Saginaw Spirit 2022-23 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
What's up with Jovanovich? He was so highly touted & I knew he got hurt but he hasn't been even talked about in forever. Poor kid.

Is he expected to be ready for camp or is he potentially done? Be a huge boost to your already pretty solid backend.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
What's up with Jovanovich? He was so highly touted & I knew he got hurt but he hasn't been even talked about in forever. Poor kid.

Is he expected to be ready for camp or is he potentially done? Be a huge boost to your already pretty solid backend.
Someone closer than me could prove me wrong but I wouldn’t expect him to play. Unfortunate that injuries have side lined him. Feel for the kid.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013

If he is not at camp this year, I don't think we'll ever see him. Whatever his injuries are, it's been multiple years to recover and it's not happening. If he IS at camp and can play to a high level, it's found money since we need depth at that position and we could look to upgrade Forgione who I just don't think has it back there.

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
If he is not at camp this year, I don't think we'll ever see him. Whatever his injuries are, it's been multiple years to recover and it's not happening. If he IS at camp and can play to a high level, it's found money since we need depth at that position and we could look to upgrade Forgione who I just don't think has it back there.
Jovanovich is not on the training camp roster that Spirit released today.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Well, roster for training camp is out and no Jovanovich...figured as much but was still hoping he'd be able to play and provide a role for the team. Can't remember previous years but it seems like a TON of players...maybe it's normal or covid years lightened them up but it will be a full locker room at Saginaw Bay.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Well, roster for training camp is out and no Jovanovich...figured as much but was still hoping he'd be able to play and provide a role for the team. Can't remember previous years but it seems like a TON of players...maybe it's normal or covid years lightened them up but it will be a full locker room at Saginaw Bay.

Codd is on there too. Interesting. Mancini is a lock. Just brought in Hache. Loukus is a proven guy. Maybe he’s around through pre season. Shows well for himself and gets a chance with another team?

Last edited:

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Who is Saginaw eyes this year? They have a boatload of picks to makes something happen. Are you guys set in goal?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Who is Saginaw eyes this year? They have a boatload of picks to makes something happen. Are you guys set in goal?
I trust Oke if you put a great team in front of him. However, I also wouldn't be surprised if they do bring in a goalie at some point. That probably isn't something that will be dealt with until Dec or so. Divicentiis is the big fish. If they want to upgrade, go all out.

Reactions: tjziel

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Heading up to Saginaw in November for the first time. We’ve never been so I am looking for places to stay, things to do, and where to eat. Any help is appreciated as we are excited to make the trip.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Heading up to Saginaw in November for the first time. We’ve never been so I am looking for places to stay, things to do, and where to eat. Any help is appreciated as we are excited to make the trip.
Thanks for making the trip up! Looking forward to having you in town!

Since this is your first time to the area, I'd honestly recommend staying south of town in Frankenmuth...it's one of the biggest tourist destinations in the entire state...lots of restaurants, hotels, shops, etc. That's where the teams will be staying for the Memorial Cup.

If you want to stay in Saginaw, the majority of hotels are in the Tittabawassee Road area off of I-675 north of the arena. There really isn't anything in the immediate vicinity of the arena and those hotels are no more than a 5-10min drive to the Dow. Parking is easy with surface lots or the parking ramp.

Saginaw is a total chain-restaurant town but we have all of the hits from steaks (Texas Roadhouse, Outback, Logans, etc) to your Chilis, Applebees, etc. Harveys is a nice local restaurant and has a really good menu but if you want to find some better restaurants, I would head north to Bay City (~20ish min) and they have some great restaurants down by the water.

Frankenmuth would be a great spot though and you'll have plenty to do and eat and you're about 15-20 min south which would also give you a head start on your trip home at the end of your visit.

If you have any questions as you're looking things up, just post them here and we'll be glad to help...enjoy your visit!

Reactions: Roadhog

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Thanks for making the trip up! Looking forward to having you in town!

Since this is your first time to the area, I'd honestly recommend staying south of town in Frankenmuth...it's one of the biggest tourist destinations in the entire state...lots of restaurants, hotels, shops, etc. That's where the teams will be staying for the Memorial Cup.

If you want to stay in Saginaw, the majority of hotels are in the Tittabawassee Road area off of I-675 north of the arena. There really isn't anything in the immediate vicinity of the arena and those hotels are no more than a 5-10min drive to the Dow. Parking is easy with surface lots or the parking ramp.

Saginaw is a total chain-restaurant town but we have all of the hits from steaks (Texas Roadhouse, Outback, Logans, etc) to your Chilis, Applebees, etc. Harveys is a nice local restaurant and has a really good menu but if you want to find some better restaurants, I would head north to Bay City (~20ish min) and they have some great restaurants down by the water.

Frankenmuth would be a great spot though and you'll have plenty to do and eat and you're about 15-20 min south which would also give you a head start on your trip home at the end of your visit.

If you have any questions as you're looking things up, just post them here and we'll be glad to help...enjoy your visit!
Appreciate your response! We are making the 3 games in 4 days trip. Being from Erie, I’m not quite sure why we have waited so long to make the Saginaw/Flint trip. Usually we are playing in Michigan during the snow which makes travel harder. I will for sure take a look on the map to your suggestions. I never would’ve known about Frankenmuth so thank you for that!

61hawks

Oct 8, 2021
FFFE2905-4690-4F9A-AE3A-3B0A9793E84D.png

I think they still have this deal in Saginaw. I have used it a couple of times. I’m not sure if any of the participating hotels are in Frankenmuth but it’s possible. Up to 4 tickets is a great deal.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Here is the link for that package...doesn't look like any in the Frankenmuth area but many in the Tittabawassee Road area that would be my second choice to stay. Especially if you're doing Flint as well, I'd still recommend staying in Frankenmuth but this is a great deal since these tix are $19 each.

Reactions: Roadhog

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Here is the link for that package...doesn't look like any in the Frankenmuth area but many in the Tittabawassee Road area that would be my second choice to stay. Especially if you're doing Flint as well, I'd still recommend staying in Frankenmuth but this is a great deal since these tix are $19 each.

Thank you for this! I will look into it. Our owner will sometimes comp tickets for fans at away games, so I’m trying to reach out first and then pay if not. Regardless we are making the trip and excited about it!

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Our owner will sometimes comp tickets for fans at away games, so I’m trying to reach out first and then pay if not.
Wow that's pretty cool 😎 and he makes himself accessible to the fans or do you just go thru the teams offices? Enjoy the roadtrip sounds like a nice little reprieve from life's hectic schedule we all face now adays!

Reactions: OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Wow that's pretty cool 😎 and he makes himself accessible to the fans or do you just go thru the teams offices? Enjoy the roadtrip sounds like a nice little reprieve from life's hectic schedule we all face now adays!
He’s at our home games so I usually watch him when he goes down the tunnel before warm ups. He has a house here in Erie and a house in Canada. When we are away, he’s always there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad