Salary Cap: Salary Cap - next season 2022-23

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah it's easy to trash talk. Forum full of dudes that sit back and talk trash. ( Thats dumb, your dumb, this is dumb, My idea is the best.) Lol.

Is the trade that bad? Three picks, three roster players, and two prospects for a franchise type C?

HOW EVER YOU FEEL. Getting Barzal would be sweet. I wrote something up in less that 10-15 mins and spent more time with the coloring... sheesh give a novice a break you freaking professionals! Your own ideas are just so... VALID! Replace two left wingers with names you like then, like Fabbri/Suter and just totally remake a third/fourth line and we're better that right now anyways offensively.

Lotta faith in that rookie defense. I don't blame anyone that raises eye brows over those two kids playing top minutes and expecting them to thrive or be great.

- Didn't know about Kotkaniemi. That's a legit call out.

Last edited:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah it's easy to trash talk. Forum full of dudes that sit back and talk trash. ( Thats dumb, your dumb, this is dumb, My idea is the best.) Lol.

Is the trade that bad? Three picks, three roster players, and two prospects for a franchise type C?

HOW EVER YOU FEEL. Getting Barzal would be sweet. I wrote something up in less that 10-15 mins and spent more time with the coloring... sheesh give a novice a break you freaking professionals! Your own ideas are just so... VALID! Replace two left wingers with names you like then, like Fabbri/Suter and just totally remake a third/fourth line and we're better that right now anyways offensively.

Lotta faith in that rookie defense. I don't blame anyone that raises eye brows over those two kids playing top minutes and expecting them to thrive or be great.

Chill, man, chill. You're like a popsicle on an Arizona rooftop.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm seriously melting... ☃️☃️☃️

hahaha, just trying to chat with people about a Barzal move/offseason is all really. NBD if people hate that idea, especially my own.

Reactions: Bench and jaster

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'm seriously melting... ☃️☃️☃️

hahaha, just trying to chat with people about a Barzal move/offseason is all really. NBD if people hate that idea, especially my own.
Alllll good. It's fun to think about!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I estimated 23M of capspace for next season.

Was wrong, it seems to be 35 million.

This cap situation is gonna be just unreal.

Again, there's no real pressure for raises at all at next off-season. Fabbri already got the only significant raise.

Zadina, Stephens, Walman, Juolevi etc. will need new deals, but those will be moderate RFA-extensions. They are not setting the world on fire with their current production.

Söderblom, Berggren and Edvinsson should be the most probable propect adds. Those GIANT swedes will probably be ready from day 1, and Berggren has matured 1 year in AHL.

Zadina is RFA, and will be for another 4 years. Still, here was a possibility to take lower cap with shorter term. Zadina hasn't proved himself yet, so I go again "Yzerman-styled" a bot shorter term that many would predict. - 2 year extension only.
- This was estimated at evolwing-hockey to be 1.5M for 2 years. His production is not much better than Rasmussen's, think they should get equal deal. Rasmussen does other things better not count on points.

So that's it!

There's no other RFAs getting big raises. I would extend Mitchell Stephens, but doesn't get over 1M anyhow. He is good, still developing young depth, who doesn't really mean anything against cap. Jake Walman could be a bit higher than minimum at 1M ballpark. Don't know about Juolevi, maybe he will be 8th defenceman with NHL minimum.

1. Larkin 6.1M
2. Vrana 5.25M
3. Bertuzzi 4.75M
4. Fabbri 4.0M
5. Suter 3.25M
6. Sundqvist 2.75M
7. Erne 2.1M
8. Zadina 1.5M (estimate)
9. Rasmussen 1.46M
10. Raymond 925k ELC
11. Veleno 894k ELC
12. Söderblom/Berggren 850k ELC
---------------
13. Stephens 850k (estimate)
14. Smith 750k

Vrana - Larkin - Bertuzzi
Fabbri - Suter - Raymond
Zadina - Veleno - Sundqvist
Erne - Rasmussen - Söderblom/Berggren

(Smith, Stephens)

In Novermber I was extending Leddy, not anymore.

Yzerman should be able to fill the holes with some LhD to replace Staal and DeKeyser, but I'll leave that totally open. There's three spots open and Walman could take on. One spot will quite sure be filled with Simon Edvinsson. I just expect he comes in and will steal NHL spot like Seider and never looks back.

1. Seider 863k ELC + (chance for 850k bonuses)
2. Hronek 4.4M
3. XXX
4. Edvinsson 925k ELC
5. Walman 1.0M (estimate)
6. Lindström 850k
---------------
7. Oesterle 1.35M
8. Juolevi 750k

So we get:
XXX - Seider
Edvinsson - Hronek
Walman - Lindström
--------------

(Oesterle, Juolevi)

As for Goalies, there are other options, maybe we do the easy option and extend Greiss, short term again, only 2 years for 4.5M. He could walk whatever, but think we could find carbon copy contract to be brougth in on the same slot, that doesn't change the cap numbers anyway.

Most interesting names at free agent market are Darcy Kuemper and Ville Husso. Husso could give still younger options, and buy time for Cossa to be ready. Maybe trade for Georgiev could be one option.

1a. XXX
1b. Nedeljkovic 3.0M

So there is the roster, almost full completed.

This includes only 59.3M in caphits.

It still includes Richard Panik dead caphit + Andelkader/Nielsen buyouts = Total 4.18M of dead caphits for 2022-23. But after that season, there's only 1.055M of these left.

The total cap space:
- Salary cap 2022-23: 82.5M
- Red Wings caphits: 52.8M
--------------------------------
Total cap space: 29.7M

~5 million of that 34M current space will go to own ELCs + extension. Still need one Top4 defenceman and another goalie.

Cap Floor will be 61.0M. To reach that, we need to sign players with ~8M or at least take dead cap space.
Thanks for doing the math. Plenty of room to sign Malkin, Letang, and MAF, lol.

Current cap hits:
- Malkin $9.5M
- Letang $7.25M
- MAF $7M (actual salary is $6M)

You could sign all 3 at their current salary for 2 years, not qualify Juolevi and Stephens, then you'd still have enough room to re-sign Bert and DBoss if you let Suter and Erne walk after next season.

Seider would have to play his off side, unless we go after Gio ($6.75M) instead. 2 yr contract because Seider is gonna get paid.....

If Stevie doesn't want to commit long term, those are basically his only options anyways, 2 yr 35+ contracts.

briggzee1

Apr 30, 2018
I just spent 10 minutes on Cap Friendly checking out the Vegas cap horror show and to be honest I can't quit laughing. 19 million on injury reserve, 15 million in LTIR, only 2 UFA's at the end of the season. It's actually quite comical.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Hey, it's cool. Everybody gets wild sometime.

• Wow
Reactions: Snuggs

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
IF the Barzal rumors are gonna get wild lets fuel the flames and will/manifest this thing to happen!

Roster: 22 – 23 Red Wings hire Paul Maurice as HC.

- Red Wings trade their 1st rdp, 2nd rdp, 2nd rdp in 2023, F Tyler Bertuzzi, F Filip Zadina, RHD Filip Hronek, F Jonatan Berggren, LHDWilliam Wallinder.

- Islanders trade C Matthew Barzal.

Red Wings sign:
- C/LW Jesperi Kotkaniemi
- G Vitek Vanecek
- LHD Kursti Macdermid
- Resigned RHD Gustav Lindstrom
- RFA resigned C/RW Mitchell Stephens
- RFA resigned LHD Jake Walman.

Elmer Soderblom – (C) Dylan Larkin – Lucas Raymond
Jesperi Kotkaniemi – (A) Matthew Barzal – Jakub Vrana
Robbie Fabbri – Pius Suter – Oskar Sundqvist
Joe Veleno – Michael Rasmussen – Givani Smith

* Mitchell Stephens, C
* Adam Erne, LW/RW

Albert Johansson – (A) Moritz Seider
Simon EdvissonGustav Lindstrom
Kurtis Macdermid
– Jordan Oesterle

* Jake Walman, LHD

Alex Nedeljkovic
Vitek Vanecek
This is quite a bit more than Eichel got traded for

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I just spent 10 minutes on Cap Friendly checking out the Vegas cap horror show and to be honest I can't quit laughing. 19 million on injury reserve, 15 million in LTIR, only 2 UFA's at the end of the season. It's actually quite comical.

It gives me hope we can steal a defenseman from them in the offseason.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
IF the Barzal rumors are gonna get wild lets fuel the flames and will/manifest this thing to happen!

- Red Wings trade their 1st rdp, 2nd rdp, 2nd rdp in 2023, F Tyler Bertuzzi, F Filip Zadina, RHD Filip Hronek, F Jonatan Berggren, LHDWilliam Wallinder.

Red Wings sign:
- G Vitek Vanecek
- LHD Kursti Macdermid

* Mitchell Stephens, C
* Adam Erne, LW/RW

Kurtis Macdermid
– Jordan Oesterle

* Jake Walman, LHD

Alex Nedeljkovic
Vitek Vanecek

Man alive that is way too much for Barzal. 3 NHL players, a 1st, 2 2nds, and 2 good prospects. If we give that up, we better be getting someone better than Barzal and more than just him.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
Man alive that is way too much for Barzal. 3 NHL players, a 1st, 2 2nds, and 2 good prospects. If we give that up, we better be getting someone better than Barzal and more than just him.
Right? That was the most insane trade proposal I’ve ever seen. Not even sure I’d give that much up for Mcdavid. It’s like the guy just kept adding and adding to his trade.

• Haha

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It gives me hope we can steal a defenseman from them in the offseason.
Martinez is still having issues since getting his face sliced open, sounds like a possible vision issue. If it can't get resolved he'll probably have LITRetire.

They'll make the room by trading Dadonov as a cap dump.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
There are more quality forwards available this off-season that defenseman. I might try to sign a couple of these forwards and then package some guys together for a defenseman.

Gaudreau, Forsberg, Kadri, Burakovsky, Strome, Rakell. If we could sign a few of these guys we would improve our top 6/9 and then possibly turn around and package some of our forwards for a defenseman.

This is what I am imagining Yzerman is looking at. I think we are going to spend some money this off-season.
Problem is, they're wingers and we don't have a ton of winger spots.
We'll need winger spots for
1. Bert
2. Raymond
3. Vrana
4. Zadina
5. Fabbri
6. Soderblom/Berggren?
7. 4th liner
8. 4th liner

Seems unlikely teams will be giving up quality D for wingers - especially if D are scarce and wingers are plentiful in the offseason.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan

Red Wings sign:
- G Vitek Vanecek
- LHD Kursti Macdermid

* Mitchell Stephens, C
* Adam Erne, LW/RW

Kurtis Macdermid
– Jordan Oesterle

* Jake Walman, LHD

Alex Nedeljkovic
Vitek Vanecek
That’s an insane overpay thank god you’re not a GM.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Well fine then you little jerks, lol, you don't get a #2 center then! Best you get is Suter and another UFA for 3 million and 3-5 more years of losing hockey!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::naughty::naughty::naughty::cf::cf::cf::cf:

Everyone around here knows i'm sensitive.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Right? That was the most insane trade proposal I’ve ever seen. Not even sure I’d give that much up for Mcdavid. It’s like the guy just kept adding and adding to his trade.
Your insane. :fence: You'd give that up for McDavid and love it... Don't even lie to yourself.

Reactions: Lil Sebastian Cossa

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
What if...

Montreal offered Detroit Calgary’s 1st to take Petry? Would you do it?
Maybe... It's not like a bad idea, but...

I really want Red Wings to try to be good and make the playoffs though. Or they need to just sell Larkin/Bertuzzi/Hronek/Neds and sell out to the rebuild with Seider/Raymond. Larkin/Bertuzzi have a out 3-5 years of really good hockey left, they've both got back issues/surgeries already. Idk. I feel like Yzerman is on the pendulum of if... He builds around those guys or not.

What I don't wanna do is resign those guys, add no supplemental talent, have a weird injury or two and end up like the Coyotes/Sabers. I'm sort of sick of picks, I'm ready to win. The team seems ready to win if management is allowed to add and spend money.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Will be really a task for Yzerman to reach the cap floor.

When I started this thread on last November, I didn't reach the cap floor even though I did sign Leddy for 5M extension, Greiss for 3.6M extension, and Zadina with too high by 1M.

Think it's time to start money real hard to make this team better.

5M for forward (Palat ?)
7M for defenceman (Klingberg ?)
5M for goalie (Campbell ?)

That would put us to ~66M, with STILL 16 million in cap space.

You can go after Forsberg, Kadri, Trocheck etc.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
What if...

Montreal offered Detroit Calgary’s 1st to take Petry? Would you do it?
Absolutely.

When I started this thread on last November, I didn't reach the cap floor even though I did sign Leddy for 5M extension, Greiss for 3.6M extension, and Zadina with too high by 1M.

5M for forward (Palat ?)

Maybe they'll take a cap dump like Lucic.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

5M for forward (Palat ?)

I would go after Burakvosvky, Forsberg, Trocheck, Copp/Strome, Rakell (legitimate top 6 guys under 30)

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Raymond
XXX-XXXX-Vrana

We could add 2 legitimate top 6 players in free agency. Then we could slot guys like Fabbri/Suter/Zadina that are in all honesty 3rd line players, on the appropriate line.

Or it could give us the flexibility to offer Bertuzzi + in a trade. Or if Berggren/Soderblom look great in camp maybe we trade one of those guys on the 3rd line. Would rather move from a position of strength than continue to slot guys a line above where they should be.

I would pursue Klingberg, but I am not getting my hopes up on that one.

Reactions: Slim

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Maybe... It's not like a bad idea, but...

I really want Red Wings to try to be good and make the playoffs though. Or they need to just sell Larkin/Bertuzzi/Hronek/Neds and sell out to the rebuild with Seider/Raymond. Larkin/Bertuzzi have a out 3-5 years of really good hockey left, they've both got back issues/surgeries already. Idk. I feel like Yzerman is on the pendulum of if... He builds around those guys or not.

What I don't wanna do is resign those guys, add no supplemental talent, have a weird injury or two and end up like the Coyotes/Sabers. I'm sort of sick of picks, I'm ready to win. The team seems ready to win if management is allowed to add and spend money.

I understand your feeling of wanting to use assets to get good players. I do. But this package isn't it, and it's not because of the picks. Half of the package is useless fluff to NYI. The other half (2nds, Bertuzzi) is weaker in value due to lack of upside or Bertuzzi being in a contract year wanting a big raise while still having injury concerns.

If you're sick of picks and want to improve by going after a big fish, package an unprotected 2023 1st and Simon Edvinsson. I know we wouldn't want to give up Edvinsson, but that package alone would have so much more acquisition value than dealing away a couple 2nds, Tyler Bertuzzi and then kinda the junk we don't want or guys we hope have upside.

Your insane. :fence: You'd give that up for McDavid and love it... Don't even lie to yourself.

Absolutely I would. For MacKinnon too. However, Mathew Barzal is not either of those two players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad