Prospect Info: Sabresprospects' new top 30 prospect ranking is out

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
For whoever decides to start the polling, I would push for the "alternate" polling method that we experimented with last fall after the normal poll, where everyone just submitted their complete rankings. If nobody remembers what I'm talking about, I can dig out the old thread.

Just do both like we did last time. It wasn't fall though, it overlapped with the trade deadline.

Maybe to mix things up, on that "submit your list" thread we could break the lists down to forward, defenseman, and goalie lists. :dunno: Personally I despise ranking goalies alongside skaters.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just do both like we did last time. It wasn't fall though, it overlapped with the trade deadline.

Maybe to mix things up, on that "submit your list" thread we could break the lists down to forward, defenseman, and goalie lists. :dunno: Personally I despise ranking goalies alongside skaters.

Seconded, with emphasis. Motion passes.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
For whoever decides to start the polling, I would push for the "alternate" polling method that we experimented with last fall after the normal poll, where everyone just submitted their complete rankings. If nobody remembers what I'm talking about, I can dig out the old thread.

Please do find it.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Seconded, with emphasis. Motion passes.

Agreed, but I enjoy the debate about where to place forwards and defensemen, taking into consideration organizational depth, likelihood of hitting ones ceiling, what role said ceiling fills in our unique situation... I think rob wanted to separate all three main positions, whereas I personally want to separate ALL skaters from goalies and only that.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Agreed, but I enjoy the debate about where to place forwards and defensemen, taking into consideration organizational depth, likelihood of hitting ones ceiling, what role said ceiling fills in our unique situation... I think rob wanted to separate all three main positions, whereas I personally want to separate ALL skaters from goalies and only that.

The crux of my idea was to just break away goalies from skaters. I proposed breaking skaters up more as food for thought. So long as goalies are separate, I think that's the way to go. I was only suggesting this for the submitted lists thread, with the polls taking place as normal, so those debates you reference will still exist there.

Please do find it.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1619709

I also suggest from the start we take advantage of the condorcet-style features for those who wish to, so that people can submit a top 20, top 30, or rank every single prospect, including the ability to assign two or more prospects an equivalent ranking. No one would be obligated to do that, but the OP should explain how that all works from the get go so people know about it. Last time that idea wasn't brought up until after many lists were submitted.

Last edited:

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
the guy struggling to score in the USHL has top 6 potential (Hurley)
the guy who put up .80 pts per game in the AHL doesn't

totally makes sense

It's like valuing a $2 scratch off ticket more than a $50 dollar bill....

And Carrier (a guy very high on my board, that I wanted to draft with our 1st 2nd rounder last year), if his development goes perfectly... then in 2 years, he'll be RIGHT where Larsson is today.

And this nonsense of Larsson being a "bottom 6" player is just that.... Larsson is on track to being a top 9 anywhere player...

This is the common flaw in ranking prospects... as good prospects, actually develop into good pros they fall down the rankings (and the new shiny toys get more hype)

Larsson is in my top 5. Development and NHL Projection matter... not just "hopes and dreams" potential.

I love Larsson but I just don't think Larsson has enough offensive skill to be a 2nd line forward on a decent team. He's not in my top 10 prospects but I believe he'll be one of the forwards we win the cup with!

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
The crux of my idea was to just break away goalies from skaters. I proposed breaking skaters up more as food for thought. So long as goalies are separate, I think that's the way to go. I was only suggesting this for the submitted lists thread, with the polls taking place as normal, so those debates you reference will still exist there.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1619709

I also suggest from the start we take advantage of the condorcet-style features for those who wish to, so that people can submit a top 20, top 30, or rank every single prospect, including the ability to assign two or more prospects an equivalent ranking. No one would be obligated to do that, but the OP should explain how that all works from the get go so people know about it. Last time that idea wasn't brought up until after many lists were submitted.

Okay, so your suggestion is to keep all prospects in the individuals, and do a separate FD condorcet list and a separate G condorcet list? Is that it?

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Cornel and Martin both went top 5 in there junior drafts. I believe we have yet to see the best of them

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Cornel and Martin both went top 5 in there junior drafts. I believe we have yet to see the best of them

This can't be weighed much. Doesn't matter where you get drafted going into the CHL, it is how you do when you get there and mature and develop.

Guillaume Latendresse went second to Sid. Angelo Esposito.... And those are guys you've heard of - imagine all of the ones you've never even heard mentioned?

You can't put much into that, especially considering they were 14 in the CHL draft year and such.

Rille

Jan 22, 2011
Örnsköldsvik
For me as a Swede is it facsinating that a second round pick from this year is ranked above Ullmark and that Johansson is ranked higher than Possler.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
For me as a Swede is it facsinating that a second round pick from this year is ranked above Ullmark and that Johansson is ranked higher than Possler.

I'd imagine that Possler's injury impacted his rank quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad