Salary cap increase projection (3-7 million)

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Per the Tweet, so we are we expecting for this off season.

Fun Stat of the Day: Cap Space Edition
At $78M, EDM will have $17.19M to sign Nurse/Benning & complete this roster
($2.73M ELC bonuses)

X - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Drai - Yamamoto
X - RNH - X
X - Khaira - Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Benning
X

Talbot
X
------------------------------------------
Nurse - 7yrs $31.5M, Benning 4 yrs $12.5M
Gryba $0.900M & Malone $0.650 is still there

8.015 cap space remaining for 4 players.

G - Aaron Dell - 1yr $0.850M

F - Cogliano - 4yrs $18M
F - Brown - 3yrs $4.6M
F - Bouma - 2 yrs $2.4M
-----------------------------------
So your team

Cogliano - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Drai - Yamamoto
Brown - RNH - Bouma
Malone - Khaira - Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Benning
Gryba

Talbot
Dell

Edit: And Children wepted.

You have overpaid Nurse and Benning.

Nurse is a 3 mil tops. Benning is in the 1. something tops.

Reactions: Consultant

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

Are you just ignoring the term on Nurse's contract or... ? That would be a steal (at worst fair value) considering his tremendous upward development curve.

Agree regarding Benning though. I wouldn't be disappointed if the Oilers moved on from him, actually. Not a very good defenseman. We can do much better.

Reactions: harpoon

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The addition of the Seattle franchise should accelerate the cap's climb towards 90 million or so in the next 3-5 years as well.

Before McDavid and Draisaitl see their contracts expire, we'll probably be looking at close to 100 million.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

But the Oilers are helpless not to pay them, or that's what I'm told.
Are you just ignoring the term on Nurse's contract or... ? That would be a steal (at worst fair value) considering his tremendous upward development curve.

Agree regarding Benning though. I wouldn't be disappointed if the Oilers moved on from him, actually. Not a very good defenseman. We can do much better.

Again, its a helplessness.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The addition of the Seattle franchise should accelerate the cap's climb towards 90 million or so in the next 3-5 years as well.

Before McDavid and Draisaitl see their contracts expire, we'll probably be looking at close to 100 million.
At this rate McDavid and Draisaitl won't even be here at the end of their contracts.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Are you just ignoring the term on Nurse's contract or... ? That would be a steal considering his tremendous upward development curve.

I can understand 8 years for McDavid but it makes no sense to go over 5-6 for other players. For example they are overpaying Draisatl for six years in the hope that he will be underpaid for two? It makes no sense. Sign Nurse up to a year before free agency and then go from there. He deserves no more than around three on a contract like that.

Benning should not be making 2 mil. Cogliano is even overpaid in his work-up.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Remember. Eberle was down because the media for the first time in their lives were all over him after his dismal and pathetic playoff performance.

His value staying here could have gone even lower if we kept him.

It was a good bet that he was going to flourish in a place where he has no pressure at all and is barely recognized. It suits him perfectly.
ya....or we cold have gambled on the side of logic and expected eberle to go back to his statistical history and put up 25+ goals and 65-70pts like he has every single season prior to last year.

funny how the kings didn't trade kopitar after he ONLY scored 14 last year. or the flyers didn't trade Voracek after he ONLY got 61pts last year. weird how teams do that. but nah lets trade eberle after one weak season (51pts) and replace him with a bum and cap space which we A don't need and B didn't use.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
True the revenue has gone up because of Vegas, but the split is now among 31 teams not the previous 30. Hey I would love to see the increase, I just don't see the math. Even worse would be if it went up to 82m and then peaked and then just had 1m increases after that .

Not to be rude but your math isn’t very good. It’s much better for the cap to go up 7 mill now and only one the following for the foreseeable future.

#1 I honestly didn’t think the cap would be going up much at all over the next few years. 8 over the next 2 years is still way better than 3.2 over the next 2 years... just continuing using last years increase. 10 over 4 years versus 6.4 over 4 years. 14 over 8 years versus 12.8 over 8 years... How long were you planning this out for to make your math work?

#2 The more front loaded the cap goes up the less McDavids humongous cap hit hurts us next year. That’s big for the Oil. No team in the NHL gains as much from the cap going up than the Oilers. Well maybe Toronto.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

This team is ****ed.

Why is that bad? Even if you overpay Maroon with $4, Nurse with $4, and Benning with $2 (all slight overpays), you still have $7 million to fill 3 bottom 6 wingers, 7th dman, and backup goalie. That is an average of $1.4 million each, which is pretty doable, especially considering 1 of those spots will likely be a young guy on an ELC, and 7th dmen/backups don't make more than $1 million usually. Its not *fantastic*, but it really isn't that bad either.

The Eberle trade on the other hand was atrocious yesterday, and is even worse today. Simply inexcusable.

Reactions: Consultant

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Except that the Oilers have higher (McDavid/Leon anyways) quality players signed for max term. Others teams won’t just have McDavid and Leon level players aren’t just lying around waiting for cap space.

7 mill next year will basically just means an insanely high UFA market that the Oilers, in theory anyways, don’t need to touch with a ten foot pole for the next 5 years. By then, based off current cap projections, the Oilers will again have tons of cap space.

This is all just theory right now. I imagine the PA will not accept a 7 million raise due to escrow inflation.

Why? Haven't they only NOT used the escalator once under the current CBA?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Not to be rude but your math isn’t very good. It’s much better for the cap to go up 7 mill now and only one the following for the foreseeable future.

#1 I honestly didn’t think the cap would be going up much at all over the next few years. 8 over the next 2 years is still way better than 3.2 over the next 2 years... just continuing using last years increase. 10 over 4 years versus 6.4 over 4 years. 14 over 8 years versus 12.8 over 8 years... How long were you planning this out for to make your math work?

#2 The more front loaded the cap goes up the less McDavids humongous cap hit hurts us next year. That’s big for the Oil. No team in the NHL gains as much from the cap going up than the Oilers. Well maybe Toronto.

Yeah, we want the next 2-3 years of cap increases to be as large as possible in regards to making the McD/Drai contracts less painful.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is why it was important to get Drai and McDavid signed when they did assuming that they both fulfill their potential. Those deals will look better as the cap rises.

As far as the Eberle trade is concerned, I still maintain that it wasn't made for purely cap reasons. I have a feeling that he requested a trade so he was going to be gone this offseason regardless. Still doesn't make it a good trade though.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Benning needs to make #6 Dman money and not 3M per.
Nurse has earned himself a contract similar to Klefbom\Russell at 4M per. There is no way he signs long term at 3M per.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This is why it was important to get Drai and McDavid signed when they did assuming that they both fulfill their potential. Those deals will look better as the cap rises.

As far as the Eberle trade is concerned, I still maintain that it wasn't made for purely cap reasons. I have a feeling that he requested a trade so he was going to be gone this offseason regardless. Still doesn't make it a good trade though.
Agree that Ebs was as good as gone. The request may have come from McLellan and not Eberle. Glad to see him score some goals for NYI but he was done in Edmonton.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Why? Haven't they only NOT used the escalator once under the current CBA?

Im not sure why the Players Association doesn’t like using the escalator but while they have used it I thought I read they use it reluctantly and only in part.

I had thought it was the Owners often pushing to use it and the players resisting... Might be I have that wrong. I don’t know the ins and outs of it.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Im not sure why the Players Association doesn’t like using the escalator but while they have used it I thought I read they use it reluctantly and only in part.

I had thought it was the Owners often pushing to use it and the players resisting... Might be I have that wrong. I don’t know the ins and outs of it.
I thought it was because the escalator affected the amount of escrow the Player's end up having taken off their pay cheques. I could be wrong, but that seems like a thing that would be tied together, that escalator for the players with the Escrow collected.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Don't worry Chia will use that money to sign Tim Thomas to a 5 yr x 5mil/yr contract

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Next season

Tkakchuk-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Draisailt-Yamamoto
Comeau-RNH-Strome
Caggiula-Khaira-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
Sekera-Bear
Klefbom-Russel

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

The players have used the 5% escalator every year except this year because Vegas accounted for 23 new jobs. I anticipate they will continue to use the 5% escatalor in subsequent years.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The players have used the 5% escalator every year except this year because Vegas accounted for 23 new jobs. I anticipate they will continue to use the 5% escatalor in subsequent years.

Cool. Hope your right. Thanks for the info.

So I guess I am wondering why anyone wouldn't go with the full proposed cap raise?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

They had room for Draisaitl and could have held fire on making room for McDavid until this coming summer. All the Eberle trade accomplished was give them cap space they didn't need and didn't use at the expense of the on-ice product.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I thought there was a rumor during all star break he was asking to be traded, no? I know most shot it down but who knows. Perhaps this is what expedited it.

Even still, doesn't absolve Chia being an idiot with most of his trade returns

KickHimPedro

Dec 10, 2011
You guys are nuts if you think Nurse is only getting three million on a long term deal. If he signs long term for four, we’re going to be looking at that as a fantastic contract down the road (similar to Larsson’s current contract).

Reactions: Night Witch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad