GDT: Sacramento Kings @ San Jose Sharks 7:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The good: Gali and Burns were awesome tonight. The D and Niemi played a solid game.

The bad: Thornton had another weak game and added face-offs to his woes. Marleau's backchecking on that second goal was weak.

People want to keep ripping Marleau on the back-check. Kopitar had the position on him. That was the only thing he could do. I don't know what part of that people don't get. The whole 'keep skating' angle doesn't work when space is limited and the guy is directly in front of you. He did what he could to keep Kopitar from doing what he wanted. Boyle was too busy trying to kick the puck instead of tying up Brown's stick and that was the part that was weak on that goal.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Patty was coasting on that back check from the angle I saw. Looked like a poor effort to me.

Gali had a ton of chances, his play has improved tremendously this year.

Burish looked bad tonight. I want to see Sheppard in his place.

Both teams (especially the sharks) were putting a ton of passes into the defenders skates. It was maddening!

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Patty was coasting on that back check from the angle I saw. Looked like a poor effort to me.

Gali had a ton of chances, his play has improved tremendously this year.

Burish looked bad tonight. I want to see Sheppard in his place.

Both teams (especially the sharks) were putting a ton of passes into the defenders skates. It was maddening!

Again, you'll notice that he was the only player backchecking on that sequence.

http://video.sharks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,639&event=S.J447&lang=en

Watch the goal again. Marleau tracks Kopitar all the way from the offensive goal-line, all the way back. Where's Couture? Where's Vlasic? What the **** is Boyle doing? Why don't Couture or Boyle move Brown out of the crease or protect Nemo? Why's Vlasic standing around? Marleau is the only one that does anything at all on the play. He's the only one fast enough to do anything. He took a smart penalty, disrupted Kopitar's shot and stopped him from getting an uncontested shot on goal. Look how fast he's going compared to Couture and Vlasic, who for their part are skating as fast as they can, and tell me that that goal is Marleau's fault and that he was "coasting".

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA

http://video.sharks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,639&event=S.J447&lang=en

Watch the goal again. Marleau tracks Kopitar all the way from the offensive goal-line, all the way back. Where's Couture? Where's Vlasic? What the **** is Boyle doing? Why don't Couture or Boyle move Brown out of the crease or protect Nemo? Why's Vlasic standing around? Marleau is the only one that does anything at all on the play. He's the only one fast enough to do anything. Look how fast he's going compared to Couture and Vlasic, who for their part are skating as fast as they can, and tell me that that goal is Marleau's fault and that he was "coasting".
Can't see the video on my phone right now. I admit I was at the game so I didn't have the benefit of a bunch of replays but from watching it live all I could think was "keep skating patty!"

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Can't see the video on my phone right now. I admit I was at the game so I didn't have the benefit of a bunch of replays but from watching it live all I could think was "keep skating patty!"

Take the time to watch the replay when you get home. He was the only one doing anything at all on the play. Boyle just sort of skated in no-man's land between the two forwards and waved his stick around, Couture and Vlasic were closer to Nemo than Marleau to stop the play but Marleau was the one that got all the way back.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Watch the goal again. Marleau tracks Kopitar all the way from the offensive goal-line, all the way back. Where's Couture? Where's Vlasic? What the **** is Boyle doing? Why don't Couture or Boyle move Brown out of the crease or protect Nemo? Why's Vlasic standing around? Marleau is the only one that does anything at all on the play. He's the only one fast enough to do anything. He took a smart penalty, disrupted Kopitar's shot and stopped him from getting an uncontested shot on goal. Look how fast he's going compared to Couture and Vlasic, who for their part are skating as fast as they can, and tell me that that goal is Marleau's fault and that he was "coasting".

I find his whiff more upsetting than the back check. I don't think people realize how big Anze is and how hard it is to stop him. Marleau did all he could and took a smart penalty.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I find his whiff more upsetting than the back check. I don't think people realize how big Anze is and how hard it is to stop him. Marleau did all he could and took a smart penalty.

He's been whiffing on a lot of shots recently. It suggests a shoulder issue to me.

parad0x

YOWZA!
Sep 18, 2009
Bay Area/ The OC
Just got back from the game. Burnsie and TJ were on fire tonight and Niemi looked pretty solid as well. i I was confused as to why the Sharks were wearing their white jerseys?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just got back from the game. Burnsie and TJ were on fire tonight and Niemi looked pretty solid as well. i I was confused as to why the Sharks were wearing their white jerseys?

Kings wanted to wear their blacks and the Sharks agreed.

heard that it was actually because the Kings wanted to wear their alternates originally (Which still would've needed the Sharks in white) but didn't for whatever reason and wore the blacks instead.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He's a 15 year vet in this league with 439 goals between the playoffs and regular seasons. He doesn't squeeze his stick.

What will the reason be if he continues to struggle? I know he kills penalties etc but ultimately he has to produce more offense if this team is going to go anywhere. Same for Thornton and Boyle and Havlat. I think its awesome the Sharks are winning despite those guys struggling to score or in Boyle's case to do anything positive but I wish they'd get hot going into the playoffs. Marleau should be highly motivated to redeem himself after his playoff performance last year.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
If you watch Richards' shootout attempt, Niemi does a little butterfly fake (goes down to the butterfly early, goes up for a split second, and then drops again), which seemed to cause Richards to try and go five-hole. Pretty awesome. :laugh:

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
If you watch Richards' shootout attempt, Niemi does a little butterfly fake (goes down to the butterfly early, goes up for a split second, and then drops again), which seemed to cause Richards to try and go five-hole. Pretty awesome. :laugh:

Especially because Richards knows he got hood winked and slams his stick on the ice :D

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011

I remember when Nemo got beat backhand high 3 times in a row in the shootout and I was worried every shooter was gonna do that but they keep trying to beat him low. Kopitar did beat Niemi when he went backhand high but luckily he shot too high. Carter tried to deke backhand for the third time that night but he's not gonna beat Niemi if he doesn't elevate the puck.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I think most goalies would get beat on a backhand high shot unless they can fully anticipate it coming. I remember that night where he let in those goals in the SO and they were almost impossible to stop.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I think most goalies would get beat on a backhand high shot unless they can fully anticipate it coming. I remember that night where he let in those goals in the SO and they were almost impossible to stop.

Or in Clowe's case, they can't stop it even if they anticipate it coming ;) Vrbata too.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What will the reason be if he continues to struggle? I know he kills penalties etc but ultimately he has to produce more offense if this team is going to go anywhere. Same for Thornton and Boyle and Havlat. I think its awesome the Sharks are winning despite those guys struggling to score or in Boyle's case to do anything positive but I wish they'd get hot going into the playoffs. Marleau should be highly motivated to redeem himself after his playoff performance last year.

Except he's not struggling. He's going up against the Kopitar's of the world on a nightly basis. He stated 90% of his shifts in the defensive zone tonight. I know everyone likes to say he's struggling, but he's not. I don't understand how one can watch that game and come to the conclusion that he stood out as being bad, when you can look at Pavelski, Boyle, Thornton who were all worse. That's not saying that Marleau was good (he wasn't), but neither was any other forward besides Burns/Galiardi/Torres.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
People want to keep ripping Marleau on the back-check. Kopitar had the position on him. That was the only thing he could do. I don't know what part of that people don't get. The whole 'keep skating' angle doesn't work when space is limited and the guy is directly in front of you. He did what he could to keep Kopitar from doing what he wanted. Boyle was too busy trying to kick the puck instead of tying up Brown's stick and that was the part that was weak on that goal.

He should've gone Knights of the Templar on Kopitar. That's the only way people would be happy with him on that goal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He should've gone Knights of the Templar on Kopitar. That's the only way people would be happy with him on that goal.

People are only happy with Marleau when he is scoring goals. Even though they should know by now that goal-scoring is streaky and inconsistent. Everything else is irrelevant to them. A big part of why Burns is able to keep his scoring pace up is because he's not out there against Kopitar most of the time on most nights. People should be happy he's getting his chances especially since they moved Havlat down to his line. They will bury them eventually. Just have to be patient which I know is difficult for people. lol

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It was nice to see the team in their home whites again where they belong!

whites at home? you mean the whites that only people under 20 remember being used at home? so why are they ruining tradition by wearing dark at home?

wearing darks at home is the tradition that was brought back, the league ruined the tradition of jerseys a few years back and finally smartened up after the lockout ended by going back to the darks at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad