Saginaw Spirit 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I asked this on our Flint thread as well. Still trying to figure this all out. If a player signs a OHL Contract with Flint (2 players did today), does this mean they are more than likely to make the team, or could they still be assigned back to their previous junior team for more seasoning? Thank you in advance.

Teams are permitted to register a maximum of four 16 year old players selected in the OHL Priority Selection. Those 16 year old players that are allowed to be signed are the first two 16 year old players selected and a maximum addition of two 16 year old wild carded players in any round of the OHL Priority Selection. All other 16-year-old players selected are eligible to be called up as an “affiliated player†or “floating affiliate player†for a maximum of 10 games or for any OHL regular season or playoff games when such player’s team has been eliminated from competition for that season.

Hope this helps.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
What Willy said is exactly correct. The guys that are signed will 99% of the time make the roster on opening day with the main exception being goalies considering you usually only carry 2 at a time. If players are signed or even if they aren't and don't make the roster then they often play down a level on the OJHL or the GOJHL. For example: Goalie Joseph Murdaca was signed last year but played a year down in the GOJHL.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The goalie Flint signed today was their third selection overall (McLeod is highly likely to be a defective player). Does that change anything?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
The goalie Flint signed today was their third selection overall (McLeod is highly likely to be a defective player). Does that change anything?

Looking at the depth chart and assuming Ned is traded at some point for picks, I'd guess (again just an educated guess) that the goalie will play a year down.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
With the Import Draft later this month do you see the Spirit making a selection or keeping the two players they currently have?

bcspirit

Jan 10, 2013
North America
Big Jim is going to run the import draft for the Spirit, so one would believe they plan on using their first pick since it cannot be traded. But I would be okay with keeping the two we have Kodola and Arty are pretty talented players.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
By all accounts Will is the perfect guy to help bring along Middleton, Crawford, Stewart and Proner. As I understand it the cast is off and he's rehabbing the injury at the moment. He's got a few months. Don't know the time table for recovery of a broken arm. Let's hope he's ready by then. Price seems right for a guy of his quality.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Teams are permitted to register a maximum of four 16 year old players selected in the OHL Priority Selection. Those 16 year old players that are allowed to be signed are the first two 16 year old players selected and a maximum addition of two 16 year old wild carded players in any round of the OHL Priority Selection. All other 16-year-old players selected are eligible to be called up as an “affiliated player†or “floating affiliate player†for a maximum of 10 games or for any OHL regular season or playoff games when such player’s team has been eliminated from competition for that season.

Hope this helps.

I don't think this is actually correct.

An OHL team can sign as many rookies as they choose, but can only play 4 at most in any game.

I may be wrong.

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
I don't think this is actually correct.

An OHL team can sign as many rookies as they choose, but can only play 4 at most in any game.

I may be wrong.

100 percent correct. You can sign as many as you want, limited to how many can actually play the 4 player limit. Im sure you'll see teams have 5/6 rookies signed and play this year due to the U17s and other injuries.

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
100 percent correct. You can sign as many as you want, limited to how many can actually play the 4 player limit. Im sure you'll see teams have 5/6 rookies signed and play this year due to the U17s and other injuries.

Thanks chewerjones and goodtimes for the clarification. I was close!!

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
By all accounts Will is the perfect guy to help bring along Middleton, Crawford, Stewart and Proner. As I understand it the cast is off and he's rehabbing the injury at the moment. He's got a few months. Don't know the time table for recovery of a broken arm. Let's hope he's ready by then. Price seems right for a guy of his quality.

Wonder if the second and fourth round picks are Saginaw's or from a previous trade?

Radzy

Aug 28, 2012
Wonder if the second and fourth round picks are Saginaw's or from a previous trade?

OHL Website says that it is a 15th rd pick in 2016 with conditions so if Oshawa gets the 15th rd pick than its Saginaws own pick

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
OHL Website says that it is a 15th rd pick in 2016 with conditions so if Oshawa gets the 15th rd pick than its Saginaws own pick

Well yes the 15th is ours but what we're unsure of are the 2nd and 4th that the 15th will become as soon as Will suits up for the Spirit.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
“@SpiritHockey: #SpiritNation-Its time to renew the rivalry, Join us for #OHLOpeningWeek as we host the @FlintFirebirds #SaveTheDate"

It's now offical. Saginaw will host the Firebirds on opening night September 24th.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

willy29

Aug 30, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Hockey Canada released their rosters for the summer showcase for the U20, U18, and U17 teams and Saginaw is well represented.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/2015-POE-National-Teams-Summer-Showcase-Rosters

Dylan Sadowy (U20), Mitchell Stephens (U20), Tye Felhaber (U18), Keaton Middleton (U18), Brendan Bonello (U17), Robert Proner (U17), and Brady Gilmour (U17) all get invites.

Congrats gentlemen.

Great to see some Spirit talent being selected for Team Canada program camps. This can only help the team.

Best of luck to all at the summer camps.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
The draft begins tongiht! Don't think we see any current Spirit players taken in the first but it will be interesting to see who takes Kyle Connor tonight. However unlikely he is to report, being taken in the first round raises his chances of coming up greatly.

As far as current players go, it might play out like this IMO:

Stephens-late 2nd/early 3rd
Artemov-mid 5th/6th/7th
Crawford-6th/7th
Barwell-borderline

Good luck to all Spirit draft elligibles though. And remember that even if you aren't drafted, it is not the only path to the show. The real work starts after the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad