Salary cap increase projection (3-7 million)

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
So projections on next year's Cap are between 3 to 7 million what does this mean for the Oilers?

I remember having debates about the cap % take up by the Mcdavid/Drai contract. I "guessed" that the cap would increase due to the addition of Vegas and the strength of the U.S. dollar. Would this have change how much Mcdavid would of got if we waited a year? Does it make you feel more comfortable about keeping Nuge going forward?
Did we jump the gun on the cap dump trades ie Eberle?

mullet

Aug 2, 2005
Yes we jumped the gun on Ebs for sure. Might help us keep Maroon but we still have cap troubles and we need to sign Nurse as well. I think they might go long term on Nurse and the cap increase may had weakened their bargaining position.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Even before this was announced we jumped the gun on trading Eberle since the cap space went to nothing this year. This just makes the deal even more painful.

Reactions: CornKicker

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Regarding Eberle, I dont think he wanted to be here. I think he was ready for a fresh start. You cant blame the player, year after year of hearing you are getting traded takes a toll. He never really took responsibility for his game, but its was time to move on. People need to move on.

The cap increase will help with McDavid and Draitsaitl contracts. Hopefully this helps keep Nuge. Nurse will need a pay raise.

Might help with Maroon. Question is should we move on from him ?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Regarding Eberle, I dont think he wanted to be here. I think he was ready for a fresh start. You cant blame the player, year after year of hearing you are getting traded takes a toll. He never really took responsibility for his game, but its was time to move on. People need to move on.

The cap increase will help with McDavid and Draitsaitl contracts. Hopefully this helps keep Nuge. Nurse will need a pay raise.

Might help with Maroon. Question is should we move on from him ?
Maroon will likely be moved for an underwhelming return ala Petry. Of course he doesn't hold much value currently.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Remember. Eberle was down because the media for the first time in their lives were all over him after his dismal and pathetic playoff performance.

His value staying here could have gone even lower if we kept him.

It was a good bet that he was going to flourish in a place where he has no pressure at all and is barely recognized. It suits him perfectly.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Remember. Eberle was down because the media for the first time in their lives were all over him after his dismal and pathetic playoff performance.

It was a good bet that he was going to flourish in a place where he has no pressure at all and is barely recognized. It suits him perfectly.

Even if he'd had another bad year I find it hard to believe that we'd get less for him than the fifth rounder or whatever Strome returns at the deadline.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So projections on next year's Cap are between 3 to 7 million what does this mean for the Oilers?

I remember having debates about the cap % take up by the Mcdavid/Drai contract. I "guessed" that the cap would increase due to the addition of Vegas and the strength of the U.S. dollar. Would this have change how much Mcdavid would of got if we waited a year? Does it make you feel more comfortable about keeping Nuge going forward?

We didn’t jump the gun on the Eberle trade. That was a nessasary trade that cleared cap space and moved a player that was obviously needed to get away from the Edmonton spotlight. Honestly, people who argue that we jumped the gun on the Eberle trade either ignore or just don’t understand the current era of cap management.

Even moving Eberle AND having the cap go up significantly will be a challenge for how many/how big (McDavids) contracts we will be dealing with.

Even with the cap going up I fully expect to lose one of Maroon or Nuge with a heavy bias towards Maroon being the guy that SHOULD be moved. Since Nuge has played so well, Maroon only being useful with McDavid, and I’m sure Maroon is going to ask for too much term and money. Something other places will be able to give Maroon more of both.

Big picture the cap going up as much as possible is a huge boon for the Oilers. A raise of 7 million next year would literally make Chiarelli look like a genius. It would mean our future is set for the full duration of Conners contract and on paper/cap management anyways that we would have a perennial playoff level team.

It would be huge for the Oilers if the cap goes up that much and McDavids gross contract and Leon’s big one will be reasonable at worst and probably even good after a few years. Something I never even dreamed possible after they were signed.

Reactions: McNuge

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
We didn’t jump the gun on the Eberle trade. That was a nessasary trade that cleared cap space and moved a player that was obviously needed to get away from the Edmonton spotlight. Honestly, people who argue that we jumped the gun on the Eberle trade either ignore or just don’t understand the current era of cap management.

Even moving Eberle AND having the cap go up significantly will be a challenge for how many/how big (McDavids) contracts we will be dealing with.

Even with the cap going up I fully expect to lose one of Maroon or Nuge with a heavy bias towards Maroon being the guy that SHOULD be moved. Since Nuge has played so well, Maroon only being useful with McDavid, and I’m sure Maroon is going to ask for too much term and money. Something other places will be able to give Maroon more of both.

Big picture the cap going up as much as possible is a huge boon for the Oilers. A raise of 7 million next year would literally make Chiarelli look like a genius. It would mean our future is set for the full duration of Conners contract and on paper/cap management anyways that we would have a perennial playoff level team.

It would be huge for the Oilers if the cap goes up that much and McDavids gross contract and Leon’s big one will be reasonable at worst and probably even good after a few years. Something I never even dreamed possible after they were signed.

Gonna disagree with you. In my opinion, the Oilers did 'jump the gun' on trading Eberle.

There was no immediate need for cap space. They still had a year to go and, based on other trades/needs around the league, his value, and subsequent return, would have been the same or better.
Look what the Aves got for Duchesne. He and Eberle had very similar numbers throughout their careers. The return may not have been as good but even something similar would have been much better than what they received. Eberle had his faults when it came to physicality sure. However, he was a point-getter and a good RW. That would have been valuable to a few teams had Chia chosen to wait...seeing as how he didn't need to make the deal when he did.

It would be different if Chia had traded Eberle for a quality return or was forced to, because of cap, before next season. A good GM finds ways out of and around issues.
Looks like Chia took the easy way out in this regard.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

A raise of $7 million probably means we can keep the amazing roster that has us in the bottom 5 this year. A little less and Maroon or Nuge are gone for sure.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Means we need to get a good management group in charge of this team ASAP to make proper use of the new cap space.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

ya man, but every other team were signing players to contracts based on the current cap. Only the Oilers were handing our huge 8 year deals. It's all relative, the cap may be going up - which means the teams that did their job with bargaining will still have the advantage.
Translation - Oilers are still screwed.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Except that the Oilers have higher (McDavid/Leon anyways) quality players signed for max term. Others teams won’t just have McDavid and Leon level players aren’t just lying around waiting for cap space.

7 mill next year will basically just means an insanely high UFA market that the Oilers, in theory anyways, don’t need to touch with a ten foot pole for the next 5 years. By then, based off current cap projections, the Oilers will again have tons of cap space.

This is all just theory right now. I imagine the PA will not accept a 7 million raise due to escrow inflation.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Except that the Oilers have higher (McDavid/Leon anyways) quality players signed for max term. Others teams won’t just have McDavid and Leon level players aren’t just lying around waiting for cap space.

7 mill next year will basically just means an insanely high UFA market that the Oilers, in theory anyways, don’t need to touch with a ten foot pole for the next 5 years. By then, based off current cap projections, the Oilers will again have tons of cap space.

This is all just theory right now. I imagine the PA will not accept a 7 million raise due to escrow inflation.

Or does a growing escrow help them make a stronger case in the next CBA negotiation? Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think it's a position of strength for them to argue the % and HRR number. Can argue that the league is running up the cap, but not actually paying players the right amount of money in line with the contracts being signed. Of course their argument would be bunk if they used the escalator to lift the cap, but if they league was just doing it on their own, not sure the NHLPA would object.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Per the Tweet, so we are we expecting for this off season.

Fun Stat of the Day: Cap Space Edition
At $78M, EDM will have $17.19M to sign Nurse/Benning & complete this roster
($2.73M ELC bonuses)

X - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Drai - Yamamoto
X - RNH - X
X - Khaira - Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Benning
X

Talbot
X
------------------------------------------
Nurse - 7yrs $31.5M, Benning 4 yrs $12.5M
Gryba $0.900M & Malone $0.650 is still there

8.015 cap space remaining for 4 players.

G - Aaron Dell - 1yr $0.850M

F - Cogliano - 4yrs $18M
F - Brown - 3yrs $4.6M
F - Bouma - 2 yrs $2.4M
-----------------------------------
So your team

Cogliano - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Drai - Yamamoto
Brown - RNH - Bouma
Malone - Khaira - Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Benning
Gryba

Talbot
Dell

Edit: And Children wepted.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't know how the NHLPA denies it's players the highest amount of cap available, escrow or not. Escrow has been returned to players since the league has met it's revenue, the money is just delayed.
I just don't see how there will would be a 7m increase, that's almost an average of 10% revenue per team. Yea, I know the increased Canadian dollars helps, but still that's a whack of an increase.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't know how the NHLPA denies it's players the highest amount of cap available, escrow or not. Escrow has been returned to players since the league has met it's revenue, the money is just delayed.
I just don't see how there will would be a 7m increase, that's almost an average of 10% revenue per team. Yea, I know the increased Canadian dollars helps, but still that's a whack of an increase.
They added a new NHL team that sells out almost every game.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

You can get lower value then Strome?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
They added a new NHL team that sells out almost every game.

True the revenue has gone up because of Vegas, but the split is now among 31 teams not the previous 30. Hey I would love to see the increase, I just don't see the math. Even worse would be if it went up to 82m and then peaked and then just had 1m increases after that .

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
It was reasonable to trade Eberle. I think most people agree about that. What wasn't reasonable was trading him for only Ryan Strome, and I think most people agree with that too. Part of Chiarelli's justification for the trade was the added cap space Strome's contract offered. It was hardly a justifiable explanation when it happened, though, given that Chiarelli added virtually nothing with the extra cap space, and it's downright egregious now given next year's cap increase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad