Salary Cap - After the TDL & Beyond

major major

Feb 18, 2013
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-salary-cap-could-increase-2-5-million-or-3-million-193050518.html;_ylt=A0LEViekMMFYRycAxkUnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEzM2U5c2NwBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM3BHZ0aWQDRkZVSUMwXzEEc2VjA3Ny

So potential good news on the salary cap front. Figure this could serve as a thread to keep around to discuss the Jackets' salary cap issues both current and prospectively.

I think the Jackets have enough wiggle room that they don't need an increase this summer. And this raises the price of all players and makes big spending teams stronger. In a few years though we'll really need it.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not sure I'd consider the players exercising their escalator clause a good thing, but, yes, it would give some cap teams some breathing room.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
It's a good thing. Just because the cap goes up doesn't mean you have to pay more. GMs will set precedent with what they feel a guy is worth and players will ask for comparable so as long as rival GMs don't go nuts it won't hurt us only help bring in or keep current talent. It's good for us with Cam needing signed in a year, Bob coming up in a few, and then all our young guys.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
The salary cap increase isn't going to help solve anything.

If anything it will just increase your A+ players's salary. You will see a larger disparity between have's and have nots. And you will still only be able to afford a certain amount of top tier talent.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

If anything it will just increase your A+ players's salary. You will see a larger disparity between have's and have nots. And you will still only be able to afford a certain amount of top tier talent.

That is really dependent on each teams Mgmt., and their decisions on how to comprise a team. The cap is put in place to protect the league from itself. Here in Columbus we have seen salaries paid that try to anticipate market value of players projected over the term - in some cases we have over paid to bring in or secure talent. Some of the overpaid players - have been jettisoned when production doesn't equate to salary - but interestingly enough, other teams have always taken those players and we haven't retained salary (to my knowledge)

Now that Columbus has a good young nucleus that could win for many years, it will be interesting to see if the Jackets will be in on more free agents that otherwise would not have considered the Jackets before. Many players that have played here keep their homes & come back to Columbus in retirement. (likely due to affordable cost of living, great schools & elite golf courses). Regardless, the CBJ will likely be a team that continues to be reliant primarily on the draft and development system. I could see Ownership spending to the cap if attendance increases due to winning.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Sure it will. It will allow teams like the Jackets to re-sign guys like Werenski, Wennberg, Korpi, et al to reasonable contracts while either buying a couple years of UFA or retaining one more go with these guys as RFA's.

If the Jackets continue to improve and become more and more of a serious Cup contender I would hope the increased salary cap (assuming it continues to rise) would allow all current talent to be retained and rewarded and maybe attract the missing piece in free agency.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sure it will. It will allow teams like the Jackets to re-sign guys like Werenski, Wennberg, Korpi, et al to reasonable contracts while either buying a couple years of UFA or retaining one more go with these guys as RFA's.

If the Jackets continue to improve and become more and more of a serious Cup contender I would hope the increased salary cap (assuming it continues to rise) would allow all current talent to be retained and rewarded and maybe attract the missing piece in free agency.

I agree with you but only because this club is going to be squeezed hard in a couple years. Now that we're finally good, it is needed big time.

But it really hasn't been a good thing for Columbus generally when the cap goes up. It's just made it easier for teams like the Pens to stick together, had no binding effect on the Jackets roster, and of course it drives up costs for a cash strapped team (with more to pay by ticket holders, local gov, etc...)

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
At best I would call it neutral.
So much negativity in here about this if you look at NBA or NFL situations to compare normally when it comes to cap raising its great for resigning your own people a.d.getting hometown discounts and the UFAs cash in but that's how it ALWAYS happens. Look at guys like Ladd, lucic, and backes. Those guys were extremely overpaid. Just like Horton and Clarkson years before. But if the cap stayed or lowered UFAs still would get overpaid because they have to take scraps as RFAs that they demand finally getting their money.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm in the cap that it's neutral as well.
The cap rising helps teams that make mistakes. The good consistent teams it helps let them spend more - but gives other teams more money to spend as well.
So maybe it helps, but I would see it as neutral.
Obvioulsy good for the players so they can make more money!

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So much negativity in here about this if you look at NBA or NFL situations to compare normally when it comes to cap raising its great for resigning your own people a.d.getting hometown discounts and the UFAs cash in but that's how it ALWAYS happens. Look at guys like Ladd, lucic, and backes. Those guys were extremely overpaid. Just like Horton and Clarkson years before. But if the cap stayed or lowered UFAs still would get overpaid because they have to take scraps as RFAs that they demand finally getting their money.

Negativity to what?

Think it through. The players are using an escalator, which means the financials aren't there to support a cap raise on their own. Think beyond the immediate impact to teams that could use some cap space next season. Think about the the situation with the world financials as a whole.

Read my original post.

I really wish people would actually try and understand what people are writing an why. What you posted, I really don't give a crap about. That's cap management at a team level.

Oh and yeah, yeah. The player could say the owners are cooking the books to keep the cap down and not pay as much. Maybe there is some of it, which is why I said "I'm not sure". There is also the consideration of the escrow. Teams probably aren't paying out the players entire salary now. It's fairly complex.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Cap going up is not a good thing, unless the small market teams can comfortably spend to that limit, if not, then the system favors the large market teams. Curious how much revenue the jackets bring in compared to what they spend annually ? Anyone have that info ?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Cap going up is not a good thing, unless the small market teams can comfortably spend to that limit, if not, then the system favors the large market teams. Curious how much revenue the jackets bring in compared to what they spend annually ? Anyone have that info ?

Per Forbes it's 100m. I don't know enough about the cost side - I know there is a lot of fuzzy accounting where the arena expenses are offloaded.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Per Forbes it's 100m. I don't know enough about the cost side - I know there is a lot of fuzzy accounting where the arena expenses are offloaded.

So is that the total value of franchise , or money the jackets bring in from money shared within the nhl, tv contracts, ticket , and merchandise sales ? Just curious, because I know Worthington Industries does well, but if we know that they are spending 76 million alone in payroll, what money is coming in to offset that ?

Guess I'm trying to wrap my head around how we can determine if this is a good or bad thing. My first instinct , is this is a bad thing, because up until a few years ago, we didn't spend near the cap. In the past few we have, but some of that were contracts that were bad and we were just stuck with . Is the money coming in sufficient to support us spending to the cap ?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So is that the total value of franchise , or money the jackets bring in from money shared within the nhl, tv contracts, ticket , and merchandise sales ? Just curious, because I know Worthington Industries does well, but if we know that they are spending 76 million alone in payroll, what money is coming in to offset that ?

Guess I'm trying to wrap my head around how we can determine if this is a good or bad thing. My first instinct , is this is a bad thing, because up until a few years ago, we didn't spend near the cap. In the past few we have, but some of that were contracts that were bad and we were just stuck with . Is the money coming in sufficient to support us spending to the cap ?

100m total revenue - though that's going up as we speak. The team hasn't actually been breaking even.

It would have to go up by a lot (maybe to a total 125m) to sustain 76m in player salary. I don't know the current total cost figures, like I said the accounting with the arena costs is weird so you can't infer the real costs from revenues minus operating income. So we can't say for sure how much is needed to break even. But I think not counting the fuzzy accounting / govt help, the break even revenue should be close to 125m.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think that's pretty attainable if the jackets can get some kind of playoff streak going for the next 3-5 years. Being a perennial playoff contender should mean more filled seats during the first half of the year. It'll give something for the city to cheer during the week before OSU

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
SJust curious, because I know Worthington Industries does well, but if we know that they are spending 76 million alone in payroll, what money is coming in to offset that?

Worthington Industries does not have ownership stake in the Jackets, at least that I'm aware of. McConnell does.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Salary cap is set at 75 million for next year.

Assuming we keep Hartnell which it looks like it will happen,
Bridge Wennberg at 3.5 and Anderson at 2 and Sedlak at a million
Here's the roster:

Jenner 2.9
Foligno 5.5
Calvert 2.2
Atkinson 3.5
Dubinsky 5.85
Hartnell 4.75
Saad 6
Wennberg 3.5
Anderson 2
Bjorkstrand 0.675

Sedlak 0.825
PLD 0.925
Forwards 13
Total Forwards 39

Defensemen 7
Murray 2.825
Jones 5.4
Savard 4.25
Johnson 4.357

Werenski 0.925
Nutivaara 0.817
Carlsson 0.925

Defense Subtotal 19.499

Goalie 8.5

Buyouts
Boll 0.567
Tyutin 1.958
Total 69.524

Cap 75

Assuming Clarkson is gone or we can play the game to maximize his LITR we have approximately 5.5 to play with.

What do you do with it?

Re-sign Gagner at 2 to 3 mill for another 1 year?
Try to get a veteran like Patrick Eaves on a 1 to 2 year deal at the same $ as Gagner
Count on Milano or another of the cheap youngsters to make the team?
Buyout Hartnell and get the best UFA you can?
Go longer term on Wennberg & Anderson?

We have a young team already with PLD, Sedlak, Bjorkstrand as F's. Do we add a 4th young guy to that group?

My preference is to re-sign Gagner or get a UFA like Eaves as cheaply as possible. Don't know if it doable but with lots of good teams having cap issues it might hold down UFA $.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Re-sign Gagner at 2 to 3 mill for another 1 year?
Try to get a veteran like Patrick Eaves on a 1 to 2 year deal at the same $ as Gagner
Count on Milano or another of the cheap youngsters to make the team?
Buyout Hartnell and get the best UFA you can?
Go longer term on Wennberg & Anderson?

We have a young team already with PLD, Sedlak, Bjorkstrand as F's. Do we add a 4th young guy to that group?

No
No
Maybe
No
Maybe

Yes

We need to trade for a true number 1 center or just go with who we have already.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Assuming we don't trade for a top 6 C and we bridge Wennberg & Anderson for somewhere up to 6 million combined we will have a bit under 5 million in cap room.

Projecting out to next year and assuming Hartnell is gone either via a trade or a buyout we are still in good shape.

As I look at the roster without adding a top 6 C I think our best bet is to re-sign Gagner to a 2 year deal and spend what we have to, within reason, to get it done. I think we could go as high as 4 mill per and still be ok cap wise for the next 2 years.

With a bit of planning and a Dubi buyout 2 years down the road we could pay Panarin 8 per and Wennberg 7 mill (not saying we will or should just saying we could if we had to) in 2019.

Wild cards in this scenario are :

How much does Cam get re-signed for? I wouldn't go higher than 5.5

Do we re-sign Johnson and for how much and how long? I say he is a goner after this year maybe at the deadline depending on how we stand and how the youngins develop.

Can we re-sign Bob at 8.5 mill going forward?

By adding Gagner we get a guy who can play C or RW just about anywhere in the lineup in case of injuries;

Add a pretty sure bet 40 point guy with a 50ish upside

2 years - up to 4 million per.

:popcorn:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Summer of 2019 will be the Day of Reckoning in regards to the cap, especially if we bridge BOTH Anderson and Wennberg. So many FAs that season (Werenski comes off his ELC that summer, too. Woof.).

So while Chicago took the cost certainty in Saad, we potentially are looking at 4 (at least) HUGE deals in '19 - Bob's next contract, keeping Panarin, Werenski, and Wennberg off a bridge (if they do a 2-year deal this summer). That's to say nothing of Jenner's next deal, Nutiavaara, or Murray if he's still around - all up next summer. Korpi is still an RFA in '19.

I think the key will be shedding Hartnell, Calvert, and Johnson and trying to pick up some assets (picks, prospects) - maybe we can retain salary on Hartnell on a trade instead of a buyout. If PLD comes along AND we acquire a top 6 center, then a Dubi buyout in 2-3 years becomes a realistic possibility should his production continue to decline.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Let's enjoy these next two seasons before we worry about future cap considerations...especially if the cap continues to rise. Everything will work itself out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad