Confirmed with Link: Sabres to Play Outdoor Game vs Leafs in Hamilton

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres to play in 2022 Heritage Classic in Hamilton, Ont. against Maple Leafs

Updated from:

Nothing is official but multiple sources say plans are in the works for the Sabres and Toronto Maple Leafs to play an NHL Heritage Classic game at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton, Ont., with March 13 currently a target date.

The Sabres would be the home team for the outdoor game, with Hamilton essentially equidistant from Buffalo and Toronto. But just like games vs. the Leafs in downtown Buffalo, it's likely much of the crowd would be in favor of the Leafs.

It will the highest revenue producing game on the schedule. Could it lead to the Sabres playing more games in Hamilton like the Toronto Bills?

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Sabres could be headed to Hamilton for outdoor game vs. Maple Leafs

Nothing is official but multiple sources say plans are in the works for the Sabres and Toronto Maple Leafs to play an NHL Heritage Classic game at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton, Ont., with March 13 currently a target date.

The Sabres would be the home team for the outdoor game, with Hamilton essentially equidistant from Buffalo and Toronto. But just like games vs. the Leafs in downtown Buffalo, it's likely much of the crowd would be in favor of the Leafs.

It will the highest revenue producing game on the schedule. Could it lead to the Sabres playing more games in Hamilton like the Toronto Bills?
Hmmmm....... maybe we should ponder on that last point a little bit....... Especially should season tickets sales go/stay flat and the border stays closed...

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hmmmm....... maybe we should ponder on that last point a little bit....... Especially should season tickets sales go/stay flat and the border stays closed...

So, my understanding was that since the NHL does all the logistics for outdoor games, they essentially cut the "home" team a check for what would be a home arena sellout and keep the rest. Buffalo would make a good bit off of merchandise sales, etc though .

Any leafs home game this year would be 90% leaf fans anyways, no harm in having it outdoors.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I think I speak for the majority of Hamiltonians when I say, I don't believe this horsesh!t for one second but I sure hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Moncton man

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Interesting. Seems plausible. Probably won't happen but would be nice if after Buffalo season ticket holders have an opportunity to buy tickets that Canadian ex-season ticket holders that opted out/canceled for the 21/22 season are offered an opportunity. I don't know if opting out was an option, too lazy to research. Given the game involves Toronto, the ticket prices for recent outdoor games in the NHL and the ticket prices for the Grey Cup the prices will be comically high. Maybe not quite as high as the recently released Bills home opener ($300 for 300 level and $600 for middle field 100s) but still high.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
star-wars-admiral-ackbar.gif

Beware an elaborate ruse where the game is played on a customized frozen section of the Hamilton harbor. At the end of the game, the Leafs go to center ice, salute their fans, and skate off. The Sabres, as the home team going last, skate to center ice to salute their fans. In a scene reminiscent of "Sudden Death" filmed at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena / "Igloo", a periphery of synchronized detonation charges cause the center ice circle to drop into the harbor, taking the Sabres to the bottom of the chilly abyss, and ending the collective Sabres fan misery of the past decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moncton man

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Beware an elaborate ruse where the game is played on a customized frozen section of the harbor. At the end of the game, the Leafs go to center ice, salute their fans, and skate off. The Sabres, as the home team going last, skate to center ice to salute their fans. In a scene reminiscent of "Sudden Death" filmed at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena / "Igloo", a periphery of synchronized detonation charges cause the center ice circle to drop into the harbor, taking the Sabres to the bottom of the chilly abyss, and ending the Sabres fan's misery of the past decade.

Hrmmm, are we taking a fan vote on this? I'm torn.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
I think I speak for the majority of Hamiltonians when I say, I don't believe this horsesh!t for one second but I sure hope I'm wrong.
Smells worse than going over the bridge to Burlington? I'm on the east coast now but grew up in Hamilton and St. Catharines. Knew we were home when the factory smell woke you up in the car.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There was a mistake: The game isn't being played in Hamilton, ON it's being played at Paul Brown Stadium in Hamilton County, OH due to our affiliation with the Cyclones.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Beware an elaborate ruse where the game is played on a customized frozen section of the Hamilton harbor. At the end of the game, the Leafs go to center ice, salute their fans, and skate off. The Sabres, as the home team going last, skate to center ice to salute their fans. In a scene reminiscent of "Sudden Death" filmed at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena / "Igloo", a periphery of synchronized detonation charges cause the center ice circle to drop into the harbor, taking the Sabres to the bottom of the chilly abyss, and ending the collective Sabres fan misery of the past decade.

Never happen.

The Leafs wouldn't do us that kind of favor. They need the Sabres to exist so their fans can afford to watch them play in person.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda

Isn't Hamilton harbor a commercial-industrial place? Not good atmosphere for a hockey game..

Reactions: brian_griffin

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
I remember a time before the franchise wasn't completely destroyed, where this topic would be up to numerous pages by now. People would be amped up and trying to make plans to go.

I couldnt care less at this point to be honest. The only good thing is that they are playing against an actual class/relevant/professional organization who will probably force them to ice some sort of alumni team.

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
Pretty sure this will be the first time an American-based team will be playing in the Heritage Classic. That's always been between two Canadian teams in the past. And technically it's a Sabres home game even though the crowd will surely be 95% Leafs fans.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Pretty sure this will be the first time an American-based team will be playing in the Heritage Classic. That's always been between two Canadian teams in the past. And technically it's a Sabres home game even though the crowd will surely be 95% Leafs fans.

It's been a spell since I've been to Marine Midland Arena but isn't that normal for a Leafs/Sabres match?

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This is the second time the Pegulas have essentially prostituted a home game and de facto turned it into a home game for the opposing team. Could you imagine a real NHL franchise like the Flyers, Bruins, Pens ect. doing something like this once let alone multiple times?

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
This is the second time the Pegulas have essentially prostituted a home game and de facto turned it into a home game for the opposing team. Could you imagine a real NHL franchise like the Flyers, Bruins, Pens ect. doing something like this once let alone multiple times?

NJ and NYI both hosted NYR in Yankee Stadium

Reactions: joshjull

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
NYR is only allowed to play their home games at MSG per their contract which is why we were the "home" team for that outdoor game.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
NJ and NYI both hosted NYR in Yankee Stadium
I will tell you for a fact that there were a far higher percentage of Isles and NJD fans at those games than there will be Sabres fans at The Donut Box. And comparing that to this is apples to oranges.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad