Confirmed with Link: Saku Maenalanen 1 year 2 way

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
He's pretty damn amazing but I'm sure the Jets will find a way to ruin him. He lacks hockey IQ though and he has a severe magnesium deficiency
Talk about plug 'n play! Wheeler can direct him to the apothecary and Shuffles can deliver his series of mini-lectures on defensive awareness.

But seriously, seems like a nice signing. Fingers crossed.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
My scouting report on Mäenalanen would be: Big, strong guy with good speed. Has some skill too. Has toughness and grit too. I think he can be an "OK" 4th line player in NHL. But I don't think he has upside to be more than that.

But can he mentor Brad Lambert?

Let's rub a little grit into that snowflake, dagnabbit.

We needed a hard-nosed player with some speed and skill to run with a 4th that plays more minutes in more situations under Bowness. Saku seems like a good option.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Apparently he's a pretty good locker room guy as well, at least among Finns. Most of the players were saying almost unanimously in the last World Hockey Championships something like Mäenalanen is the biggest jokester in the team. I don't know how similar to that it is in NA locker rooms, but I guess that he surely won't be a locker room cancer.

Most importantly Mäenalanen needs daddy Scheifele's & uncle Blake's approval on his first jokes, after that it should be smooth sailing as he would be liked forever inside the Winnipeg locker room. He'll be traded quickly if they don't approve.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Apparently he's a pretty good locker room guy as well, at least among Finns. Most of the players were saying almost unanimously in the last World Hockey Championships something like Mäenalanen is the biggest jokester in the team. I don't know how similar to that it is in NA locker rooms, but I guess that he surely won't be a locker room cancer.

Most importantly Mäenalanen needs daddy Scheifele's & uncle Blake's approval on his first jokes, after that it should be smooth sailing as he would be liked forever inside the Winnipeg locker room. He'll be traded quickly if they don't approve.
Him and Nate Schmidtt holding court.. maybe they'll lighten things up in there a bit this year. Make coming to the rink fun again

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
My scouting report on Mäenalanen would be: Big, strong guy with good speed. Has some skill too. Has toughness and grit too. I think he can be an "OK" 4th line player in NHL. But I don't think he has upside to be more than that.
How is he on the PK? That's an area that will probably decide some if not all 4th line positions.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Thats a solid nickname for him, Saku "The Maestro" Maenalanen :laugh:
1658455671795.png

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I quite much agree with your description. I think that he could be useful even in the 3rd line though. But he would need a bit more skill to have upside for a middle 6 role. Otherwise I think that he could have even potential for that. A quite nice bottom 6 player in my opinion anyway.

Reactions: DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I would like to see a 3 rd line of Lowery center Barron and Maenalanen on the wings. If they gell …….. that would be a big line to match up against with everyone over 6’4……

Reactions: Ippenator

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would like to see a 3 rd line of Lowery center Barron and Maenalanen on the wings. If they gell …….. that would be a big line to match up against with everyone over 6’4……

I was thinking a 4th line of Maestro-Gustafsson-Stenlund, that could speak the same language(s) on the ice.

If anyone is going to be happy to see an influx of Europeans this offseason it's Nik Ehlers, who had Vesalainen around, and Reichel for parts of last year, Heinola for a cup of coffee. There's more than a few guys now to kick the soccer ball around in pregame this year.

Fintastic

Jul 10, 2022
A good fourth liner. He works hard in every shift, positional play us his strong suit and he doesn't shy away physical play. He has decent skills with the pick too but he plays the simple play as a fourth liner should.

Reactions: voyageur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad