GDT: Sacramento Kings @ San Jose Sharks 7:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
People are only happy with Marleau when he is scoring goals. Even though they should know by now that goal-scoring is streaky and inconsistent. Everything else is irrelevant to them. A big part of why Burns is able to keep his scoring pace up is because he's not out there against Kopitar most of the time on most nights. People should be happy he's getting his chances especially since they moved Havlat down to his line. They will bury them eventually. Just have to be patient which I know is difficult for people. lol

nope it can't be that he has only put up 14 points in his last 37 games. this season in a full season he would be on pace for 53 points his 2nd worst season in the league.

marleau if he is not scoring, he is not producing on the score sheet. he doesn't get paid 6.9 million dollars to do the pk, defensive game. he gets paid the big bucks because he is an offensive threat (which he has not been for the sharks this season since game #7).

and defensively i know its not a good stat, but it is pretty telling when all other top 6 forwards on the team is in the +'s or better and marleau is way down the list at 4th worst on the team at -6.

for top 6 forwards, the 2nd worst forward is pavelski at +2.

but i'm sure you or sjeasy will come back with oh but its his dutie on the ice that stops him from getting points.

sjshrky27

Jan 15, 2007
CA
Just watched the replay of Torres SO goal. Love the expressions from the bench. JT with the fist pump, TJ giving Tmac a laughing smerk, Pavs laughing his ass off, Woodcroft glancing at TMac almost busting up.

Classic.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
nope it can't be that he has only put up 14 points in his last 37 games. this season in a full season he would be on pace for 53 points his 2nd worst season in the league.

marleau if he is not scoring, he is not producing on the score sheet. he doesn't get paid 6.9 million dollars to do the pk, defensive game. he gets paid the big bucks because he is an offensive threat (which he has not been for the sharks this season since game #7).

and defensively i know its not a good stat, but it is pretty telling when all other top 6 forwards on the team is in the +'s or better and marleau is way down the list at 4th worst on the team at -6.

but i'm sure you or sjeasy will come back with oh but its his dutie on the ice that stops him from getting points.

Again, shrugging off the entirety of his game because his offensive statistics aren't measuring up to your expectations. Doesn't matter that he's going up against the best the other team's got and that hampers offense nor does it matter that until they lined up Havlat with them just recently, his line had no play-makers on it. Doesn't matter that he's still seeing more ice time than the other forwards.

People need to stop pretending that just because the offense isn't there, and there are plenty of valid reasons for that, doesn't mean he's been useless. I think the coaches fully understand that they're sacrificing the offense Marleau can bring in the right situation to enhance the other guys and their production.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Sadly that was one of the best games I've seen Hannan play in the last few years, and the best it can be described is 'he didn't screw up too bad'. I noticed him a couple times when he was totally unable to keep up with the man he was covering because of his skating, and positively when he took a pretty good shot on net, and broke up a couple of small plays. Just don't expect that from him every night, i've watched him play quite a few games on other jersey's recently and he's been a total pylon nightly.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Mr Positive.

I didn't see it. He was better than the crap he's been the last few years, but that's a pretty low bar to rate someone on.

What makes you say that?

Because instead of being a total disaster he only caused minor heart attacks each time he was out there.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
He cut off several plays behind the net, made a few nice tape-to-tape outlets and was steady the whole game.

I am far more worried about Boyle in the d-zone.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

****** on-ice shooting percentage is ****ing up his points at evens.

6.15 on-ice shooting. Since game 6, which you've chosen to be an arbitrary cut-off time since apparently his first 5 games don't count for anything, he has 9 points in 37 games. Adjust for that unlucky shooting and you have 12 points at evens.

In the same amount of time, Joe Thornton has 13 point at evens with an inflated shooting percentage of 8.78%. Regress that to 8.5% (Joe is proven to have a slight sustainable positive effect on his teammates' shooting) and Joe's got 12 points since game 6 at evens.

The difference in Joe and Patty's point totals, when luck is taken into account? PP points. JT racks up the PP points.

But at evens? Marleau leads forwards in SF/60. He's second among forwards in SA/60. So don't give me this "not a threat" crap.

That's utter ********. He's been an offensive threat. He leads the team in shots on goal.

Jeez, maybe his horrendously unlucky 962 PDO has something to do with that plus-minus stat. What a coincidence, Pavelski has the second worst PDO of top-6 forwards, at a pretty normal 993.

You have an agenda, and you don't even argue it well.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
People want to keep ripping Marleau on the back-check. Kopitar had the position on him. That was the only thing he could do. I don't know what part of that people don't get. The whole 'keep skating' angle doesn't work when space is limited and the guy is directly in front of you. He did what he could to keep Kopitar from doing what he wanted. Boyle was too busy trying to kick the puck instead of tying up Brown's stick and that was the part that was weak on that goal.

Kopitar only had position in the o-zone because Marleau didn't appear to skate all out up the ice and eliminate the passing lane. He probably didn't expect Boyle to vapor lock and allow the pass unchallenged, but not a strong play by either player.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Kopitar only had position in the o-zone because Marleau didn't appear to skate all out up the ice and eliminate the passing lane. He probably didn't expect Boyle to vapor lock and allow the pass unchallenged, but not a strong play by either player.

Holy ****, did you not watch the play? Marleau skates all the way back from the offensive goal-line, despite being on the tail-end of a long shift, while Couture isn't fast enough to make it back. Watch the goal again, you'll notice that he skates 2 times as fast as Couture or Vlasic. You have no idea what "all out" means.

http://video.sharks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,639&event=S.J447&lang=en

I can't believe people blame Marleau for that. He's literally the only one that plays defense on that play.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Holy ****, did you not watch the play? Marleau skates all the way back from the offensive goal-line, despite being on the tail-end of a long shift, while Couture isn't fast enough to make it back. Watch the goal again, you'll notice that he skates 2 times as fast as Couture or Vlasic. You have no idea what "all out" means.

http://video.sharks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,639&event=S.J447&lang=en

I can't believe people blame Marleau for that. He's literally the only one that plays defense on that play.

I harp on Marleau as much as anyone but that goal was in no way shape or form on him. Vlasic and Cooch got caught behind the net and Patty shifted over to Kopitar, skated hard the whole way back, and disrupted him enough to help prevent him from scoring. That play should've been blown dead anyway when Niemi covered the puck.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

I watched the play and then watched the replay a few times. What Couture or Vlasic did or didn't do has no bearing on Marleau not being in position to take away the passing lane to the man he is covering. Even though Marleau closed on Kopitar up the ice, it doesn't look like he tried to gain that last stride until after the pass made it through Boyle. He did what he could at that point by tying up Kopitar, it is just my opinion that little extra push should have come before rather than after the pass was made.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Sadly that was one of the best games I've seen Hannan play in the last few years, and the best it can be described is 'he didn't screw up too bad'. I noticed him a couple times when he was totally unable to keep up with the man he was covering because of his skating, and positively when he took a pretty good shot on net, and broke up a couple of small plays. Just don't expect that from him every night, i've watched him play quite a few games on other jersey's recently and he's been a total pylon nightly.

Maybe being on a contender has woken him up somewhat?

He was passing the puck well last night and was a contributor on the 2nd SJ goal...

I haven't been very happy with Irwin's play. I'd prefer to see Tennyson in Irwin's place but can live with Hannan over him.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Again, shrugging off the entirety of his game because his offensive statistics aren't measuring up to your expectations. Doesn't matter that he's going up against the best the other team's got and that hampers offense nor does it matter that until they lined up Havlat with them just recently, his line had no play-makers on it. Doesn't matter that he's still seeing more ice time than the other forwards.

People need to stop pretending that just because the offense isn't there, and there are plenty of valid reasons for that, doesn't mean he's been useless. I think the coaches fully understand that they're sacrificing the offense Marleau can bring in the right situation to enhance the other guys and their production.

What I like about Marleau is that when he isn't scoring, he's still contributing. Good defensively, using his speed, and what not.

If you hold Marleau to the standard of a high-end first-line player, you can't be disappointed in his overall play. If you hold Marleau to the standard of a franchise/elite player, then your expectations are just unrealistic.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
All I know is it looked a lot different at the tank where you could see the whole play. The Marleau fanboy who sits behind me (a friend of mine :)) even complained. I tease him when Marleau makes a lazy or crappy play by turning around sucking my thumb. This time I turned around and he was sucking his thumb. Marleau didn't make an effort until it was too late and it was pretty obvious at the tank.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
That's utter ********. He's been an offensive threat. He leads the team in shots on goal.

I wanted to note that while this may be true, I don't think Patty is quite the goal scorer he was last year. It seems like he's been regressing a bit shooting wise; he used to be better in tight and a little more accurate. I don't think his shot has lost the power, but I think he's lost a bit of the quickness and accuracy of his shot.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Oh, and several people I spoke with said they heard the whistle before that puck went in the net. I never heard a whistle, but that's not unusual.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
I was not impressed with Hannan last night. He made some absolutely bone headed plays stepping up at the blue line that led to dangerous odd man rushes, and screened Niemi on at least 3 or 4 shots with a Kings player rushing into the zone that he didn't even get a stick on.

He might be fine when things are settled in our defensive zone, but he is just terrible in transition.

Bench him for Irwin.

That second goal looked unbelievable at the tank. How do you not blow the whistle on a delayed call? Did the TV replay show it any clearer? It looked like Niemi and a Sharks defenseman got a touch on the puck.

Last edited:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I wanted to note that while this may be true, I don't think Patty is quite the goal scorer he was last year. It seems like he's been regressing a bit shooting wise; he used to be better in tight and a little more accurate. I don't think his shot has lost the power, but I think he's lost a bit of the quickness and accuracy of his shot.

I actually agree with Jux here, I think we'll find out he's injured. Wrist/Shoulder/Elbow or something. He just seems totally 'off'. He's in the right spots and getting glorious chances he's just wiffing and his accuracy is terrible (which is normally his strong suit).

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I watched the play and then watched the replay a few times. What Couture or Vlasic did or didn't do has no bearing on Marleau not being in position to take away the passing lane to the man he is covering. Even though Marleau closed on Kopitar up the ice, it doesn't look like he tried to gain that last stride until after the pass made it through Boyle. He did what he could at that point by tying up Kopitar, it is just my opinion that little extra push should have come before rather than after the pass was made.

He was dead tired after a long shift and a race end to end. You give Couture and Vlasic a pass even though they were so bad on the play that they weren't even in it. If Marleau had done what Couture did, he'd get absolutely blasted for being so far behind the play even though he was the high man and had the center's responsibility. Marleau absolutely bails out Couture, Vlasic, and Boyle, and the Sharks fanbase blames him. So very typical.

I actually agree with Jux here, I think we'll find out he's injured. Wrist/Shoulder/Elbow or something. He just seems totally 'off'. He's in the right spots and getting glorious chances he's just wiffing and his accuracy is terrible (which is normally his strong suit).

Marleau's shot is quick and accurate as ever. It's the frequency that's weird. He missed, completely fanned, on like 3 or 4 shots last night that he usually doesn't miss. It's just really odd.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
not that i agree with any of the marleau bashing, but my wife was at the game and i guess she made friends with this older lady next to her and she was calling marleau lazy lmaooo

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
not that i agree with any of the marleau bashing, but my wife was at the game and i guess she made friends with this older lady next to her and she was calling marleau lazy lmaooo

:laugh: Confirmation bias at it's finest. I have no idea how Marleau got this 'lazy' schtick, it's ridiculous.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
:laugh: Confirmation bias at it's finest. I have no idea how Marleau got this 'lazy' schtick, it's ridiculous.

pretty much.

i will say about marleau that ive seen him turn it on before, and its night and day from what i see consistently. and im not talking about scoring goals. hes put on bursts of speed before that just left me hanging my mouth open. obviously he cant do that all game or at the end of a long shift, but i think thats where the stigma comes from. the players that people think can do everything but dont get the most hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad