Salary cap next year

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

The Dion move looks better and better now. Some teams will need to shed a lot of salary since I am sure most expected a modest, but still a raise. This will make the pool of potential Stamkos suitors much thinner too. Lou got us in a perfect position for some cherry pickin'.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Wow if this is going to happen I might even agree. I really don't like that trade with #3. Ya he is overpaid but have to pay 5.5-6.5 to replace him so its only a savings of 1-2m in the long run not 7m.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Wow if this is going to happen I might even agree. I really don't like that trade with #3. Ya he is overpaid but have to pay 5.5-6.5 to replace him so its only a savings of 1-2m in the long run not 7m.

It wasn't just hit cap hit, it was the length. Dion in the last year of his contract is going to be overpaid a lot more than 1 or 2 million. If he had 2 years left instead of 5, the Leafs easily get a much better return.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I t also makes the 1.2 mil retention of Kessel dollars worse. But it's a good time to have that extra money on the books - Nylander won't need to be paid for another 4 years - Marner 5 years.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Should work better for us at this point, a lot of teams will be dumping some contracts

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
It wasn't just hit cap hit, it was the length. Dion in the last year of his contract is going to be overpaid a lot more than 1 or 2 million. If he had 2 years left instead of 5, the Leafs easily get a much better return.

Very true but we won't have Lupul around at that time either.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
We'll probably see Cowen and Greening bought out this off season, but the leafs still have a lot on the books in the short term, especially if they are going to get stamkos.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We'll probably see Cowen and Greening bought out this off season, but the leafs still have a lot on the books in the short term, especially if they are going to get stamkos.

If it drops by 4m AND they are trying for Stammer

my guess would be Cowen and Lups as the buy outs

greening would only have a 1.75m ish cap hit if in the ahl

iirc, a cowen lups buy out

would only be a combined 750k cap hit next year

that's some UNBALIVABLE relief

11 MILLION is those 3s cap hit next year and we would only have a 2.5m cap hit if they did those moves.

8.5m cap relief, BOOM Stammer cap hit for near free

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

The Dion move looks better and better now. Some teams will need to shed a lot of salary since I am sure most expected a modest, but still a raise. This will make the pool of potential Stamkos suitors much thinner too. Lou got us in a perfect position for some cherry pickin'.

It all depends on the 5% escalator

The math will probably show that a 4 million cap drop is

very possible , if the players to not use the escalator.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I can't see the cap going up, players are kind of getting killed on escrow right now.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That's more of a worst case scenario.

The players won't want it to drop that much, so they'll be using the escalator.

The cap will only be going up about 1M dollars.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A declining Cap favours the weaker draft rebuilding teams with cheaper contracts on the books.

Leafs "Clearing of the Slate" for the 2nd time dumping big long-term contracts in Phaneuf, Kessel and Clarkson looks like a stroke of genius positioning the Leafs in an ideal position to build a team now with limited contracts on the books in the course of the next few years.

Can you imagine those 3 players taking up over $20 mil of a declining cap by themselves, or the odds of dealing their contracts away?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
That's more of a worst case scenario.

The players won't want it to drop that much, so they'll be using the escalator.

The cap will only be going up about 1M dollars.

they've already voted to use the escalator haven't they? they're already at 18% i thought.

Finnish your Czech

Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

11 MILLION is those 3s cap hit next year and we would only have a 2.5m cap hit if they did those moves.

Greening's definitely a buyout candidate. He's not an NHL player at this point.

I'm not sure about Lupul though because he'd be on the cap for 4 additional seasons, and that's a pretty long commitment for me, as the leafs will be trying to make a serious push for the playoffs for the last couple seasons of the buyout.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
they've already voted to use the escalator haven't they? they're already at 18% i thought.

I don't believe so DJ

Escrow has gone from 14 ish % to what sounds like "closing in" on 20% and

iirc that happened during the time when the CAD dropped from mid/low 80s to mid/low 70s

there are some serious people out there projecting the CADs bottoming out at around 58/60

so are the players looking at a very possible 25/26% escrow, when all is said and done?

like ouch.:help:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

I'm not sure about Lupul though because he'd be on the cap for 4 additional seasons, and that's a pretty long commitment for me, as the leafs will be trying to make a serious push for the playoffs for the last couple seasons of the buyout.

I highly doubt greening is a candidate

You need to remember, teams are only allowed 3 buy outs running at the same time ,IIRC

We already have Gleasons running

and Cowens actually gives you 650K cap bonus

and if this cap site is accurate

Lupuls gives the biggest bang for the buck in year 1 , lups is almost 4 million in cap relief in the 1rst year.

Finnish your Czech

Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I highly doubt greening is a candidate

You need to remember, teams are only allowed 3 buy outs running at the same time ,IIRC

We already have Gleasons running

and Cowens actually gives you 650K cap bonus

and if this cap site is accurate

Lupuls gives the biggest bang for the buck in year 1 , lups is almost 4 million in cap relief in the 1rst year.

You can have as many buyouts as possible at one time. You're mixing up the rule where you can only retain on 3 different contracts at the same time.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

I have to disagree. Even if we sign Stamkos we have tons of room to play with, why not just pay the guy to be on the 4rth line for one more year rather than have him affect the cap for 2 years ?

If the Cap really dropped (which I doubt) it would make the Cowan buy out credit very valuable to a Chicago or L.A.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
no reason to buy anyone out with the amount of cap space we have. even with stamkos at 11 million there is no problem.

the only one i think they will discuss is lupul. babs seems like he cant find a spot for him. he doesnt like him in the top 6 and isnt really a 4th line type of guy. looks like the injuries took toll.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
no reason to buy anyone out with the amount of cap space we have. even with stamkos at 11 million there is no problem.

the only one i think they will discuss is lupul. babs seems like he cant find a spot for him. he doesnt like him in the top 6 and isnt really a 4th line type of guy. looks like the injuries took toll.

you really need to do better research mate.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010

This is the logical solution. Greening is definitely overpaid for what he brings to the table but I'll take him next year and then gone after that over Lupul being here for a few more after next year.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
They vote to use the escalator near the end of the season, when the actual salary cap for the next season is determined.

I don't believe so DJ

Escrow has gone from 14 ish % to what sounds like "closing in" on 20% and

iirc that happened during the time when the CAD dropped from mid/low 80s to mid/low 70s

there are some serious people out there projecting the CADs bottoming out at around 58/60

so are the players looking at a very possible 25/26% escrow, when all is said and done?

like ouch.:help:

oh thanks. I thought i heard on the radio that they agreed to 18%

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs are just fine in terms of cap moving forward.

They only have 1.2 million in the books long term after moving Dion, Kessel, Clarkson.

Lupul and Bozak are off the books in the next couple years too - which is almost 10 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad