Other teams have caught up to us in terms of skating and it’d really help the transition game too.

I’d rather keep Maatta though because he makes smart plays. He might not be able to skate out of trouble but his first pass is generally accurate and more importantly the right decision. I rather not have him with Schultz or Letang though. Maybe we spread the talent over the 3 pairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad