Speculation: Sabres Win NHL Draft Lottery

MillerTime

Apr 27, 2003
Halifax
I have season tickets for the Mooseheads. Hischier is unreal, he carries that team on his back most nights. I'd be pretty happy if we somehow had a chance at him

ende

Dec 12, 2005
This thread is hilarious. A top 3 pick in this years draft is not going to get you a top young blue liner! What the hell are you all smoking? And then there's talk of trading Nylander or Reinhart instead? It'll take more than either of them.

No 1st pairing defender is going to come to the Sabres through trade. It's completely out of the realm of reality.

It is draft or free agency from here on out.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If there's anyway to trade down and get Liljegren, and either get a dman back as part of the trade down or use the ammo to trade for a top 4 dman... sign me up.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
This thread is hilarious. A top 3 pick in this years draft is not going to get you a top young blue liner! What the hell are you all smoking? And then there's talk of trading Nylander or Reinhart instead? It'll take more than either of them.

No 1st pairing defender is going to come to the Sabres through trade. It's completely out of the realm of reality.

It is draft or free agency from here on out.

Oh yes I remember when Islanders drafted Nick Leddy and signed Johnny Boychuck in UFA. Oh wait. That didn't happen.

Dougie Hamilton was a real draft steal by the Flames. Oh wait.

It's about opportunity. It is possible to get a young top pairing defenseman through trade. It is impossible to do it at will however. The circumstances must be there and that has not happened yet after the tank. Patience is something a lot of people seem to lack.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Separately. I want to get two new defensemen. Who will come available if we wanted to trade the draft pick? How can anyone answer that?

No, who do you think will become available on the market if we put Reinhart and Kane on the market?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
No, who do you think will become available on the market if we put Reinhart and Kane on the market?

How would I know? I would be targeting someone that would qualify as a young top pair (or that potential) for Reinhart, and a very good #3 for Kane.

Last edited:

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Are you guys not very high on Liljegren??

I keep reading on the boards about taking Hischier before Liljegren. I really like Liljegren's game...his offensive skill is nasty. Needs work in his own zone like all young defenseman but he's definitely smart, plays hard, amazing skater.

I was just wondering because I thought for a while he was going to be the first defenseman off the board but I guess Hischier has taken over?

Right handed shot...would be a really nice fit behind Risto as McCabe's partner.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

I keep reading on the boards about taking Hischier before Liljegren. I really like Liljegren's game...his offensive skill is nasty. Needs work in his own zone like all young defenseman but he's definitely smart, plays hard, amazing skater.

I was just wondering because I thought for a while he was going to be the first defenseman off the board but I guess Hischier has taken over?

Right handed shot...would be a really nice fit behind Risto as McCabe's partner.

Liljegren's stock has been in free fall for a while now. Central Scouting had him as the 7th best European skater (iirc).

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I still like Liljegren. He's just not a top 5 defender.

His decision making needs work. He tries to make the tough play instead of the smart play. It's not hockey IQ, IMO, just youthful and brash decision making.

I think his stock will tumble in the same way Chychrun's has. If he's available when the Sabres pick, they should take him.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
His decision making needs work. He tries to make the tough play instead of the smart play. It's not hockey IQ, IMO, just youthful and brash decision making.

Spoke about this a few days ago here. Was the main reason why he fell for us to #3 (behind Hischier and Pettersson) already back in September (for Euros).

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Spoke about this a few days ago here. Was the main reason why he fell for us to #3 (behind Hischier and Pettersson) already back in September (for Euros).

Great breakdown. Same type of stuff I'm seeing when I watched him.

The good news is the two things he's not doing so well are completely fixable. His decision making isn't so much not knowing what to do, as just being a young horse who thinks he can do everything.

The coverage is flaw for a lot of young defensemen.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Thanks a lot guys! That makes more sense to me now, because I really liked his skill set and his playmaking. I didn't think he was that poor in his own zone, but I guess it's just his immaturity at this stage of his development as a player.

If his decision making isn't so much as not knowing what to do but just being young and making young mistakes...I think he could turn into a really solid top 4 NHLer. That means he's obviously a smart guy he just needs to learn his limits and get better.

Wouldn't mind taking him, I know he won't be able to contribute right away (like most defenseman) but I certainly think he'd be a hell of a partner for McCabe on the 2nd pair. Still leaves a hole on the top pair next to
Risto....(Guhle?!...lol)

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Thanks a lot guys! That makes more sense to me now, because I really liked his skill set and his playmaking. I didn't think he was that poor in his own zone, but I guess it's just his immaturity at this stage of his development as a player.

If his decision making isn't so much as not knowing what to do but just being young and making young mistakes...I think he could turn into a really solid top 4 NHLer. That means he's obviously a smart guy he just needs to learn his limits and get better.

Wouldn't mind taking him, I know he won't be able to contribute right away (like most defenseman) but I certainly think he'd be a hell of a partner for McCabe on the 2nd pair. Still leaves a hole on the top pair next to
Risto....(Guhle?!...lol)

I think his mistakes come from being a young kid and thinking he can outskate everyone and make all the hard passes. Teachable corrections, with some game experience.

Sounds like a great candidate to draft and send to the AHL.

7 11 14

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Keep having his dream where we win a top-2 lottery pick. LA calls needing a cost-controlled top 6 forward because they just don't score enough. They think the draft is top-heavy so they offer to swap picks this year and add Muzzin and maybe another piece (Lewis? 2018 1st?).

I'd take a scenario like that and run because not only are you not giving away prospects or mortgaging futures, you're simply moving back in the draft and improving the actual team greatly.

Again though, only dreaming. In reality, we're gonna draft 7th overall and overpay Karl Alzner.

sabres1212

Mar 31, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Keep having his dream where we win a top-2 lottery pick. LA calls needing a cost-controlled top 6 forward because they just don't score enough. They think the draft is top-heavy so they offer to swap picks this year and add Muzzin and maybe another piece (Lewis? 2018 1st?).

I'd take a scenario like that and run because not only are you not giving away prospects or mortgaging futures, you're simply moving back in the draft and improving the actual team greatly.

Again though, only dreaming. In reality, we're gonna draft 7th overall and overpay Karl Alzner.

As of right now theres about a 15% chance we got Top 3. The hockey gods screwed us twice when we lost out on the 1st overall and i can really see us getting a top 3 this year. Even if we do get top 3 this year it kinda sucks because theres no consensus #1 and #2 like the last two years. Ultimately I'm hoping we get #1 and trade it for someone like OEL straight up.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
As of right now theres about a 15% chance we got Top 3. The hockey gods screwed us twice when we lost out on the 1st overall and i can really see us getting a top 3 this year. Even if we do get top 3 this year it kinda sucks because theres no consensus #1 and #2 like the last two years. Ultimately I'm hoping we get #1 and trade it for someone like OEL straight up.

There were several reports that Arizona wouldn't trade oel for hometown boy matthews. I don't expect they would trade him for a much lesser prospect.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I haven't seen him lately, but I love Liljegren. He brings the kind of dynamic, electric element to the blue line our team is just completely lacking (and has been since Campbell save flashes from Myers). Maybe he's not worth a top 5 pick anymore? But I'd still love to get him.

As for the Chychrun slide comparison... still wish we had drafted Chychrun myself.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I haven't seen him lately, but I love Liljegren. He brings the kind of dynamic, electric element to the blue line our team is just completely lacking (and has been since Campbell save flashes from Myers). Maybe he's not worth a top 5 pick anymore? But I'd still love to get him.

As for the Chychrun slide comparison... still wish we had drafted Chychrun myself.

I'll bang that same drum for years. Chychrun would be out second best offensive defenseman already this year. That doesnt touch on his potential moving forward...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad