Saginaw Spirit 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Pops, if that is the actual case, then the OHL needs to come out and admit and address it. Enough of this secrecy and inconsistency, or have the OHL higher-ups run away with Trueblue!

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I don't think this is an Ontario thing, more of a US/Canada border thing.
But Erie goes in and out without any issues, Kitchener obviously had no issues going to Flint and coming back to play in Canada the next night, so what's the huge issue?

How can some teams come and go just fine and others just cancel?

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Pops, if that is the case, then why doesn't the OHL come out and make a clear statement about it. Instead, we are left with secrecy and inconsistency. Perhaps the OHL brain trust has run off with PM Truedoo!

ohl16

Jun 27, 2016
Add it to the list of things we wish the OHL was more forthcoming about.
For. REAL. Some things, I completely understand why they’re not forthcoming. Some things I can’t understand why they’re just not more transparent with. Some times it’s pretty clear they’re covering things up. OttersFan’s post above is exactly the point I’m trying to make and it certainly seems like one of the latter two. I could see an honest excuse about border issues but that facade fell when Kitchener crossed the border. They did it without Cajan too. Apparently because of Visa issues but I’m sure they would have had a better game if they had him in net.

Reactions: swoopster

ohl16

Jun 27, 2016
By the way, welcome to the all-new Saginaw Spirit/Disgruntled American Fans Border Crossing Complaint Thread. Sorry, Spirit Fans.

Reactions: three dog night

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
By the way, welcome to the all-new Saginaw Spirit/Disgruntled American Fans Border Crossing Complaint Thread. Sorry, Spirit Fans.

By the way, what happens if either Flint or Saginaw goes into COVID protocol?

The disgruntled America Fans Border crossing complaint then just ain't going to cut it.

Sorry, OHL fans you deserve better.

Reactions: OttersFan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This. Erie was supposed to play Hamilton and Windsor this weekend. Both canceled early in the week yet still played their other games.

Ontario is soft and they should be allowed to play. Of course Saginaw, Flint, and Erie are all affected which hurts their development. We can only play each other so many times.

actually ON is a bit tough; which helps explain the fraction of cases compared to many states

Reactions: three dog night

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Somebody would think that the Biden Administration was running the OHL. Do that have a Pasaki clone pumping out "we are transparent" and ..."good question, we will circle back on it"!

ohl16 said
"For. REAL. Some things, I completely understand why they’re not forthcoming. Some things I can’t understand why they’re just not more transparent with. Some times it’s pretty clear they’re covering things up. OttersFan’s post above is exactly the point I’m trying to make and it certainly seems like one of the latter two. I could see an honest excuse about border issues but that facade fell when Kitchener crossed the border. They did it without Cajan too. Apparently because of Visa issues but I’m sure they would have had a better game if they had him in net."

ottersfan said
"But Erie goes in and out without any issues, Kitchener obviously had no issues going to Flint and coming back to play in Canada the next night, so what's the huge issue?

How can some teams come and go just fine and others just cancel?"​

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Somebody would think that the Biden Administration was running the OHL. Do that have a Pasaki clone pumping out "we are transparent" and ..."good question, we will circle back on it"!

ohl16 said
"For. REAL. Some things, I completely understand why they’re not forthcoming. Some things I can’t understand why they’re just not more transparent with. Some times it’s pretty clear they’re covering things up. OttersFan’s post above is exactly the point I’m trying to make and it certainly seems like one of the latter two. I could see an honest excuse about border issues but that facade fell when Kitchener crossed the border. They did it without Cajan too. Apparently because of Visa issues but I’m sure they would have had a better game if they had him in net."

ottersfan said
"But Erie goes in and out without any issues, Kitchener obviously had no issues going to Flint and coming back to play in Canada the next night, so what's the huge issue?

How can some teams come and go just fine and others just cancel?"​

chill out. It’s not a conspiracy.

Reactions: twinsdad

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Not that it matters to you, but I've never claimed conspiracy, its you, with all the answers... and yet you can not answer what other posters here have asked. Do you speak on behaf of the OHL...?

Am I tying up this thread? Perhaps you would like to recap the nteenth game with the Firebirds...have at it...

Last edited:

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
There is no conspiracy and it's the border crossing rules (that are set by each country) that are dictating whether teams can come across or not.

The players (who have not already tested positive) HAVE to test a day or two before crossing the border. If a number of them test positive, you have a last-minute cancellation just because of the how close you have to test to the game time. I don't know if there's a league rule for how many have to be out before cancelling but the Spirit had two in COVID protocols because of the road trip to the Soo and then they returned yesterday at Flint. Once they test positive, they don't need to test anymore for 90 days for sure and it could be 180 days. So, eventually the majority of these kids will have a positive test to present at the border and we'll be able to cross back and forth freely.

This year will continue to be a cluster for another week or two (I'm guessing) until things stabilize and we can finish the season in a positive way. What remains to be seen is if we have to go through all of this again next year due to restrictions on border crossings.

It's hard...we're talking about a low-risk group of people that are vaccinated...I'm sure most of the positive cases are asymptomatic but because they're crossing the border, they have to test (seemingly) healthy people. I'm sick of playing Flint like the rest of you but I'd rather watch 30 games against Flint than have a season with no hockey.

Reactions: OttersFan

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
But Erie goes in and out without any issues, Kitchener obviously had no issues going to Flint and coming back to play in Canada the next night, so what's the huge issue?

How can some teams come and go just fine and others just cancel?
Are any teams coming into the US? I thought teams weren’t coming to the US because they did not want to get stuck there.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I wonder if it depends on how many of their players have already tested positive and have the 180 day exemption from testing.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Ahh. .. is there a league rule in place as to how this is handled... or is it up to the individual team... who checks on its validity? These are the points that the OHL hasn't stipulated... and I continue to wonder.

If a player tests positive, knowing that you can get the virus again, then why is that player "exempt" from testing for the next 180 days? It makes no sense.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
After these posts, kinda fitting that the Spirit are the next team to be placed in covid protocol.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
After these posts, kinda fitting that the Spirit are the next team to be placed in covid protocol.

They arent really in protocol though. They are playing flint tomorrow night at home. They just cant get into Canada.

I'm guessing they had players test positive less than 14 days ago and more than 5 days ago and therefore cant go into Canada but can play in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad