Saginaw Spirit 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Assuming London wins today (which is a very safe bet), that'll about lock us out of first in the conference. Unfortunate but that hole we dug in October didn't help. Still going to be a strong regular season.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Not sure why today would lock us out of the conference...London has 3 games left, if they lose 1, we can win the conference because we hold the tiebreaker. Do I expect London to lose one of the last 3, no, but if we win our remaining games, we'll be pulling for Guelph to win in that final day of the season...our game is at 2p in Soo and the game in London is at 4p.

Still too many turnovers...I watched the highlights and I think every goal was on a bad giveaway, Lalonde didn't have a chance on them.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Not sure why today would lock us out of the conference...London has 3 games left, if they lose 1, we can win the conference because we hold the tiebreaker. Do I expect London to lose one of the last 3, no, but if we win our remaining games, we'll be pulling for Guelph to win in that final day of the season...our game is at 2p in Soo and the game in London is at 4p.

Still too many turnovers...I watched the highlights and I think every goal was on a bad giveaway, Lalonde didn't have a chance on them.
I just meant from a pragmatic standpoint. Me personally, I am not counting on London losing any of their remaining games. I think we're all going to be surprised if they do lose one.

Slowpace

Jan 8, 2018
I just meant from a pragmatic standpoint. Me personally, I am not counting on London losing any of their remaining games. I think we're all going to be surprised if they do lose one.
As Knights fans were surprised to see Spirit lose one. A Knights loss can easily happen, especially last game vs Guelph...as you well know, they had Saginaw beat til 5 seconds left on Friday night. Good team fighting for higher seeding til the end.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Really disappointing loss to Erie last night that is going to cost them 1st overall. A 2nd Round matchup with the Soo is inevitable for Saginaw now, which really stinks (was really hoping that would be a Soo/London matchup).

Anyway, we’ll see what happens but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a 2nd round exit on the horizon here now.

Reactions: RB76

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
As Knights fans were surprised to see Spirit lose one. A Knights loss can easily happen, especially last game vs Guelph...as you well know, they had Saginaw beat til 5 seconds left on Friday night. Good team fighting for higher seeding til the end.
Trouble is that for some reason Guelph has a 4-game week so by the time they get to London on Sunday, they're going to be pretty pooped.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Chatham was eliminated from their playoff run. Even if they don’t get ice time this week, will be good to practice with the older players. Carson Harmer and Stratford are still going.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Chasing position this week but also please just get out of the weekend with no major injuries or suspensions. I know Willis was out last weekend. Hope he's good to go at some point his week.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Agree Kingpin...the challenge is going to be that we are likely going into the Soo game with a chance at winning the conference so you have to make a decision. Lighten the lineup, rest guys and (sort of) concede the division (we of course could still win) or go for it when it may not matter.

What I don't want to see is a full lineup and then get smoked by Soo which sends a message for Round 2 (yes, I'm looking ahead, I don't plan on losing round 1).

There's also a high probability that Soo will be resting players that night too...if we win (or tie) Friday, we clinch the division and Soo will be locked into the 3rd spot so Schenkel and others may get a night off.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Helluva team u got. Very impressive. Love the pace u guys play with. Suffocating at times. Not sure I've seen a team whip it around the OZ better.

Gonna be a tough out. GL!

Reactions: Finster8

BThumme

Oct 2, 2023
I see there is parking lots across the street from arena...can anyone give me info...cost etc.??

There are parking lots at literally every corner next to the arena, including the official garage directly across the street.

The official garage is $6 us, the non official ones are around $5. The official garage is card only, not sure about the other lots.

Street parking is also free and not too hard to find.

Reactions: tjziel and bcspragu

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
50 wins! Not bad for a team who should have had the memorial cup moved on them. /s Now we wait
The person that created that thread is more than just a little off the beaten path. Probably the only reason it got any traction is hounds fans believe they are a deserving host. There are even some that still want to believe the hounds are a better team than Saginaw.
I was a doubter of Saginaw being able to build a legitimate contender until they managed to accumulate five as professional as players get in the OHL in Beck, Bloom, Christopolous, Hache, and Sapovaliv. Well done!

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The person that created that thread is more than just a little off the beaten path. Probably the only reason it got any traction is hounds fans believe they are a deserving host. There are even some that still want to believe the hounds are a better team than Saginaw.
I was a doubter of Saginaw being able to build a legitimate contender until they managed to accumulate five as professional as players get in the OHL in Beck, Bloom, Christopolous, Hache, and Sapovaliv. Well done!
Hammer meet nail! Good post dirty!

Reactions: dirty12

JRHockeyBUZZZ

Mar 28, 2024
Happy Playoff Gameday! 2nd Seeded & Memorial Cup Hosts Saginaw Spirit take on the 7th Seeded Owen Sound attack. Saginaw is heavily favored in this matchup. Saginaw is 2-0-0 For the season series while Owen Sound is 1-0-1 - With both games of the season series being played in the 2nd Half of the season. First game was played at the Dow Event Center on February 9th. Saginaw took this one 5-4 in Overtime. Carter George was excellent in goal making 47 Saves to secure the point for the road team. As well as Guindon who had 2 goals for the Bears. While Owen Beck had 2 goals including the game tying goal as well as an assist on the OT winner. Meanwhile the OT winner was scored by Parekh (PP) who also had one earlier in the game and a helper on Becks tying goal.

If Owen Sound is wanting to pull of the upset- They are going to need to get into a streak of well played games similar to what they were able to put together for a stretch of time in November, when they won 5 in a row and outscored opponents 27-5 in that stretch. Largely going to require consistent excellent play from George. Barlow, Guindon, Goure, Sedley going to be looked at as the leaders. Points of concern for Owen Sound- As of Late George' play has been average has a heavy workload in the back half of the season may have put him on fumes during the last little stretch for Owen Sound.

For the Saginaw Spirit- They have to continue to rely on their big dogs. Lead by draft eligible defenseman Zayne Parekh with 96 Points. Owen Beck who is looking to repeat as an OHL Champion. As well as 1st overall selection in the 2022 OHL Priority Selection Michael Misa who is coming off a 75 Point season. In goal a bit of a 2 Headed Monster- Andrew Oke played 41 games this season with a record of 29-10-1-0 .889 Sv% 2089 GAA- In counter CBJ Draft Pick and former Erie Otter Nolan Lalonde has played 36 Games with a record of 21-8-1-1 - Both goalies numbers are not eye popping both behind the ideal target of .900 Save%. However both have been solid all season for Saginaw and when the puck drops at 7:05 @ the Dow for Game 1- I would expect much of the same to continue.

My prediction for this series is Saginaw takes it in 5 games. (Owen Sound Wins one on the road)

Good luck to both teams and both fan bases!

Reactions: BThumme

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Saginaw puts up Parekh as their Red Tilson nominee. Didn’t know if they would pick him or Beck. Think it’s between Cowan, Goyette, or Romani.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Coaches poll came out. Western conference winners for the Spirit:

Sapovaliv-3rd smartest player, Best on Faceoffs, Best defensive forward

Parekh-Best playmaker, Best offensive Dman

Hache-3rd best shot blocker

Hay-3rd best PK man

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Coaches poll came out. Western conference winners for the Spirit:

Sapovaliv-3rd smartest player, Best on Faceoffs, Best defensive forward

Parekh-Best playmaker, Best offensive Dman

Hache-3rd best shot blocker

Hay-3rd best PK man
I'm surprised Beck didn't get more love for the faceoffs and defensive play, but the trade probably hurt him. Well deserved for Sapovaliv, he's indeed very smart.

Hay is a little puzzling, given his tremendous struggles on defense in general, but I guess he's much better on the PK.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I'm surprised Beck didn't get more love for the faceoffs and defensive play, but the trade probably hurt him. Well deserved for Sapovaliv, he's indeed very smart.

Hay is a little puzzling, given his tremendous struggles on defense in general, but I guess he's much better on the PK.
Don't think they'd play him on PK if they didn't think we was at least decent on defense.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Hay blocks a lot of shots...he did that against us last year with Flint and he's a mainstay on the penalty kill especially since he's good at faceoffs in the defensive zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad