Sabres trade predictions

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that quote to mean he got a call on a player from someone he wasn't expecting to hear from on that player. Something to the effect of, "I bet you're surprised I'm calling about him." That's why I guessed Blues/Stewart in the Roster Speculation thread. I'm not positive about their cap situation (RIP Capgeek), but perhaps they're more willing to bring back a devil they do know--and who actually put up pretty good ES numbers for them while he was there--and reunite him with Stastny with the hope that they can find that old chemistry they had in Colorado. They've got an opening with the Patrick Kane injury, and their other playoff bugaboo (LA) is in a dogfight just to make the playoffs. Perhaps they're thinking about beefing up their roster and really going for it this season.

Plus, Strickland is very much a Blues insider--far more than for any other team--so his tweet about Stewart this morning has me thinking that St. Louis has an offer in on Stewart and they're waiting on Murray to see what direction he goes.

That could very well be the case. I had it on at work and wasn't listening as intently as I'd have liked.

That makes Stewart to STL very, very interesting.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that quote to mean he got a call on a player from someone he wasn't expecting to hear from on that player. Something to the effect of, "I bet you're surprised I'm calling about him." That's why I guessed Blues/Stewart in the Roster Speculation thread. I'm not positive about their cap situation (RIP Capgeek), but perhaps they're more willing to bring back a devil they do know--and who actually put up pretty good ES numbers for them while he was there--and reunite him with Stastny with the hope that they can find that old chemistry they had in Colorado. They've got an opening with the Patrick Kane injury, and their other playoff bugaboo (LA) is in a dogfight just to make the playoffs. Perhaps they're thinking about beefing up their roster and really going for it this season.

Plus, Strickland is very much a Blues insider--far more than for any other team--so his tweet about Stewart this morning has me thinking that St. Louis has an offer in on Stewart and they're waiting on Murray to see what direction he goes.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/cap/

Spotrac my friend. Very useful and it actually encompasses ALL four major sports leagues. I love this site.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Any chance the Rangers could be in on Stewart? Haven't seen him mentioned at all there but the Rangers could be in for a long playoff run and a physical player may be what they could use.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
my only prediction is that mitchell will fetch a little more than expected (if traded). i think he has several attributes that playoff teams like to add more of. not gonna bother to predict what the return will be, just that it will be classified as a "pleasant surprise."

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
my only prediction is that mitchell will fetch a little more than expected (if traded). i think he has several attributes that playoff teams like to add more of. not gonna bother to predict what the return will be, just that it will be classified as a "pleasant surprise."
Eh I don't know... he was on waivers this time of year last season. I think a 4th for him would be what to expect.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Stewart: 2nd + Conditional 4th
Mitchell: 3rd or 4th
Meszaros: 3rd
Benoit: Stays
Strachen: Stays
Neuvirth: Conditional 4th

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I believe TM when he says players not under contract next year will be moved.

Stewart: 2nd or moved with a pick to move up/Prospect
Mitchell: 3rd or moved with a pick to move up/Prospect
Meszaros: 6th
Benoit: 6th
Strachen: 6th
Neuvirth: Stays and re-signs a 1 or 2 yr extension.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
Eh I don't know... he was on waivers this time of year last season. I think a 4th for him would be what to expect.

yeah i could easily be wrong. just seems like playoff teams covet guys that are above average skaters and can kill penalties well that they can plug anywhere into the bottom 6. maybe thats worth less than i think, even if playoff teams do seek it. i just have a feeling...

The Washer

Feb 7, 2011
This is what I'm expecting, though I think Murray might be able to get a playoff team to part with a little more than a fifth for Mitchell.

I also can't shake the feeling that he's going to move a guy like Mike Weber. Don't ask why.

Murray mentioned on WGR yesterday that he took a call on a player he didn't think anyone would call for. Anyone care to wager who?

I interpreted it as the calling GM was offering his "can you believe he is available" player to TM. Using this interpretation ive been dreaming big...Crosby\Malkin? Read SJ article about wanting youth in net and thought Neuvy then had a Couture thought?

The "Phone call" interestingly parallels with the rumors surrounding the BlackHawks locker room. Kan Lightening strike twice in the same month? I wanna say the name....It Kant possibly be THAT name?? Kan() it? :handclap::handclap:

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
The only player on the roster that really qualifies in my mind as a "wait a sec...you're calling about WHO?" kind of shock would be Lindback.

He's the only one I really feel like Murray would be surprised about another team (any other team) having interest.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Winnipeg is still looking for a forward. Maybe Stewart was tossed around to Chevy earlier in the year and he went with Stafford instead. Now he's back for seconds.

Last edited:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Stewart for a second this year or a 3rd thisyear and second next year. Mitchell for a 4th next year. Neuwirth for a third next year.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Stewart for a second this year or a 3rd thisyear and second next year. Mitchell for a 4th next year. Neuwirth for a third next year.

I suspect that Murray will want - and get - some warm bodies in return for his UFAs, not just picks. But if he doesn't, I'm OK with that too - as long as he dumps the dead wood and ensures the 30th finish.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
I think only one guy gets moved and thats Mitchell for a 4th.
Don't think teams will pay what TM wants for Stewart

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
I think only one guy gets moved and thats Mitchell for a 4th.
Don't think teams will pay what TM wants for Stewart

Murray wont get caught holding the bag at 3pm... The price will come down as the deadline approaches, but leading up to then he will be trying to create a bidding war.

RW Chris Stewart to BOS for 2015 2nd RND pick [PHI]
- or -
RW Chris Stewart to CGY for C/W Max Reinhart + Cond. 2016 3rd/4th (3rd if Stewie re-signed before 7/1/15)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

C/W Torrey Mitchell + D Andrej Meszaros (50% retained) to VAN for 2015 4th RND pick + D Andrey Pedan

G Michael Neuvirth to NSH for G Magnus Hellberg
- or -
G Michael Neuvirth + 2015 4th RND pick to VAN for G Jacob Markstrom

Benoit & Strachen will not move.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I expect Stewart and Mitchell to be gone tomorrow. Mez, Benoit, and Weber stay for tank reasons.

I wouldn't mind offering Stewart a 3 year deal in the offseason, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: