Saginaw Spirit 2022-23 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
NVM Day played 5 years in the O. Maybe it was someone else but I thought the wording was 4 years in the CHL before AHL eligibility. Maybe the lost covid year doesnt count as a year of service. Who knows
Wouldn't it be nice if the CHL/OHL gave us access to the " rules"??? They give us access to the rules on how to play the game but not the rules surrounding the day to day operations. It is usually around 50% of the discussion on these threads, on what is the rule? No idea why this is such a big secret?!?! Carry on.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
NVM Day played 5 years in the O. Maybe it was someone else but I thought the wording was 4 years in the CHL before AHL eligibility. Maybe the lost covid year doesnt count as a year of service. Who knows
It is four years, and the COVID year counts. I believe the issue is 25 games including playoffs is needed to count as a season played. The CHL/NHL likely decide games missed due to injury while on the Windsor roster count for the game(s) short of 25.

Reactions: bcspragu

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Correct. He played 24 total last season so is one game short of the 25 needed to qualify. If an exception is made, it robs WSR of the assets they’d acquire. No easy answers as someone’s interests will be harmed no matter the decision.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Correct. He played 24 total last season so is one game short of the 25 needed to qualify. If an exception is made, it robs WSR of the assets they’d acquire. No easy answers as someone’s interests will be harmed no matter the decision.

I mean the CHL allowed players to play in the AHL after the covid year if they had played before. Screwed Saginaw out of picks they could have gotten flipping perfetti and a few other teams. I think the NHL threw some cash at the teams. Im guessing that will happen here. League lets Wright play in the AHL and the Kraken pays off Windsor

Reactions: dirty12

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
WSR lost Foudy early to the AHL due to that exemption as well. Numerous teams in the same boat then. This one harms only one team.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Don’t get me wrong, I see both sides and Wright deserves to move on. No right answer here but it is a developmental league and the answer always needs to be doing right for the player. And the Spits never expected to get him back but for the misfortune of getting swept in round one. But…

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Youre right its a developmental league. One Wright is frankly to good to play in another season. If Windsor drags thier feet willfully hoping a player is sent back and potentially stunting his professional development because of potential draft picks they deserve to have Wrights agency refuse to send other players there.

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
I mean the CHL allowed players to play in the AHL after the covid year if they had played before. Screwed Saginaw out of picks they could have gotten flipping perfetti and a few other teams. I think the NHL threw some cash at the teams. Im guessing that will happen here. League lets Wright play in the AHL and the Kraken pays off Windsor
I think I know for. fact.. teams were paid to have fouday, forester, sebrango etc graduate early

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Formerly was a video coach for the Spirit so should be familiar with the system. Spent the past couple season as Carolina's head coach in the FPHL. Got them to the league finals. Maybe a good candidate if/when Lazary gets a pro offer.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Seems like a good addition to the team. Obviously Lazary is the constant on the bench but 2 new assistants for the team to get used to this year...Grimes has a ton of experience in the CHL and Rutledge obviously has some experience with Lazary so hopefully it will be a cohesive unit and the team will learn a lot.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Mid August and I suspect we will see a move or two here before September. Get a guy or two in for camp before preseason. Looking at the pick database, here are the teams that are in serious need of picks going forward: Erie, Kitchener, North Bay, Ottawa, Petes, Windsor, and Sarnia. Based on that, here are some folks we could be targeting soon. Note that I’m leaving out some guys that would be more January moves.

Erie- Fimis, Sova

Kitchener- Brzustewicz, Martin (OA)

North Bay- DiVincentiis, Mathurin, One of their OA’s maybe Zito?

Ottawa- Mayich, Stonehouse

Petes- Mayer (OA), McCoy, Simpson (OA)

Sarnia- ?

Windsor- Abraham, Maillet (OA), Christopoulos (OA)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Mid August and I suspect we will see a move or two here before September. Get a guy or two in for camp before preseason. Looking at the pick database, here are the teams that are in serious need of picks going forward: Erie, Kitchener, North Bay, Ottawa, Petes, Windsor, and Sarnia. Based on that, here are some folks we could be targeting soon. Note that I’m leaving out some guys that would be more January moves.

Erie- Fimis, Sova

Kitchener- Brzustewicz, Martin (OA)

North Bay- DiVincentiis, Mathurin, One of their OA’s maybe Zito?

Ottawa- Mayich, Stonehouse

Petes- Mayer (OA), McCoy, Simpson (OA)

Sarnia- ?

Windsor- Abraham, Maillet (OA), Christopoulos (OA)
Some, maybe all of these players; Abraham, Stonehouse, Mathurin, McCoy, Fimis, Sova will be in the league two more seasons. What would Saginaw offer to pry them away from their current teams pre-season?
What are the positions you think Saginaw wishes to add to?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Some, maybe all of these players; Abraham, Stonehouse, Mathurin, McCoy, Fimis, Sova will be in the league two more seasons. What would Saginaw offer to pry them away from their current teams pre-season?
What are the positions you think Saginaw wishes to add to?
Right away: they need a defenseman and likely should add a quality OA F.
By the end of the year: Add another depth F, maybe they look at G in Dec/Jan.

Honestly hosting and winning the Memorial Cup has been goal one since Goslin got on the board of governors. I'm sure he's made it clear to Drinkell to do anything needed to make the lineup as good as possible.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Right away: they need a defenseman and likely should add a quality OA F.
By the end of the year: Add another depth F, maybe they look at G in Dec/Jan.

Honestly hosting and winning the Memorial Cup has been goal one since Goslin got on the board of governors. I'm sure he's made it clear to Drinkell to do anything needed to make the lineup as good as possible.
There seems to be enough OA wingers to go around. Good OA centres might be harder to come by pre-season; decent chance of Zito, maybe Maillet, Frasca …?

Last edited:

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
Man I was not hoping Hache would be one of the OA's traded.

Please send Misa our way next year - we are good trading partners :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad