Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign goalie Michael Houser

FormerSabresFan

Sep 14, 2015
Tokarski played well for a couple of games and people were asking whether he is good enough to be the back up next year.

Tokarski doesn't look as good as the sample size becomes larger.

Houser plays well for a couple of games and people were asking whether he is good enough to be the back up next year.

The thing is that neither Tokarski nor Houser should be the Sabres back up next season. They should once again be depth players as the Sabres will likely need 3 to 5 goalies to play next year.

Exactly. I'm fine keeping them both in the system for extra depth but unless Tokarski and Houser are no higher than 4th or 5th on the depth chart it's going to be another long season next year...

I'm really happy for both of them and for the team, I feel these are great character wins, but it's a mistake thinking these guys are more than depth-level...they're good quality depth level, but still just depth.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah, about Houser being a late developing gem....

Capture.JPG

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Yeah, about Houser being a late developing gem....

To be fair, the stats are largely a factor of getting absolutely obliterated last night. Of the 8 goals allowed, certainly not all were his fault. Yeah, there were a few he'd want back........but I think the "he is what he is" applies here.

He's not a full-time NHL goalie. He's shown he can come in for a game or two and look passable. Pretty much what you'd expect out of an organizational 3rd/4th goalie. He's certainly been better than I thought for an organizational SIXTH goalie.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To be fair, the stats are largely a factor of getting absolutely obliterated last night. Of the 8 goals allowed, certainly not all were his fault. Yeah, there were a few he'd want back........but I think the "he is what he is" applies here.

He's not a full-time NHL goalie. He's shown he can come in for a game or two and look passable. Pretty much what you'd expect out of an organizational 3rd/4th goalie. He's certainly been better than I thought for an organizational SIXTH goalie.

I was referring to the posts in this thread suggesting that Houser should be the organizational #2 next season.

Reactions: jc17

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Yesterday was an awful game and yes - all of the goals were not his fault. But he did look pretty bad on several of them. In fairness to the young man (as Rob Ray would say) - it was only his 3rd NHL game, prior to this week he hadn't played a game at any level in over a year, and was coming off back to back games which he won - that were full of adrenaline, excitement, and a certainly some degree of overachievement. I think it was only natural to have a game in which he came back down to earth.

That said, I think he has earned a contract with the organization at a level to be determined. I do think he deserves a fair shot at being our AHL backup as a starting point. Of course that may end up being Tokarski, so he could be back in the ECHL just as easily

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad