Salary Cap - After the TDL & Beyond

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Summer of 2019 will be the Day of Reckoning in regards to the cap, especially if we bridge BOTH Anderson and Wennberg. So many FAs that season (Werenski comes off his ELC that summer, too. Woof.).

So while Chicago took the cost certainty in Saad, we potentially are looking at 4 (at least) HUGE deals in '19 - Bob's next contract, keeping Panarin, Werenski, and Wennberg off a bridge (if they do a 2-year deal this summer). That's to say nothing of Jenner's next deal, Nutiavaara, or Murray if he's still around - all up next summer. Korpi is still an RFA in '19.

I think the key will be shedding Hartnell, Calvert, and Johnson and trying to pick up some assets (picks, prospects) - maybe we can retain salary on Hartnell on a trade instead of a buyout. If PLD comes along AND we acquire a top 6 center, then a Dubi buyout in 2-3 years becomes a realistic possibility should his production continue to decline.
2019 is a large part of why I think we should just go ahead and give Wennberg significant term like we did with Jones, honestly. One way or another I think he's established himself as being part of the team going forward.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
2019 is a large part of why I think we should just go ahead and give Wennberg significant term like we did with Jones, honestly. One way or another I think he's established himself as being part of the team going forward.

Hopefully a 6 year, $30ish million deal gets it done.

What I've been saying for awhile now. Somewhere between 5-5.5M for 5-6 seasons.

I think adding Panarin is going to take Wennberg to the next tier, so it's best to sign him long term before he discovers it on the ice with Panarin and starts racking up the points. Even if he's only a 50pt player, he's still worth the money and term. And even in a worst case scenario the contract is still movable.

Sign Wennberg long term, bridge Anderson. Compare FAs, if there's no one better and Gagner doesn't ask for a giant raise and /or term re-sign him.

Re-sign Atkinson sometime before the end of this upcoming season(that can be done right?)

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Let's enjoy these next two seasons before we worry about future cap considerations...especially if the cap continues to rise. Everything will work itself out.

While as fans this is an ok point of view I sure don't think the Jackets look at it like that. They have to keep powder dry so they don't have to go Blackhawks and trade out of desperation.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Let's enjoy these next two seasons before we worry about future cap considerations...especially if the cap continues to rise. Everything will work itself out.

JoeyD, agree that it would be fun to enjoy the next 2 seasons without worry. Not happening, however.

Viqsi, agree on Wennberg. Whether he is 1C or 2C, he will be integral part of CBJ for several years to come (assuming reasonable progression or retention of current level of play). C's, especially a 1C or 2C, are highly valuable and difficult to replace. Trick is to get his salary to match up with future performance. We can afford elite players if they play as elite players, so long as part of master plan.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Re-sign Atkinson sometime before the end of this upcoming season(that can be done right?)

This is the only part I don't agree with. Atkinson has been a good soldier for us and the good news is I think we've gotten his best years -- but he'll be 29 this year and I just can't see giving him a long term extension (he's not gonna take another bridge) with our other needs (Werenski, Panarin, centers, etc) -- that is just too much dough locked up on the wing.

If we are in contention then I'll think he'll be allowed to walk in UFA. If for some reason this team takes a nosedive then I think he's dealt at the deadline. Either way -- hopefully we can milk one last year career year out of him :)

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
All year I've been back and forth on whether we should bridge Wennberg or lock him up long-term...but now that we've cleared a good chunk of cap by trading Clarkson (and assuming Hartnell's bought out), as well as adding a superstar to his wing, I am definitely in favor of locking Wenny up long-term. Shouldn't be more than 5.5AAV on a 5-6 year deal.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
For the first time this year, I'm actually starting to become in favor of giving Wennberg a long term deal worth hopefully 5-5.5 million a year after getting Panarin. Think it's worthwhile to sign him to that deal now. You can bridge Anderson then. Still not sure if I want to sign Gagner to a 2 year deal. I know we have the cap space to do it, that we might not use otherwise (Duchene deal appears unlikely), but I'm a bit tentative to commit a roster spot to him in 2018-2019 as well.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
For the first time this year, I'm actually starting to become in favor of giving Wennberg a long term deal worth hopefully 5-5.5 million a year after getting Panarin. Think it's worthwhile to sign him to that deal now. You can bridge Anderson then. Still not sure if I want to sign Gagner to a 2 year deal. I know we have the cap space to do it, that we might not use otherwise (Duchene deal appears unlikely), but I'm a bit tentative to commit a roster spot to him in 2018-2019 as well.

I have been in favor, and even projected months ago, to bridge him for 2 years. And even though I am bullish on Panarin, I can now see the argument for extending Wennberg long term.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

It's basically PLD vs Gagner for 3C.

I think it's PLDs to lose.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-summer-market-matt-duchene-still-open/

Interesting article about the cap, McDavid's deal and the future.

Interesting how teams and players will look at this entirely differently.

I am now firmly in the lock 'em up as soon as you can, for as long as you can and as inexpensively as you can.

Wennberg 8 x 6 mill ?
Pannarin can be locked up as early as July 1 2018. If he puts up 60 + 8 x 8?
Werenski when his time comes will command at least 6 probably more I'd take early guess of 6.5-7 per and hope for 8 years.

This whole signing bonus thing and possible lockout is troubling also.

I'd say this whole trend dooms JJ's future as a Jacket unless he takes about what he is making now and maybe a bit less for a 4 or 5 year deal.

I'm guessing Cam could be hurt by this unless he too signs early and reasonably.

Bob is another big looming problem. I just don't get paying a goalie 10 mill a year. I'd rather have a solid 1A-1B for less than that combined.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Bob is another big looming problem. I just don't get paying a goalie 10 mill a year. I'd rather have a solid 1A-1B for less than that combined.

I agree except I think that rationale falls off when talking about a goalie who is either the best or second best in the league at that time. For any other goalie it doesn't make sense, but for Price and/or Bob it MIGHT.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-summer-market-matt-duchene-still-open/

Interesting article about the cap, McDavid's deal and the future.

Interesting how teams and players will look at this entirely differently.

I am now firmly in the lock 'em up as soon as you can, for as long as you can and as inexpensively as you can.

Wennberg 8 x 6 mill ?
Pannarin can be locked up as early as July 1 2018. If he puts up 60 + 8 x 8?
Werenski when his time comes will command at least 6 probably more I'd take early guess of 6.5-7 per and hope for 8 years.

This whole signing bonus thing and possible lockout is troubling also.

I'd say this whole trend dooms JJ's future as a Jacket unless he takes about what he is making now and maybe a bit less for a 4 or 5 year deal.

I'm guessing Cam could be hurt by this unless he too signs early and reasonably.

I don't know that this has any impact on JJ. With the depth of LHD coming up, I don't think an extension beyond 2-3 years is likely. Much depends on Murray's play or possible trade but I think CBJ is truly expecting big things from Nuti, Carlsson and Gavrikov in the next 1-2 years. That's what's likely to push JJ out.

I agree with you that this is troubling and a likely labor strike yet again. I don't think the NHL has figured out they are not one of the big major league sports when it comes to money. Little TV revenue and, currently, limited growth potential. With players and now coaches salaries going up (with comments from agents that Coaches and players are still behind the NFL, NBA and MLB...), that's worrisome to me.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I agree except I think that rationale falls off when talking about a goalie who is either the best or second best in the league at that time. For any other goalie it doesn't make sense, but for Price and/or Bob it MIGHT.

It might, but I still wouldn't do it. I'd let another team do it. Saving $5 million at the goaltender position can allow you to pay your top young forwards/defensemen. Goaltenders can be great and then not great too easily. I'd much rather give my money to players who are consistently very good to great.

I'd rather be able to keep all of our top guys (Savard, Werenski, Jones, Panarin, Wennberg, etc....) and get a new goaltender than keep Bobrovsky and lose one of our top forwards/defensemen.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
It might, but I still wouldn't do it. I'd let another team do it. Saving $5 million at the goaltender position can allow you to pay your top young forwards/defensemen. Goaltenders can be great and then not great too easily. I'd much rather give my money to players who are consistently very good to great.

I'd rather be able to keep all of our top guys (Savard, Werenski, Jones, Panarin, Wennberg, etc....) and get a new goaltender than keep Bobrovsky and lose one of our top forwards/defensemen.

I agree 100%.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

I think the assumption that Bobrovsky is expendable, that we could go out and just find a 1A or a 1B (if Korpisalo is a 1A which I don't think he is), and that our defense would be fine with a different goaltender, is taking a big risk.

I think we've got our 1A spot filled (Bob). Let's leave well enough alone and just pay what it costs to keep that piece of the puzzle intact.

Build around:
Panarin - Wennberg

Werenski - Jones

Bobrovsky

The rest comes and goes as needed. The way the current NHL is going, there's no way to get around being top-heavy and needing players on ELC's to fill big spots for an affordable price.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think the assumption that Bobrovsky is expendable, that we could go out and just find a 1A or a 1B (if Korpisalo is a 1A which I don't think he is), and that our defense would be fine with a different goaltender, is taking a big risk.

I think we've got our 1A spot filled (Bob). Let's leave well enough alone and just pay what it costs to keep that piece of the puzzle intact.

Build around:
Panarin - Wennberg

Werenski - Jones

Bobrovsky

The rest comes and goes as needed.

For me it's not that Bob is expendable, it's that he's not worth $10+ million.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

I think he's worth whatever it costs to keep him because I don't want to take the risk of seeing how the team plays in front of someone cheaper.

Until it means we have to move Panarin/Wennberg/Werenski/Jones to keep him, I think all other players go before Bob.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think he's worth whatever it costs to keep him because I don't want to take the risk of seeing how the team plays in front of someone cheaper.

Until it means we have to move Panarin/Wennberg/Werenski/Jones to keep him, I think all other players go before Bob.

Well the key here is we have to find his replacement before he actually goes. I'm not saying willy-nilly just get rid of him. This might happen organically anyway.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Build around:
Panarin - Wennberg

Werenski - Jones

Bobrovsky

The rest comes and goes as needed. The way the current NHL is going, there's no way to get around being top-heavy and needing players on ELC's to fill big spots for an affordable price.

I agree that it might not be easy, but I disagree that we should just keep him and pay him whatever he wants. You need to keep your top players, but not for more than they are worth. If you have to pay a player $10 million, and he is worth it, fine. I just don't think any goaltender is worth that, right now. I definitely don't think Bobrovsky is worth that.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Exactly. As long as there is a salary cap, I don't want to pay players a lot more than they are worth. We are already doing that with a few players. If we can sign Bobrovsky to a contract that makes sense, and get rid of salary in other places, fine. If we can't, then I wouldn't be signing him.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I agree that it might not be easy, but I disagree that we should just keep him and pay him whatever he wants. You need to keep your top players, but not for more than they are worth. If you have to pay a player $10 million, and he is worth it, fine. I just don't think any goaltender is worth that, right now. I definitely don't think Bobrovsky is worth that.

I disagree.

I think the goal is to make the playoffs and Bobrovsky has shown that he's more than capable of carrying the team there. To that degree, he has the same impact as an elite center or defenseman.

Additionally, I think that teams currently overpay top players and then offset that overpayment by underpaying the rest of the roster. In this way, I'm also ok with them overpaying Jones, Werenski, Wennberg, and Panarin.

If we were talking about any other goaltender other than Bobrovsky or Price, then I would agree that goaltending is a place where teams shouldn't over-invest. However, Bobrovsky has won 2 Vezinas and been a finalist for the Hart. Teams don't let players with that kind of hardware and recognition go.

I think it's better if we get used to the idea of seeing Bobrovsky on a contract where he earns more than $10 million a year and already begin to justify such a move. It'll save us work in a year or two.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I disagree.

I think the goal is to make the playoffs and Bobrovsky has shown that he's more than capable of carrying the team there. To that degree, he has the same impact as an elite center or defenseman.

Additionally, I think that teams currently overpay top players and then offset that overpayment by underpaying the rest of the roster. In this way, I'm also ok with them overpaying Jones, Werenski, Wennberg, and Panarin.

If we were talking about any other goaltender other than Bobrovsky or Price, then I would agree that goaltending is a place where teams shouldn't over-invest. However, Bobrovsky has won 2 Vezinas and been a finalist for the Hart. Teams don't let players with that kind of hardware and recognition go.

I think it's better if we get used to the idea of seeing Bobrovsky on a contract where he earns more than $10 million a year and already begin to justify such a move. It'll save us work in a year or two.

If Bob can get out of his consistent playoff funk, there's a case to be made. I want CBJ to start winning playoff series, and Bob has proven he's not the goalie to do that just much as he's proven he can get them there.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The problem is, we are already overpaying guys who aren't top forwards/defensemen/goaltenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad