GDT: Sacramento Kings @ San Jose Sharks 7:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Lots of players have been criticized in this thread. Unfortunately, around here, you can't criticize golden boy without it being referred to as bashing him. I literally cannot remember a play where he's been criticized that someone hasn't come to his defense. The most you get from his constant defenders is his game hasn't been great lately, but he's doing other things right. It's irritating and the main reason anything related to Marleau ends up in a pissing match around here.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Lots of players have been criticized in this thread. Unfortunately, around here, you can't criticize golden boy without it being referred to as bashing him. I literally cannot remember a play where he's been criticized that someone hasn't come to his defense. The most you get from his constant defenders is his game hasn't been great lately, but he's doing other things right. It's irritating and the main reason anything related to Marleau ends up in a pissing match around here.

I generally defend Marleau, but he's really not looked right lately at all. I suspect injury, but who knows.

Marleau does get a lot of extra hate. He's consistently one of our best point producers but does get absolutely brutalized by the fans everytime he has a slump. It's mostly because of his passive personality I think

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Is Irwin injured guys?

Don't think so, he's just sucked for a few games so they benched him. He's not used to this kind of load, probably a good idea to give him a couple games off to rest.

Should do the same with Boyle.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Don't think so, he's just sucked for a few games so they benched him. He's not used to this kind of load, probably a good idea to give him a couple games off to rest.

Should do the same with Boyle.

Exactly. Plus Hannan needs some games before the PO's and some time for Tmac to gauge his play, whether or not Tmac decides he's a starter for them.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
i would say marleau gets a lot of defenders because the hate is just over the top for the guy.

i mean who in his position has done extraordinarily better over their careers at that cap hit?

can he turn it on more often? i think so. but i know hes clutch, its a hard stat to really get into context, but he has a ton of game winners. that doesnt always mean that the game was tied and he put us over the top, but hes had the deciding goal more than any other player as far as i can tell.

also, who would you replace him with on our current roster to take top match ups? the fact that galiardi is scoring should tell you that marleau is doing his job in one way or another. will you be perfect against top matchups? nope, pretty much impossible. no one else on our team has the physical attributes minus burns and maybe torres to even keep up with other teams top lines and push play in a positive direction. its not an easy task he has been given.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
We won an absolute classic game!! There are so many other things to talk about than bag on Marleau or Burish. This game was a feather in our cap and we withstood the Big, Bad Kings physical game. This game was zooming from start to finish. I'm glad I was there for it.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
the time on ice site isnt working for me. how did our underlying numbers look against the number 1 possession team?

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I actually agree with Jux here, I think we'll find out he's injured. Wrist/Shoulder/Elbow or something. He just seems totally 'off'. He's in the right spots and getting glorious chances he's just wiffing and his accuracy is terrible (which is normally his strong suit).

It's gonna be like the last playoffs where it's just minor bumps and bruises but overall pretty healthy. :laugh:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I generally defend Marleau, but he's really not looked right lately at all. I suspect injury, but who knows.

Marleau does get a lot of extra hate. He's consistently one of our best point producers but does get absolutely brutalized by the fans everytime he has a slump. It's mostly because of his passive personality I think

His passive personality is one, but it isn't like Joe Thornton is a grab-life-by-the-horns type guy.

Part of it may be $$$. Marleau gets paid like Thornton and Boyle, and I don't think he is quite in their range of talent/contribution (especially when Boyle first came here).

If you think of Thornton being fairly paid, then it is easy to get mad at Marleau who is bringing less to the table. But if you think about it as Marleau getting fairly paid and JT taking a decent discount, it is easier to stomach.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I hate Stoll as much as the next guy but Demers cross checked him right in the back and followed through. That was as obvious a call as there is.

Not as obvious as Williams punching Wingels in the face while the ref just looked at them... Refs were terrible last night.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
His passive personality is one, but it isn't like Joe Thornton is a grab-life-by-the-Tusks type guy.

Part of it may be $$$. Marleau gets paid like Thornton and Boyle, and I don't think he is quite in their range of talent/contribution (especially when Boyle first came here).

If you think of Thornton being fairly paid, then it is easy to get mad at Marleau who is bringing less to the table. But if you think about it as Marleau getting fairly paid and JT taking a decent discount, it is easier to stomach.

Fixed :P

Thornton is a super likeable guy, he's funny, and jolly, and always has a smile on his face and something positive to say.

Marleau stares at the floor, spouts cliches and blinks a lot.

crunchyblack*

Thank you.

crunchyblack*

Again, shrugging off the entirety of his game because his offensive statistics aren't measuring up to your expectations. Doesn't matter that he's going up against the best the other team's got and that hampers offense nor does it matter that until they lined up Havlat with them just recently, his line had no play-makers on it. Doesn't matter that he's still seeing more ice time than the other forwards.

People need to stop pretending that just because the offense isn't there, and there are plenty of valid reasons for that, doesn't mean he's been useless. I think the coaches fully understand that they're sacrificing the offense Marleau can bring in the right situation to enhance the other guys and their production.

My god man, you only hear/see what you want to hear/see. There's no way in hell the coaches are sacrificing Marleau's skill to "enhance other people's production". Do you hear yourself? Marleau is a freaking SNIPER. He's paid to score goals. YES, he's great at other things like the PK, but this isn't why DW signed his ass until the next century at an absurd cap hit.

I'll give you that he might be injured, but either way, he's not doing for this team what he's signed to do. He's helping in other areas, but that isn't enough, as is blatantly obvious by this team either losing, or just squeaking out the W every game.

The big guns need to step it up, this includes Marleau, whether or not your love affair for him will let you see that.

Edit: And before you come back saying I have some Vendetta against Marleau, I don't. I love the guy. I love Thornton. Hell, all the great Canadian players who have came through the Sharks org are a huge part of why I love this team, Marleau and Thornton included. I'm just saying it how it is; They need to do more because we're not getting past the first round otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

TealTownUSA

Mar 30, 2010
refs were pretty bad. that fast paced hockey if we see them in the first round might be scary for us. they rebound and transition the other way in a heartbeat. jeebus!

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Not as obvious as Williams punching Wingels in the face while the ref just looked at them... Refs were terrible last night.

Or Burish's two-hander on Nolan. The refs were terrible but they weren't biased, I'll give them that. At one point I was worried it would devolve into something similar to the Wild game, because the refs were letting everything go like they did in that game.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
My god man, you only hear/see what you want to hear/see. There's no way in hell the coaches are sacrificing Marleau's skill to "enhance other people's production". Do you hear yourself? Marleau is a freaking SNIPER. He's paid to score goals. YES, he's great at other things like the PK, but this isn't why DW signed his ass until the next century at an absurd cap hit.

I'll give you that he might be injured, but either way, he's not doing for this team what he's signed to do. He's helping in other areas, but that isn't enough, as is blatantly obvious by this team either losing, or just squeaking out the W every game.

The big guns need to step it up, this includes Marleau, whether or not your love affair for him will let you see that.

3 years at 6.9m is the next century and an absurd cap hit? Critisize him all you want, but give me a freaking break with that. It was a great contract, especially considering the year he had just come off of.

It's still a good contract, not great, but considering he's 3rd on the team in points and tied for 1st in goals he's still one of our top-3 players and $6.9m for a veteran putting up those kinds of numbers is a good deal.

crunchyblack*

3 years at 6.9m is the next century and an absurd cap hit? Critisize him all you want, but give me a freaking break with that. It was a great contract, especially considering the year he had just come off of.

It's still a good contract, not great, but considering he's 3rd on the team in points and tied for 1st in goals he's still one of our top-3 players and $6.9m for a veteran putting up those kinds of numbers is a good deal.

I may have exaggerated quite a bit, but you don't get 6.9m a year to be a great penalty killer. You get my point.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I may have exaggerated quite a bit, but you don't get 6.9m a year to be a great penalty killer. You get my point.

I do, but even so he is still 3rd on the team in points and 1st in goals. Without him this season we would be much worse off, no matter how crappy he's playing at this moment.

crunchyblack*

I do, but even so he is still 3rd on the team in points and 1st in goals. Without him this season we would be much worse off, no matter how crappy he's playing at this moment.

Tied for 1st in goals with a 2nd (2.25 ? :P) year guy who makes a fraction of his salary (and is playing on the same line as him against the same competition).

I don't even agree with you that we would be THAT much worse off without him this season. Worse? Yes. Much worse? No not really, considering a huge portion of his points have been in a small number of games and earned a small fraction of our total points this season.

I'm just a concerned fan who wants to see this team succeed. We finally have some bottom 6 scoring (with Pavs finally centering the 3rd line again), some speed, and some pretty damn good goal tending - now all we need is the big guys to play up to their skill level and take this team to the cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Tied for 1st in goals with a 2nd (2.25 ? :P) year guy who makes a fraction of his salary (and is playing on the same line as him against the same competition).

I don't even agree with you that we would be THAT much worse off without him this season. Worse? Yes. Much worse? No not really, considering a huge portion of his points have been in a small number of games and earned a small fraction of our total points this season.

Couture is on an RFA deal, can't be compared. If Couture had been a UFA for his last deal... his contract would have been massive. Couture is absolutely coveted league wide, someone would have handed him a blank check.

I'm sorry, I don't care how you rationalize it, we would have lost more games without his 17 goals and 11 assists. even 2 or 3 more losses puts us barely in the playoffs, or just out of it. Team is worse without him especially considering we don't have anyone to replace him with.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Guessing the advanced stats that thejux used are the same kind of stats that makes him scared of the mighty kings?

Even though the sharks continue to prove all those mighty advanced stats mean diddly squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad