Sakic vs Yzerman as GMs

Sakic vs Yzerman as GM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Player vs player has been beaten to death but not so much as GMs. Both have shown the ability to build exciting elite teams so the question is if your team started a rebuild who would you choose to oversee it?

Last edited:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I have both in my top 5 but Stevie has the cup.

Joes recent trades (stealing Toews, Duchene haul) have been very impressive, though. It’s hard to imagine a team going from Pre-Sakic defence, to possibly the best young up and coming group in the league. They may one day pass Carolina and Dallas.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Technically Yzerman didn't win the cup with Tampa. He built most of the team which couldn't win while he was in Tampa, the new GM had to make couple of key moves for them to eventually win it

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Technically Yzerman didn't win the cup with Tampa. He built most of the team which couldn't win while he was in Tampa, the new GM had to make couple of key moves for them to eventually win it
He couldn't win because his family wanted him back home in Detroit. The entire core was built by Yzerman

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He couldn't win because his family wanted him back home in Detroit. The entire core was built by Yzerman
Yzerman's team couldn't win and was being criticized for being skilled but too soft. The new GM made moves which made that a cup winner. They were important moves. Whether or not Yzerman would have made the same moves which would win them the cup is unknown. The team Yzerman put together got swept by the Jackets

Reactions: Voight

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yzerman's team couldn't win and was being criticized for being skilled but too soft. The new GM made moves which made that a cup winner. They were important moves. Whether or not Yzerman would have made the same moves which would win them the cup is unknown. The team Yzerman put together got swept by the Jackets
So what you're saying is Blake Coleman and Maroon was the reason Tampa won? Getting swept by the Jackets was an outlier. Who knows what would happen if they got passed that round? They were so stacked that they won without Stamkos.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So what you're saying is Blake Coleman and Maroon was the reason Tampa won? Getting swept by the Jackets was an outlier. Who knows what would happen if they got passed that round? They were so stacked that they won without Stamkos.
Coleman, Goodrow, Maroon, Shattenkirk. Bogosian played big roles for Tampa to win the cup.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Coleman, Goodrow, Maroon, Shattenkirk. Bogosian played big roles for Tampa to win the cup.

Thank god Bogo was such a huge part of that cup win. Hopefully he can repeat his magic with a similarly skilled Leafs team that got a lot of the same criticisms as Yzerman's Lightning.

I'm being a little hyperbolic in the above, but I still believe most of the credit for the Bolts cup win goes to Yzerman. It's not fair to say otherwise. Thats no intended slight to BriseBois who hasn't done anything to suggest he's a poor GM, but I don't think its Yzermans core that played the bigger role in the win.

As for the poll, I believe it's Yzerman for the time being. Sakic has done wonders but they still need to prove themselves. The Avalanche seem to be the best team in the NHL on paper. But they never seem to be able to put it together to be the best there is when push comes to shove. It's unfortunate they didn't really get a fair chance to prove themselves after the freak goalie injuries against the Stars.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
TB's model was basically Yzerman's. He did it the right way being groomed by Holland early on. Also he managed International teams that were successful. Here is a guy that learned his craft, he just didn't use his name to become a GM. He earned it. I have often said this, but you will find few better hockey men as sharp as Stevie Y.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yzerman didn't win a cup, technically, but he also built a roster that made it to the finals once, and to the conference finals four out of eight times. Two years after he left the next GM won a Stanley Cup. He clearly structured a solid core roster.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Thank god Bogo was such a huge part of that cup win. Hopefully he can repeat his magic with a similarly skilled Leafs team that got a lot of the same criticisms as Yzerman's Lightning.

I'm being a little hyperbolic in the above, but I still believe most of the credit for the Bolts cup win goes to Yzerman. It's not fair to say otherwise. Thats no intended slight to BriseBois who hasn't done anything to suggest he's a poor GM, but I don't think its Yzermans core that played the bigger role in the win.

As for the poll, I believe it's Yzerman for the time being. Sakic has done wonders but they still need to prove themselves. The Avalanche seem to be the best team in the NHL on paper. But they never seem to be able to put it together to be the best there is when push comes to shove. It's unfortunate they didn't really get a fair chance to prove themselves after the freak goalie injuries against the Stars.
No question Yzerman is a very good GM, no denying that. He put together the the Tampa core with major help of their scouts finding top players like Point in later rounds.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Fair but Tampa also made the 2015 SCF under Yzerman, COL has made 0 SCF under Sakic.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Sakic's reputation has certainly recovered from the days of Roy's apparent meddling or whatever-the-f*** the reason was for those atrocious years, but Yzerman built a team that won a Cup, and he appears to be drafting well for the Wings. If the Wings make the playoffs in the next few years, if they make a decent splash, that will be a legitimate miracle and Yzerman will deserve all the credit.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Fair but Tampa also made the 2015 SCF under Yzerman, COL has made 0 SCF under Sakic.
I never said Sakic is a better GM than Yzerman. So many people saying Yzerman has a cup as a GM and Sakic doesn’t and that's not true. Yzerman doesn't have that ring on his finger, Brisebois does

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm pretty sure a few other players played even bigger roles....
Ok just to clarify, I think Yzerman is a better GM than Sakic right now, but he did not win the cup as the Lightning GM thats all im saying

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Sakic has made some absolutely incredible deals. Yzerman has made some nice deals too like the McDonagh trade but he inherited a team with Stamkos and Hedman already there. And most of that team building was thru the draft which you can't give all the credit to the GM, the scouts are the ones who handle that. The deals that Tampa made last season to get them over the hump (Coleman, Goodrow) were done after Yzerman left. I'll go with Sakic on this one. I think Yzerman gets too much credit.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think it’s too early in the Avs window to make the call. Right now, you’d give the edge to Yzerman, but if the Avs actually won a cup in the next few years, it’d tip back towards Sakic.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Yzermans team still made the conference finals twice and the finals once on other years, Sakics team hasnt even made it past the second round and lost in round 1 twice. They've literally done nothing notable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad