Waived: Sad Day: Brian McGrattan Waived

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

This is the most bummed I have ever been about someone being demoted.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

I'm torn. I'll miss the guy, but at the same time, he's always been great with the younger guys, and he's a leader. Having someone like him playing with the prospects is never a bad thing. I'll always remember the salute though, especially at the start of last season, when they introduced the team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Nice. He'll be a great mentor/veteran for that group. Does this mean they can get rid of Trevor Gillies now? Or has he even been playing?
Gillies has played in only 11 games so far, only 1 since Christmas, 7 were in November when we had most the the ADK roster in Calgary.

Aug 3, 2010

Wonder if they're grooming him for a coaching position?

Probably not coaching, specifically, but very likely "special assistant to player development" role, similar to Conroy's initial front office position with the GM role.

Best of luck to him. Calgary's locker room and the community is a little less bright without his personality but we know that he will definitely be a great leader for the young players in Adirondack.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Probably not coaching, specifically, but very likely "special assistant to player development" role, similar to Conroy's initial front office position with the GM role.

Best of luck to him. Calgary's locker room and the community is a little less bright without his personality but we know that he will definitely be a great leader for the young players in Adirondack.
I dunno, could be coaching. The 3rd/4th line guys always seem to make the best coaches because they need the best work ethic and fundamentals to make it to the NHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Me to buddy, for a number of reasons. The game has changed, but more than anything though I am sad for Grats. This is a guy that has conquered demons in his life, which I can relate to personally and he's just a tremendous a man and teammate. I get it, I don't blame the Flames, but this makes me want to vomit, I'm extremely saddened by this.

Ashera

Bärtschi Fan~!!
Nov 16, 2013
Airdrie
Met Brian outside the Unicorn last year, class act, was willing to wait as I tried to wake my father (a shift worker) who was absolutely over the moon. Thanks Brian, you made not just my day.. but my dad's day -- you are amazing and you always have a smile on for us fans.

He also didn't preach, but gave me solid advice, on my own struggles with alcohol. You are a champ.

Brian, Calgary loves you.. we hope you never, ever leave.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Me to buddy, for a number of reasons. The game has changed, but more than anything though I am sad for Grats. This is a guy that has conquered demons in his life, which I can relate to personally and he's just a tremendous a man and teammate. I get it, I don't blame the Flames, but this makes me want to vomit, I'm extremely saddened by this.

Yeah but there are some bright sides here for him.

Still makes full NHL salary. Gets to be a leader in ADK. Likely has a future with the Flames front office.

Future is still bright for the guy!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah but there are some bright sides here for him.

Still makes full NHL salary. Gets to be a leader in ADK. Likely has a future with the Flames front office.

Future is still bright for the guy!

No you're right, but I'm still saddened nonetheless. It's like seeing your favourite gladiator hang up his gear. And like you said at least he still gets to play a great game, but everyone's dream is to play in the NHL. He's such an amazing guy, he loves his job so much, he's so passionate about it, everyone in that dressing room respects him, and it's the end of an era it appears in the league which I will miss. It's not all doom and gloom, but I'm really going to miss seeing Grats out there.

Not to sound corny, but I really hope the fans of Calgary will get one last chance to give him a final salute.

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
If we end up solidly out of the playoff race and bring up some youngsters like last year i wouldnt be surprised to see him back up here as well for a few games.

Our mini-Flames look geared for a solid playoff run though, and having Grats in the room for that could be invaluble in terms of keeping things even keeled.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I would love to let McGrattan play the last game of the season if we are out of a playoff spot.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Sad, sad, sad day for the enforcers. Saw that while watching a heartbreaking loss the other night.

Sounds like a great guy off the ice. My condolences from the Blues. Hopefully he gets to make a heartwarming last game so the fans can pay their respects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad