Speculation: Sabres Win NHL Draft Lottery

sabres1212

Mar 31, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Assuming the Sabres don't make the playoffs this year, we get to look forward to the Draft Lottery. If the Sabres win the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd spot, what should we do? Select Nolan Patrick, Nico Hischier or Gabe Vilardi? Trade it for a young top pairing defenseman? What are some scenarios that would happen if we were lucky enough to win a top 3 spot.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Trade down inside the top 10 picking up a top 4 D + and still holding on to a high pick.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Werenski or Hanifin

Make one of those trades happen bc that's the right age and they already have developed a bit.

Makes most of our core 20-23......drool

Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Hainifin & Risto for the next 7 years.....

Yes please

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Werenski or Hanifin

Make one of those trades happen bc that's the right age and they already have developed a bit.

Yes please

HECK YES this could work.

And I'm fully supporting this and mentioned it before (wishful thinking).

I'd trade that top 3 pick for Hanifin...I don't think Werenski is moved for anything but I'd slightly prefer him. They're both blue chippers who are going to be top pairing defenseman in time.

Either way getting either of those guys would be amazing for this team pairing them with Risto.

sabres1212

Mar 31, 2016
Buffalo, NY
HECK YES this could work.

And I'm fully supporting this and mentioned it before (wishful thinking).

I'd trade that top 3 pick for Hanifin...I don't think Werenski is moved for anything but I'd slightly prefer him. They're both blue chippers who are going to be top pairing defenseman in time.

Either way getting either of those guys would be amazing for this team pairing them with Risto.

Hanifin would be amazing with the sabres. I definitely think if we were to get 1,2,3 we need to trade it.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Werenski or Hanifin

Yes please

Why would either of those teams trade their #1 defensemen for a top 3 pick in a sub par draft. Carolina would likely rather move Faulk than Hanifin.

Getting a top 3 lottery pick would be fantastic as the Sabres could likely get a high quality defensive prospect and still remain in the top 10. I think trading for either of the defenseman would still be a pipe dream.

I've read reports that would have Pat Nolan going about sixth in last years draft. I'm not sure CBJ Or Carolina is willing to do that for any of the top prospects.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Hanifin would be amazing with the sabres. I definitely think if we were to get 1,2,3 we need to trade it.

Yeah he definitely would, same with Werenski. Anyone who's a young potential top pairing D would be spectacular for our team.

The thing is, this makes our defense significantly better but we also need to plug in another hole on the right side 2nd pairing behind Risto. Someone to partner with McCabe. A PMD RHD 2nd pairing.

I think Guhle is the 3rd pair locked down for next year (or the year after). Give him a veteran RHD on the 3rd pair to help him out defensively.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd prefer Werenski. But, as crazy as it sounds, I don't think CBJ trades Werenski for #1 overall.

Jets fan, in peace. That doesn't sound crazy at all. This year's draft is not that strong. This year's first doesn't nearly get you Werenski after the year he is having. It might give you a shot at Hanifin though. Even the 2nd might do that.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Why would either of those teams trade their #1 defensemen for a top 3 pick in a sub par draft. Carolina would likely rather move Faulk than Hanifin.

Getting a top 3 lottery pick would be fantastic as the Sabres could likely get a high quality defensive prospect and still remain in the top 10. I think trading for either of the defenseman would still be a pipe dream.

I've read reports that would have Pat Nolan going about sixth in last years draft. I'm not sure CBJ Or Carolina is willing to do that for any of the top prospects.

Seth Jones is CBJ's #1, not Werenski. As for Carolina, Slavin and Faulk are certainly ahead of Hanifin at this point, and you could probably make the argument for Pesce, as well.

I think Carolina would be far more inclined to make this deal than Columbus.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Seth Jones is CBJ's #1, not Werenski. As for Carolina, Slavin and Faulk are certainly ahead of Hanifin at this point, and you could probably make the argument for Pesce, as well.

Exactly.

They're definitely in need of a top centerman. If NP is there then they're certainly going to be inclined to pull the trigger.

Also keeping in mind that having a plethora of a certain positions (Defense vs. Forwards) also requires you to eventually pay big money when their ELCs/Bridge contracts are up.

Hanifin's ELC is up after next season. They've got an abundance of defenseman and losing him won't hurt them, it'll actually improve them because they get a potentially top 2 Centerman and badly need one.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Take Hischier and continue. There are a multitude of options, but you don't trade a number one pick IMO. Hischier to me is the best talent above Vilardi and Patrick. I would take him and run if that were to occur.

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
Take the best player available for the ELC. If forward, use your forward assets to trade for that defenseman.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I would take Nolan Patrick with 1st overall and if he turns out to be the next Ron Francis. I would trade someone like Reinhart for a quality D-Man or ROR.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If a miracle happens and we win #1/2 then I draft Patrick or Hischier. No team is trading a stud dman for #1 or 2. Adding a blue chip top line forward prospect is always nice. I assume that the Sabres will be contenders in the next 3-4 seasons so if Patrick/Hischier are performing as legit top 6 forwards on an ELC that would be phenomenal. Most likely whoever we draft would go back to juniors for another year anyway. Sabres would just have to acquire a dman elsewhere. Using Nylander+2018 1st or Reinhart. If the Sabres did win a top 2 pick then moving Reinhart for a Hanifin is a lot easier to swallow.

Nylander-RoR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-Patrick

McCabe-Risto
Hanifin-XX

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
We need goal scoring too. Outside of those 3, I'm intrigued by Middlestadt but other than that, I'd explore trading out

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

True, I guess it would be more appropriate to say #1 defense prospects. Hanifin should be a very good defenseman in this league. I don't know if a team like Carolina would be willing to trade him.

They do have a lot of defensive prospects and do need forwards.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Make calls. Ask around who's available. WHEN the other GMS tell you that the guys like Hanifin are not available, Draft BPA.

Not sure why people think that JUST because you have a high quality asset like a #1 draft pick, that the doors will open up. Team themselves are ALSO building their teams, and the pieces that we covet, MOST likely are just as coveted by their management/fanbase. There's a reason why we want those type of guys and those reasons are the same reason they want to keep them.

Keep adding talent to the pipeline, regardless of when you think they will become available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad